LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,411 of 4,141
If apple can manage 0.7 ohm on the iPhone 7 adapter dongle, the ESS amp should be able to. But until someone measures it...

from what i know, most chinese hifi smartphone manufacturers add a large (dozens of ohms) series resistor in the output path, to control the noise floor for low impedance loads, so they don't need to switch between low/high gain mode like LG does (by effectively pushing all loads into high gain mode).
that is an ugly stinking What solution, but everybody does it...maybe electrical damping is not as important for headphones as it is for large speakers? i'm not sure...do we have T/S parameters for headphone drivers?
other devices include a small series resistor for opamp stability.
the native output impedance of hifi codec/amp is quite low, i don't know the exact number but it is in the sub ohm range.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,413 of 4,141
They're quite acceptable for the gym but for extended listening, I have to use my CIEMs as the deep insertion that is needed irritates my ears.  I guess that's why I got CIEMs...

CJ
L3000.gif

Quote:
They finally arrived!

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,415 of 4,141
  Congrats! Mine have been shipped and are on the way :)

They're quite acceptable for the gym but for extended listening, I have to use my CIEMs as the deep insertion that is needed irritates my ears.  I guess that's why I got CIEMs...

CJ
L3000.gif

Check them out well. Mine came with loose connection in the 3.5mm connector for the right ear. If I touch the strain relief, I can hear crackle and the volume rises and falls. Yea, I can almost accept that in $5 headphones, but definitely not on ones that are supposed to be $150.  I wonder if I should re-terminate. Do we get warranty on these?

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,416 of 4,141

Check them out well. Mine came with loose connection in the 3.5mm connector for the right ear. If I touch the strain relief, I can hear crackle and the volume rises and falls. Yea, I can almost accept that in $5 headphones, but definitely not on ones that are supposed to be $150.  I wonder if I should re-terminate. Do we get warranty on these?

Yes, I got a slip that said it had warranty on it.  1-800-793-8896; www.lgmobilerepair.com

Good luck.

CJ

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,417 of 4,141

Yes, I got a slip that said it had warranty on it.  1-800-793-8896; www.lgmobilerepair.com

Good luck.

CJ

Interesting... I'll have to double-check, but I got a manual... but no slip for warranty. Thanks for the info.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,418 of 4,141
Where would you rank the B&O H3s among the Hifiman RE-400 and Beyerdynamic IDX200?
Mine have only shipped, I won't have them until Tues or Wed.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,419 of 4,141
  Where would you rank the B&O H3s among the Hifiman RE-400 and Beyerdynamic IDX200?
Mine have only shipped, I won't have them until Tues or Wed.

I had the H3 and RE-400 and IMO it comes down to your bass/treble preference. The H3 is a little fuzzier and bassier, the 400 drier and brighter. But both are decent in their own ouevre. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,420 of 4,141
Anybody else here just use an LG V20 as their source like me? I think a lot of people are overlooking its versatility, I didn't even realize it at first, but it can power my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm at a reasonable volume when it automatically switches to high impedance mode and powered my custom Spartan great (with no hiss at least to my ears and I'm 17 so I'm fairly sensitive to it) before I had to send them in to tighten the fit.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,421 of 4,141
Anybody else here just use an LG V20 as their source like me? I think a lot of people are overlooking its versatility, I didn't even realize it at first, but it can power my Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm at a reasonable volume when it automatically switches to high impedance mode and powered my custom Spartan great (with no hiss at least to my ears and I'm 17 so I'm fairly sensitive to it) before I had to send them in to tighten the fit.

For what it is, I think phones are a decent source. When I'm traveling, I don't want to be carrying too many things on hand so sometimes I will just Spotify out of my phone. I think for certain times when you are not really listening in for details or resolution, phones are a great source.

That said, the V20 is an outstanding phone with a very good DAC for a phone. I have a friend who uses it as his primary souce and I have tried it before when I still had my Roxanne, and they sounded pretty good. Maybe not AK70 or DP-X1 good, but I still can't fault it as it is coming out of a phone.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,423 of 4,141

Yeah it's cool to see more phone makers are finally catching up on audio. I recently got an HTC and am pretty happy with the sound too. I still prefer a dedicated DAP, but largely for creature comforts like control buttons and music-only UI (no app switching, fewer touchscreen accidents)

The HTC 10 does have one almost fatal flaw though- the horrible volume control only offers the android default 15 stes. Luckily there are some (slight PITA) workarounds, hopefully your LG does not share this issue.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,424 of 4,141
Yeah it's cool to see more phone makers are finally catching up on audio. I recently got an HTC and am pretty happy with the sound too. I still prefer a dedicated DAP, but largely for creature comforts like control buttons and music-only UI (no app switching, fewer touchscreen accidents)

The HTC 10 does have one almost fatal flaw though- the horrible volume control only offers the android default 15 stes. Luckily there are some (slight PITA) workarounds, hopefully your LG does not share this issue.
The LG V20 has 75 volume steps, but the physical buttons change the volume in increments of 5 at each button press, but if you use the software volume slider you can really dial it in to your preference.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,425 of 4,141
I wanted to give stock launcher a try, but it got so slow. Put Nova back on. Is everyone else using non stock launcher?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back