LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 8, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #1,381 of 4,141
Got my v20 today.  I'm upgrading from v10.  They sound quite different to my ears.

The v20 is definitely brighter and more analytical.  Somewhat harsh to my ears, but not necessarily a bad thing.  Very loud too.  I usually like my music loader than others and if someone says the v20 isn't loud they seriously need their ears checked and im not being sarcastic.   

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #1,382 of 4,141
As a new lg v20 owner and now starting to listen with er4s iems .
From what i hear thus far ..
Er4s have never sounded better , warmth and soundstage .
I believe lg have done something special here with sound quality that i find it hard to believe it's a smartphone as well
wink.gif

Does anyone know of a lg v20 case with a large headphone opening ?
Cheers jono

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,384 of 4,141
  Got my v20 today.  I'm upgrading from v10.  They sound quite different to my ears.

agree, V20 seems cleaner, but bass is less defined.
maybe its current drive capability is weaker than V10. i'll run some test under low resistance dummy load.

personally i prefer V10 for now.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,385 of 4,141
They're not as good as a pair of $40.00 Koss Portapros, that much I can tell you. To me, the H3s have attenuated bass, forward mids, and accented albeit slightly rolled off highs. I said in a previous post that I'd be upset if I paid retail for them. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

I do have a set of Comply down tips on order though to help with the seal. Perhaps I'll change my opinion a bit then as the silicon tips are awful.

Ok, I just got the ones that LG mails to you and it sounds pretty decent to me (bass is a little bloated); I also had to make a little adjustment in the highs (little recessed; added 'quad' equalizer setting).  Once I got a really tight seal, it absolutely blows away the cheap apple buds and is just about better than most of the sub $100 'cans that I've heard.  I've never heard the portapros so can't compare.  I wouldn't pay $150 for these but I'd pay around $75-$100.

I was going to give them away but now I'm keeping them for the gym and saving my IEMS.  

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,386 of 4,141

Ok, I just got the ones that LG mails to you and it sounds pretty decent to me (bass is a little bloated); I also had to make a little adjustment in the highs (little recessed; added 'quad' equalizer setting).  Once I got a really tight seal, it absolutely blows away the cheap apple buds and is just about better than most of the sub $100 'cans that I've heard.  I've never heard the portapros so can't compare.  I wouldn't pay $150 for these but I'd pay around $75-$100.

I was going to give them away but now I'm keeping them for the gym and saving my IEMS.  

I was debating giving my Mee M6 Pro away to my kids and keeping the H3, but not sure anymore. I think the M6 Pro are pretty decent for their price point.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,388 of 4,141
V10 vs V20 lineout to ASUS Xonar D2X @ 24bit (ADC CS5381, DR 120db, THD+N -110db), maximum volume.

V20's DAC has significantly lower distortion than V10 indeed!
NOTICE: please ignore those low-to-mid frequency, 60hz based harmonics on V10, they are LCD interference and will disappear when screen is turned off!

FR and crosstalk look weird.

what's more shocking is the sweep frequency IMD curve:

i thought V10 should be better than this, but i re-tested several times, at different sample rates, all leads to the same thing as above.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,389 of 4,141
maybe its current drive capability is weaker than V10. i'll run some test under low resistance dummy load.

Do you have the regular V20 or the B&O tuned version?

I found that the V20 is warmer and has more body than the V10. Vocals and instruments sound more realistic with a more believable timbre. The V10 always came across as bright when I plugged my IE 80s into them. It was great for many songs since it made them sound more exciting than they really were. The V20 has just slightly less treble extension and a hint of warmth in the midrange.

I tested my IE 80s out of many sources (Chord Mojo, Schiit Fulla, Oppo Bdp 105, V20 and V10) they sound different depending on the source but with the V10 it was obvious that tonally they sounded completely different then when they were plugged into Mojo.

Mojo made it sound natural and smooth with some lushness. The V10 made them sound bright and exciting all the time.

The V20 and Oppo sound very similar actually. The lower noise floor and tuning on the V20 is contributing to a smoother more realistic sound.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #1,390 of 4,141
  V10 vs V20 lineout to ASUS Xonar D2X @ 24bit (ADC CS5381, DR 120db, THD+N -110db), maximum volume.

FR and crosstalk look weird, it's more likey a software issue rather than hardware issue.

i thought V10 should be better than this, but i re-tested several times, at different sample rates, all leads to the same thing as above.

where did you get this from?

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #1,391 of 4,141

Still in my early runs of testing, but V20 bass to me seems alot cleaner and defined, but not necessarily better.  May I ask what Iem you are using?  I think analytical iem pairs best with the v20.

I can't say which one I prefer yet, but I definitely can see how you could prefer the v10.  

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,392 of 4,141
Well, I just tried my new Shedua Wood LCD-2 on the V20... it not only has good bass (not great quantities mind you), but it definitely engages "Hi gain" mode. Sounds really nice. The crap extension cable I got is somehow shorting on 1 side now... so it needs to be replaced. The one that Audeze gives you (I believe it is the Grado one), is excellent...but too big. So, does anyone have a list of cases that has large openings for headphone jack? The one I have (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYG9BOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) the headphone jack is much too small. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #1,393 of 4,141

FR and crosstalk look weird, it's more likey a software issue rather than hardware issue.

Nice. Good see some plots.

The crosstalk on the V20 is so flat it could be software, but it looks like a common resistance on the ground return. Most likely a layout issue. Crosstalk at -70dB and below is probably not a delibarate DSP feature.

To me I would guess the amp is the improvement. DACs don't have that much intermod

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,394 of 4,141
Nice. Good see some plots.

The crosstalk on the V20 is so flat it could be software, but it looks like a common resistance on the ground return. Most likely a layout issue. Crosstalk at -70dB and below is probably not a delibarate DSP feature.

To me I would guess the amp is the improvement. DACs don't have that much intermod

If software accounts for any part of those measurements perhaps Android 7 makes a difference. Might be more accurate to retest them after the V10 gets it's 7.0 update within the next few months.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,395 of 4,141
Do you have the regular V20 or the B&O tuned version?

I found that the V20 is warmer and has more body than the V10. Vocals and instruments sound more realistic with a more believable timbre. The V10 always came across as bright when I plugged my IE 80s into them. It was great for many songs since it made them sound more exciting than they really were. The V20 has just slightly less treble extension and a hint of warmth in the midrange.

B&O branded (imho there is no tuning) korean version F800.
yes, V10 does have a little V smile compared to V20.

Still in my early runs of testing, but V20 bass to me seems alot cleaner and defined, but not necessarily better.  May I ask what Iem you are using?  I think analytical iem pairs best with the v20.

I can't say which one I prefer yet, but I definitely can see how you could prefer the v10.  

yes, V20 really is cleaner and smoother than V10, and more defined in the mid range.
my feeling for now is that its bass is a little more congested than V10, but it might be a masking effect of more defined mid range.

i use SE846, it has tremendous sub bass amount & extension, paired with ultra low impedance = higher requirement on amp current and internal impedance than its sensitivity (114db) suggests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back