LG V20 Sound Quality
Nov 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #826 of 4,141
I've only seen the 2V spec just once (separately) for each of them and I doubt it was for rms.

Most portables are under 2V. Only ones like the QP1R, AK players, and a few others exceed it so I doubt the V10/V20 could output that much rms power. Battery wouldn't last more than 4-5 hours if it did. Bet that's one reason why LG uses the auto-impedance sensing.

Agreed, seems likely.

I saw the 2V rms quoted by the ESS marketing copy.

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #828 of 4,141
I think the pixel doesn't have anything but the integrated DAC on the 820 SOC.  Which wouldn't be horrible if it provided a decent headphone amp.  You would think a phone as expensive as the pixel would've included some decent parts (outside of the camera).    Everything seems very average to me on a phone that is supposed to be state of the art.  Although really, I guess phones have advanced so much, there's not much else that you can add to provide that wow factor from year to year.  Audio is the new thing, focus on that.  Blah.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #829 of 4,141
  I think the pixel doesn't have anything but the integrated DAC on the 820 SOC.  Which wouldn't be horrible if it provided a decent headphone amp.  You would think a phone as expensive as the pixel would've included some decent parts (outside of the camera).    Everything seems very average to me on a phone that is supposed to be state of the art.  Although really, I guess phones have advanced so much, there's not much else that you can add to provide that wow factor from year to year.  Audio is the new thing, focus on that.  Blah.

It has the Qualcomm "Aqstic" which I guess is a step above the normal Snapdragon DAC, but either way I have not plugged in any earphones to it since I got my V20 :)

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #830 of 4,141
Either way it makes my Pixel seem pathetic :)

It has the Qualcomm "Aqstic" which I guess is a step above the normal Snapdragon DAC, but either way I have not plugged in any earphones to it since I got my V20 :)

Pixel does have Qualcomm Aquatic

However judging by the mixer_path.xml setting discrepancies when compared to HTC 10, Snapdragon Note 7, Xiomia Mi5 ; Pixel settings are not on HIFI and thus I feel the audio was not optimized.

[Rx Headphone Mode value =CLS_H_HIFI on all but Pixel.
Pixel reads CLS_H_LOHIFI, which doesn't match the other Aqstic value settings]*

Specs for Aqstic:frowning2:https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/821)
Audio
Audio Technology
Qualcomm Aqstic™ audio technology
Qualcomm Aqstic™ audio codec playback support
192kHz 24-bit lossless audio playback

Qualcomm Aqstic™ Speaker Amplifier output power
Up to 4W output power

Qualcomm Aqstic™ technology

Qualcomm Aqstic™ audio codec

Qualcomm Aqstic™ speaker amplifier with Speaker Protection

If you look at Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 feature set listed on their site; the Aqstic is missing as a feature. : www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/820

I think the 8996 processor with Aqstic was changed to an 821 for classification sakes. Which is why there is no speed changes and mainly just the Efficiency which could also be contributed to the Aqstic DAC/amp. Since Qualcomm advertises improved efficiency utilizing Aqstic over their initial 820 SOC offering.

Looking at the specifications of the Aqstic DAC/codec/amp some optimization definitely seems to be missing from the Pixel devices.

LG went a different route by not paying Qualcomm for Aqstic Audio access and thus implementing their own DAC/AMP solution.

HTC said they weren't using the standard Snapdragon 820 SOC audio offering, but have not dented using Aqstic which Qualcomm says HTC 10 was using Aqstic.

With HTC Bolt lacking Headphone Jack....I'm really hoping HTC doesn't make no Headphone Jack the norm.

That would only leave LG as offering built-in Headphone optimization.

Seems like a crazy industry move, just when Qualcomm actually gave a noteworthy effort in terms of Aqstic specs. (Yet, the manufacturers are abandoning the Headphone Jack...like sorry Qualcomm but it is too late)

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #831 of 4,141
A lot of phones these days are taking the Apple route of "put in good hardware then cripple it in the interest of power/heat saving."

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #833 of 4,141
I think that's because everyone says they want battery life, but in reallity they don't want the larger size that brings.

Unless that larger size includes the screen.

Phones have all become phablets thanks to backwards trends. Those screens account for roughly half of all battery drain.

My old Nokia 808 with a 4inch oled screen and an upgraded 3000mAh battery can go almost a full week between charges. If phones still had more pocketable screen sizes along with that latest battery tech we wouldn't be talking about whether they could go a full day without needed a recharge.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #834 of 4,141

Unless that larger size includes the screen.

Phones have all become phablets thanks to backwards trends. Those screens account for roughly half of all battery drain.

My old Nokia 808 with a 4inch oled screen and an upgraded 3000mAh battery can go almost a full week between charges. If phones still had more pocketable screen sizes along with that latest battery tech we wouldn't be talking about whether they could go a full day without needed a recharge.

That's because you didn't do anything with it. If you turn off data and only use modern phones for the occasional text and phone call they'll last a long time, too. 

Phones today are basically tiny laptops and everyone's all surprised they can't go days on a battery charge. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #835 of 4,141

That's because you didn't do anything with it. If you turn off data and only use modern phones for the occasional text and phone call they'll last a long time, too. 

Phones today are basically tiny laptops and everyone's all surprised they can't go days on a battery charge. 

Why would you assume this?

Do I assume that by 'a long time' you mean 2-3 days of occasional use? Then I'm talking about getting over 3 straight days of heavy use. But who needs that?

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #836 of 4,141

Why would you assume this?

Do I assume that by 'a long time' you mean 2-3 days of occasional use? Then I'm talking about getting over 3 straight days of heavy use. But who needs that?

What would be heavy use?

I have had the LGV20 for a week now. So far so good but it is not a DAP replacement. I think it is a decent phone with great audio and the ability to swap the battery is icing on the cake. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #839 of 4,141
  What would be heavy use?

I have had the LGV20 for a week now. So far so good but it is not a DAP replacement. I think it is a decent phone with great audio and the ability to swap the battery is icing on the cake. 

Like using wifi and/or data frequently (but not necessarily 100% of the time) and the screen being on for 50% of the whatever runtime is being measured.

Current smartphones might get a full day of heavy use per battery/charge.

Not sure how long the V20 lasts but there are battery monitoring apps (or Android's battery usage screen) that tell how much juice each feature is using.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #840 of 4,141
I highly recommend this LG headset, it is really a great Bluetooth device, and with the v20, or g5, it can do HD audio playback through Bluetooth.

The sound once you manage to turn bass boost on, (otherwise it sounded way to Treble orientated, with the hbs-1100, (and make sure it's burnt in sounded pretty bad the first few hours), is then superb.
It's really great, that a tiny micro bud, designed buy Harmen & karden, can have such a full sound. I wear this thing 24hrs a day lately. Lol

Seriously have been considering buying a v20 now, for aptxHD, but might wait till the price drops, and live with the super tough V10 for a few more months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back