LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Feb 19, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,118 of 3,525
This cable enabled aux mode for me. Gain was noticeable despite low impedance HP. The remote still worked as well, didn't try the Mic yet.

FosPower (4 Inch) 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Auxiliary 4-Conductor TRRS Stereo Audio Extension Cable [24K Gold Plated Connectors] for Apple, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Nokia, LG, Sony & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01552UGSS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fgTXwbB7S8A6C

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,119 of 3,525
A funny thing that I noticed. I usually listen using my AKG 7XX (no impedance hack needed) or my Aurisonics ASG 2.5 (voicemail hack used) but I also own a pair of Bose QC20s which are the new generation ones with the blue line on the cable and the 3-button remote even for Android. These headphones trigger aux mode without any hack.

I think it's because the cable from the jack to the battery unit is being detected as a dumb adapter because more processing is done by the unit. The remote still works 100% so it's the only headphone with inline mic and buttons that trigger a higher mode on the V10 that I know of.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2,120 of 3,525
A funny thing that I noticed. I usually listen using my AKG 7XX (no impedance hack needed) or my Aurisonics ASG 2.5 (voicemail hack used) but I also own a pair of Bose QC20s which are the new generation ones with the blue line on the cable and the 3-button remote even for Android. These headphones trigger aux mode without any hack.

I think it's because the cable from the jack to the battery unit is being detected as a dumb adapter because more processing is done by the unit. The remote still works 100% so it's the only headphone with inline mic and buttons that trigger a higher mode on the V10 that I know of.

Remember that the QC20 in effect is an amp setup, it's got its own amp driving the earphones, and (or as a result) IIRC has pretty high impedance. Some part of that is probably causing the V10 to trigger aux mode.

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,121 of 3,525
  I am currently using IE80 with the V10, as well as Beyerdynamic T90 and Senn Momentum wireless (in wired mode). I think it goes pretty loud with all of them. With IE80 I usually listen between volume level 50 and 60. I'm using Poweramp Alpha with DAC Fix.

Thanks for that, I'm finding that around 50-55 is good for IE80 with Poweramp Alpha (and not in AUX mode)

I just picked up the Momentum 2's (Wireless) Do you make any adjustments in EQ for these in Poweramp? I guess I'm used to the bass of the IE80 because I'm feeling the need to use the Bass EQ preset right now. This is al using the wired connection.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,125 of 3,525
Will be getting the g5 soon :)

Good to see more innovation from LG but not sure I like the add-on module idea. You'll have to  pay extra for the B&O dac compared to the ESS already built-in to the V10. Battery is even smaller and no way to add wireless charging.

Also may be difficult to find a case that fits the G5 with the dac module (since it makes the phone longer).

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,126 of 3,525

Good to see more innovation from LG but not sure I like the add-on module idea. You'll have to  pay extra for the B&O dac compared to the ESS already built-in to the V10. Battery is even smaller and no way to add wireless charging.

Also may be difficult to find a case that fits the G5 with the dac module (since it makes the phone longer).

I'm also concerned about how much the overall price of the phone + module is going be. Especially since they've gone and slapped the B&O name on it. The module has an ESS DAC and amp similar to the V10 (a newer one though).

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #2,129 of 3,525
The module is thr same size as the bottom area with the lg logo

The module is actually a little larger. Check out the picture here:

http://news.yahoo.com/g5-lgs-best-ever-phone-102433217.html

Not a huge difference, but it will require different cases for the phone with vs without the module

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #2,130 of 3,525

Thanks for that, I'm finding that around 50-55 is good for IE80 with Poweramp Alpha (and not in AUX mode)

I just picked up the Momentum 2's (Wireless) Do you make any adjustments in EQ for these in Poweramp? I guess I'm used to the bass of the IE80 because I'm feeling the need to use the Bass EQ preset right now. This is al using the wired connection.

I've been following this thread, and the LG G5 thread for a bit now.  But I'm interested in this.  I assume you download PowerAmp Alpha from the powerampapp.com website.  Does Alpha have a way to turn on the DAC and amp of the V10, without the need for hacks or backwards ways of turning it on?  Because I bought PowerAmp a long time ago, as I love the app, and Alpha would be just an upgrade for me, and if it turns on the ESS DAC/Amp without hacks, and it's already rootable, I might just turn my attention to this phone, as there wouldn't be a need to buy anything more to get a good sounding, louder than normal phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back