LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Feb 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,131 of 3,525

The module is actually a little larger. Check out the picture here:

http://news.yahoo.com/g5-lgs-best-ever-phone-102433217.html

Not a huge difference, but it will require different cases for the phone with vs without the module

Doubt we will see many cases for the G5 because of this. Even if they make multiple cases, you'll need to remove and swap both the cases and modules together.

I've been following this thread, and the LG G5 thread for a bit now.  But I'm interested in this.  I assume you download PowerAmp Alpha from the powerampapp.com website.  Does Alpha have a way to turn on the DAC and amp of the V10, without the need for hacks or backwards ways of turning it on?  Because I bought PowerAmp a long time ago, as I love the app, and Alpha would be just an upgrade for me, and if it turns on the ESS DAC/Amp without hacks, and it's already rootable, I might just turn my attention to this phone, as there wouldn't be a need to buy anything more to get a good sounding, louder than normal phone.

Just use this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix

No need to root or hack anything. Dac turns on automatically when headphones are plugged into the phone. Just have to open the app and turn it on; you could even leave it on for good but may eat more battery.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,132 of 3,525
I think there will be plenty of cases for the G5. Probably less for it with the module than without, but still a decent number. It's a flagship phone from one of the biggest smartphone companies in the world. It would be annoying to have to buy multiple cases if you're always swapping modules out, though I imagine many people buying it here might just keep the hifi module on all the time. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,133 of 3,525

Doubt we will see many cases for the G5 because of this. Even if they make multiple cases, you'll need to remove and swap both the cases and modules together.

Just use this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix

No need to root or hack anything. Dac turns on automatically when headphones are plugged into the phone. Just have to open the app and turn it on; you could even leave it on for good but may eat more battery.

Well, Id still root for V4A.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,135 of 3,525
I hate that they are taking on the samsung/apple aesthetic with the G5.  I always appreciated that LG stood out from the crowd, plastic or not.

Here's hoping the V10 will stay true.  

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #2,136 of 3,525
I am glad to see that with LG has stuck with continuing to provide a viable option for audiophiles using smartphones as a portable source with the new G5 "friend" from B&O but I have"no ragrets" on investing in the V10. I have just fixed my RHA MA750's for the thrid time that have a straight style 3.5mm plug and am looking to upgrade to the Etymotic ER•4S because it has a 90º plug, does not have an inline mic/remote, and can take advantage of the high impedance mode; but am wondering if anyone has paired the V10 with these in-ears.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #2,138 of 3,525
So guys, I found the V10 on expansys.ca for $950CAD including the 18 month warranty.  If this phone works out, it's the one I'd be sticking with for a while.  I'm reading the dual-sim version can't be rooted yet, so I'm wondering, how is the bass response on the standard music app?  Or say with PowerAmp Alpha?  I crave my bass, that's why I was going to root, for V4A.  But, if the bass isn't up to snuff, I'll wait for the G5, and hope I can get a bundle with the HiFi "friend" model.  I'll use the app in the app store for turning the DAC/Amp on and off, so I'll get the benefit of the DAC all the time.  

Can anyone comment on the bass response with either of those apps?

*edit*  Just got a reply on xda-developers, and it seems that the LG V10 H961N variant that I can purchase has root.  If I can get a link, I'm purchasing today.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,139 of 3,525
Well, I've joined the family.  Purchased an H961N dual-sim variant from Expansys.  I have the program for root already downloaded, and will download the app to turn the DAC/Amp on and off as soon as I get it.  Ships today, and I should have it before the end of the week.  STOKED!!

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2,143 of 3,525
Thanks.  I really should say that my wife bought it for me, as an early anniversary gift.  Heck of a gal.  

I'll give PowerAmp Alpha a go first, to see what I think, then, if it's not enough, root and V4A.

Poweramp alpha has ways better DSP and control over the audio quality than viper4a. Congratulation, and you have an excellent wife :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back