LG V20 Sound Quality
Dec 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,606 of 4,141
more numbers 
very_evil_smiley.gif

this time i want to learn about the differences between gain modes (other than gain factor, which is already measured in P95), and to determine what are the best gain modes for various loads.
each load is tested in all three gain modes, and all tests are voltage matched.

10 ohm load:

100 ohm load:

unloaded:

low impedance load works best in low impedance mode.
high impedance load works best in high impedance mode.
unloaded works best in line out mode.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

LG engineers do know what they are doing.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,607 of 4,141
Can anyone compare this precious v20 with Axon 7 ?

I have searched this thread and only see comment that only said that this one is good, that one is better. No one describe how good or how bad is it.

Another question, I see that Axon 7 have super mode which should made 3rd party apps to use potential of AKM DAC chip. Do v20 have this kind of feature ? Since I have read downsampling discussion on this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,608 of 4,141
Can anyone compare this precious v20 with Axon 7 ?

I have searched this thread and only see comment that only said that this one is good, that one is better. No one describe how good or how bad is it.

Another question, I see that Axon 7 have super mode which should made 3rd party apps to use potential of AKM DAC chip. Do v20 have this kind of feature ? Since I have read downsampling discussion on this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Axon doesn't compete with v20 at all. First thing i noticed with axon 7 is its bottom heavy bass and lacks treble extension. V10 is better than axon 7 do it cant compete with v20 at all. I tested the axon 7 using my audio technica e70 which is a flat iem used for musicians and mixing.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,612 of 4,141
Isn't v4a is just EQ things that do nothing about by passing android sound to ES DAC sound ? I have use v4a in other phone and I thunk it's an eq
frown.gif

I don't get into alot of the technical mumbo jumbo.  I believe my God Given ears will outperform any graph or software testing tool when it comes to evaluating sound quality.  That being said, to my ears v20 sounds 10 times better with v4a (the way i tuned the sound) than without it.

Edit:

I shouldn't have said mumbo jumbo.  What I should've said is that I trust my ears more than technical tools.  So if a "tool" says something sounds bad or better, but my ears says something else I trust my ears.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,614 of 4,141
I don't get into alot of the technical mumbo jumbo.  I believe my God Given ears will outperform any graph or software testing tool when it comes to evaluating sound quality.  That being said, to my ears v20 sounds 10 times better with v4a (the way i tuned the sound) than without it.

Oh because technical "mumbo-jumbo" will discard every subjective claims. And it's hard to deny. So people call technical measurements "mumbo-jumbo" as they can't deny them.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,615 of 4,141

But you don't have perfect ears... No one does. We have to trust the machines.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,616 of 4,141
I am just curious if we have any v20 owners whose phones don't like the cold. My v10 is perfect as always but my gf who bought her v20 new a few days ago, has shut off twice and needed the battery pulled to start up again after being outside in sub 30F weather (thats 0C for you non Americans!)

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,617 of 4,141
Oh because technical "mumbo-jumbo" will discard every subjective claims. And it's hard to deny. So people call technical measurements "mumbo-jumbo" as they can't deny them.

I shouldn't have said mumbo jumbo.  What I should've said is that I trust my ears more than technical tools.  So if a "tool" says something sounds bad or better, but my ears says something else I trust my ears.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,618 of 4,141
But you don't have perfect ears... No one does. We have to trust the machines.

That's under the assumption that the machines are perfect, but they're not.  My ears are perfect to me...

Also, people put too much trust in machines.  The human mind, brain and ears is way too diverse and complex for any machine to truly and accurately measure.  Way too many combinations and permutions etc.....  

That's the reason why debating sound is worse than debating religion.  Because what one person or one machine interprets to sound one way, another person's sound may be completely different.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,619 of 4,141
The only IMPORTANT thing here, is that you like the sound of your device that you paid for. If you want to get into the nuances of the specs of how well (or bad) the DAC chip is working, that is on you. If you want to just enjoy it and listen to your music, then more power to you. This thread is getting silly, like a bunch of old ladies/men bickering in a corner for what amounts to nothing at the end of the day. You are going to like it or not, regardless of what anyone else tells you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back