LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,576 of 4,141
Just got my V20 last week after my Note 4 bit the dust.

Im really enjoying the phone and the sound quality is great based off my limited testing (some tidal streaming). I'll have to give it a whirl with the higher res tracks on the stock player but when comparing the V20 to my X7 and Mojo stack the phone seemed brighter sounding overall and lacking the finer resolution that my portable setup can bring out. With that being said, it sounds better than any other phone I've owned by a mile and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,578 of 4,141
  Just got my V20 last week after my Note 4 bit the dust.

Im really enjoying the phone and the sound quality is great based off my limited testing (some tidal streaming). I'll have to give it a whirl with the higher res tracks on the stock player but when comparing the V20 to my X7 and Mojo stack the phone seemed brighter sounding overall and lacking the finer resolution that my portable setup can bring out. With that being said, it sounds better than any other phone I've owned by a mile and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Did you  go into Tidal settings to make sure your streaming hifi and don't have the adaptive streaming?

Also, I would recommend that you download vs streaming.  I've noticed a big quality difference.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,579 of 4,141
  Maybe it was an attempted root to install V4A.

Playa hater, you're like I can't root my device so I hope no one else can!! 
devil_face.gif
... lol

Just joking 

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,580 of 4,141
Playa hater, you're like I can't root my device so I hope no one else can!! :devil_face: ... lol

Just joking 

Maybe... Whatever. I'd love to root so i can dump the Verizon apps that i don't want.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,581 of 4,141
Yeah, the bootloop due to overheating is a screwing great reason to use a standard 1Amp/5Watt charger, instead of quick charger.  All the QC stuff makes these phones hot.  Even the stock QC charger that came with my V20 gets it way warmer than I want, not to mention that the device condom I use makes heat dissipation far slower.

You wanna dodge bootloop you probably need to charge with a slower charger with less Amps with no phone condom and use naked as much as possible with a lower Amp charge to minimize heat buildup.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,582 of 4,141
I have been using a quick charger with my V10 since day 1 and it still works great although my gf's G4 died of boot loop a few days ago. but it was randomly turning off for weeks before that.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,583 of 4,141
I think quick charge and the like is sure useful, but generally the slower the charge, the better for the life of battery cells. Ive had no signs of heat whatsoever so far, even the few times ive used QC, but am now using a wireless inductive charging...slower, but no plugging up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M11UT3V/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481850613&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Still hoping for a dedicated wireless charging back for the v20 to retain the usb-c jack.

But then again, im a bit sensitive about the talk of heat and batteries, as i went through two Note7's before my move to the LG! :sweat_smile:

On another note, if anyone is interested, the Bluwave GET is almost funded on Indiegogo, and has just received the certification for the 24bit codec using the new CSR(Qualcomm) chip for apt-x HD Bluetooth transmission. As the v20 is one of the few smartphones to also have apt-x hd, should make for good combo.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,584 of 4,141
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 16, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,586 of 4,141
Probably PowerAmp using the "SoX" resampler instead of the default "SW" Resampler that way, even though your 16/44.1 audio will be re-sampled to 16/48, you get the best available resampler solution (or at least a really, really good one).

For hires, PowerAmp will not be a good pick because it will down-sample your audio, but for non-hires material it looks like it is as good as anything else, since all player apps will resample lossless 16/44.1 to 16/48 no matter what.

I'm a paid user of Poweramp. Seems only v3 has the Sox. Just battling to get v3 installed. Presumably must uninstall v2. Thanks

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,587 of 4,141
  Did you  go into Tidal settings to make sure your streaming hifi and don't have the adaptive streaming?

Also, I would recommend that you download vs streaming.  I've noticed a big quality difference.

I usually download (at home via wifi) over streaming to save data

However, since getting this phone I forgot to change the download quality from normal to hifi....

I guess I just double blind tested myself and proved FLAC is better SQ?

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,589 of 4,141

to my X7 and Mojo stack the phone seemed brighter sounding overall and lacking the finer resolution that my portable setup can bring out.

After listening to flac on v20 do you still feel that it lacks the finer resolution of the x7 and mojo?
Also, don't forget to listen to flac with the built in music player.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,590 of 4,141
So has anybody found a way around the Android API and it's down sampling of all the music before it gets to the DAC? Seems to me that LG would have thought of this before going through all the ground le of putting in such a quality DAC and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back