LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,366 of 4,141

We're using "Good" for corp email. So I don't have to encrypt my whole phone, the app encrypts just the corp data. That being said, the app can detect a rooted phone and lock everything up on me. BYOD, is a double edged sword.

100% of the reason that I didn't go that route. Now I have a crappy Blackberry from work... and I'm ok with that. I kind of like the keyboard.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #1,367 of 4,141

I don't think mine's the H3, it is by B&O but I don't know the model, don't ask me how it sounds like because I can't say as I've been using my IE800 and CA Jupiter.....

Those don't look like the H3's I received.  Is yours made of plastic?  Mine are aluminum with very small vent holes drilled around the exterior circumference.  This is exactly what mine look like:

All V20 version that has B&O cetification comes with the Black B&O IEM in the box, no model number for the IEM, the H3 is a registered offer from LG in the US, and it's much better than the in the box B&O version.

I have the Black one, but either way I have my own IEM so I will never use the it, like someone said, people in headfi might not even use them.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,369 of 4,141
got my V20 today, great clean balanced sound!

and tested B&O H3 for a while, better than I expected, almost as good as apple earpods.

compare to earpods:
midrange is more flat, vocal sounds truer than earpods.
a little scoop in the highs
bass is decent, but still far away from earpods' extension (seemingly only earpods and its siblings can reach that low, at the cost of being a open earbud with absolutely no seal at all. but H3's seal is not good either)

and it's really well made, looks like a premium earbud 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,370 of 4,141
Poweramp high-res output option does show up in alpha 704, sadly it doesn't work...have to live with SRC for now...

according to dumpsys media.audio_flinger, it always works at 16bit/48k mode...
frown.gif
 and volume control is probably done in digital domain, which means the revolutionary feature of AVC in ES9218 is not being used by software 
confused.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,371 of 4,141
  got my V20 today, great clean balanced sound!

and tested B&O H3 for a while, better than I expected, almost as good as apple earpods.

compare to earpods:
midrange is more flat, vocal sounds truer than earpods.
a little scoop in the highs
bass is decent, but still far away from earpods' extension (seemingly only earpods and its siblings can reach that low, at the cost of being a open earbud with absolutely no seal at all. but H3's seal is not good either)

and it's really well made, looks like a premium earbud 
biggrin.gif

I apologize if this is obvious and please do not take any offense by it, but are you being serious in this comparison? The $150 B&O H3 IEMs are not as good as $29 (or free) Apple Earpods? 

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,372 of 4,141
I apologize if this is obvious and please do not take any offense by it, but are you being serious in this comparison? The $150 B&O H3 IEMs are not as good as $29 (or free) Apple Earpods? 

They're not as good as a pair of $40.00 Koss Portapros, that much I can tell you. To me, the H3s have attenuated bass, forward mids, and accented albeit slightly rolled off highs. I said in a previous post that I'd be upset if I paid retail for them. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

I do have a set of Comply down tips on order though to help with the seal. Perhaps I'll change my opinion a bit then as the silicon tips are awful.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,373 of 4,141
They're not as good as a pair of $40.00 Koss Portapros, that much I can tell you. To me, the H3s have attenuated bass, forward mids, and accented albeit slightly rolled off highs. I said in a previous post that I'd be upset if I paid retail for them. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

I do have a set of Comply down tips on order though to help with the seal. Perhaps I'll change my opinion a bit then as the silicon tips are awful.

I'm sure a pair of $60 LZ A2S IEMs will clean the floor with them as well. But...Earpods?!?! 
popcorn.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #1,374 of 4,141
Unfortunately I can't root my phone. My company's encrypted email application wipes all of my business data and locks my corporate account when it detects the phone has been rooted.

So all I can do is work around it, or hope they unlock the functionality.

There is a bit of a workaround for this.  

If you plug in an headphone extension cord or jack of any length BEFORE PLUGGING IN THE HEADPHONES then it will assume the connection is not to headphones but rather a line input on an audio device.  That will bump up the output a considerable amount.  Without the extension I listen at a level of about 80-90, with the extension around 50.  Feel like there is more energy in the low end too.  That said, would rather have a software solution but this works for now : )  

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,375 of 4,141
  There is a bit of a workaround for this.  

If you plug in an headphone extension cord or jack of any length BEFORE PLUGGING IN THE HEADPHONES then it will assume the connection is not to headphones but rather a line input on an audio device.  That will bump up the output a considerable amount.  Without the extension I listen at a level of about 80-90, with the extension around 50.  Feel like there is more energy in the low end too.  That said, would rather have a software solution but this works for now : )  

Yup, I've been using a headphone extender with another pair of high impedance headphones and then detaching and reattaching my other headphones to get the high imp mode. It's just a pain to have to do that when it could be a simple software switch.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,376 of 4,141

Maybe these need to break in? 

I find it a little odd that $150 earphones sound worse than $40 ones.

https://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayh3?gclid=Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1btDtsNZy_QyyPyy7Cnq4LdlDFCerxYZfZERPSFzO1okaAkaC8P8HAQ

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #1,377 of 4,141

https://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayh3?gclid=Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1btDtsNZy_QyyPyy7Cnq4LdlDFCerxYZfZERPSFzO1okaAkaC8P8HAQ

Truth be told, I don't see much use in breaking headphones in. If they sound terrible right out of the box, chances are they'll still sound like crap hours or days later.

I do have to admit that for IEMs, these do have a fairly wide soundstage, but that's probably due to all the little holes they drill into the body. They're not completely sealed and you can tell by putting a finger over them while they're in your ear and music is playing.

Sonically, I still stand by my original observation. I've been using them quite frequently as the weather gets colder and I'm forced to wear some head cover. When it's warm or not raining, I use a pair of Sony MDR1As as my walkabout cans. But these on the other hand just don't have the same SQ as a cheapo pair of 60 ohm Koss Portapros. That said, they're much better than a pair of Apple Earpods or whatever they're called. Those are just garbage.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,379 of 4,141

yes i'm serious, earpods is a good earbud regardless of any price range (as far as earbuds go, IEMs and cans don't count, and i don't consider H3 an IEM). and some earbuds simply have huge markup.

i'm not saying H3 is worse than earpods, its mid range is better than earpods imho, just fall short of deep bass, but who doesn't? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,380 of 4,141

Porta pros are known to sound well above their price. Price doesn't always mean better either. One if my favorite IEMS cost me $225 IIRC, and it is number 3 on my list, out performing several of my much pricier iems. More the exception than the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back