LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG
Oct 14, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #181 of 3,525
We don't have a V10 as it's not on sale yet, at least not here. You have one then? How does it sound?

You're saying that the 32 bit DAC only works with the default music player? That would be terrible as I mostly use streaming services.

I would think it does considering this marketing information:

"Get hi-fi sound
from lo-fi music.

Not every song you love sounds like it was recorded in a studio, but the LG V10 will make it sound amazing. The phone improves streaming music and old MP3s to a higher quality when you listen with wired headphones."

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #182 of 3,525
I would think it does considering this marketing information:

"Get hi-fi sound
from lo-fi music.

Not every song you love sounds like it was recorded in a studio, but the LG V10 will make it sound amazing. The phone improves streaming music and old MP3s to a higher quality when you listen with wired headphones."

That's good to know. I was worried for a moment.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #183 of 3,525
The Quadbeat series has been stellar from the beginning. I have the very impressive Quadbeat 2 and will pick up the QB3 if possible.

Dedicated thread here
tomscy2000's review here

+1, I've got the first two QB's and they're both great sounding for a bundled IEM.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #184 of 3,525
The QB 1SE, 2 & 3 are all decent bundled IEMs. Even for the asking price of a standalone IEM, it compares very well with IEMs costing twice the price. The LG QBs IEMs are truly understated and they deserve more recognition.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #185 of 3,525
He is wrong. Actually there is plenty of topic about the bit and sample rates.....it is more like quality audio vs bad quality. Bit and samples are more of marketing features

And so this video did not stated anything at all in the audio quality. Just another simple minded.....reviewer to bash...oh human ears can only hear this...or that.....and I hate it

I don't agree entirely what he is saying but i think he's not that wrong.......For example when i see Sony which sell the MDR Z7 saying it goes till 100 khz it's ridiculous !! And it has become a very frequent fact. Brands just make advertisement about different stuffs that are useless !!! If you take a good quality recording it will be pretty hard to make the difference between even a mp3 320 kbits and a FLAC. Why am i saying "good quality recording" ? Because sometimes some songs are advertised as 320 kbps but are poor quality. 

So the guy is not really wrong. IMO the most important on the V10 in term of sound quality will be to have a neutral DAC with extra low distortions and the ESS amp permitting to drive even high impedance headphone. Cause even if it could handle 512 bits audio if it can't drive the headphone well it will be hard to enjoy anything

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #186 of 3,525
My guess is that it could(!) share a similar sound sig with the Dragonfly DAC, as they both use ESS tech and the Dragonfly is known for his "clear" sound. So it could sound a bit bright to create the illusion of clarity, so the consumer will hear the diffference between the SoC and standalone DAC...

Just one possibility... The ESS stuff is known for its very detailed sound sig... So I guess nothing will be different with the V10....

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #187 of 3,525
  I don't agree entirely what he is saying but i think he's not that wrong.......For example when i see Sony which sell the MDR Z7 saying it goes till 100 khz it's ridiculous !! And it has become a very frequent fact. Brands just make advertisement about different stuffs that are useless !!! If you take a good quality recording it will be pretty hard to make the difference between even a mp3 320 kbits and a FLAC. Why am i saying "good quality recording" ? Because sometimes some songs are advertised as 320 kbps but are poor quality. 

So the guy is not really wrong. IMO the most important on the V10 in term of sound quality will be to have a neutral DAC with extra low distortions and the ESS amp permitting to drive even high impedance headphone. Cause even if it could handle 512 bits audio if it can't drive the headphone well it will be hard to enjoy anything

My personal opinion is that if you can't hear the difference between MP3 and wave/HiDef, why waste your money? I'll keep spending. My reference is not USB DACs and DAPs/Phones and I personally appreciate the some DAPs are getting closer to dedicated home kit. Fot instance, I really like a Hugo but don't think USB does it any justice and what I use for myself is significantly better than that. Unless you've personally tried the best streaming or professional recorders like the top Nagras, you don't have the personal experience to make these proclamations beyond hearsay and technobabble. Ears are very sensitive to time differential ant it's well beyond the capabilities of even redbook (CD quality). http://chordelectronics.co.uk/files/Hugo-DAC-Technical-Master-Class.pptx 
Last I'll say about it here but but I've been saying better harmonics structure and better timing from a 'proper' HiDef setup by audition for years without finding this paper.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #188 of 3,525
Any more news on release dates on US carriers yet?

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #189 of 3,525
  My personal opinion is that if you can't hear the difference between MP3 and wave/HiDef, why waste your money? I'll keep spending. My reference is not USB DACs and DAPs/Phones and I personally appreciate the some DAPs are getting closer to dedicated home kit. Fot instance, I really like a Hugo but don't think USB does it any justice and what I use for myself is significantly better than that. Unless you've personally tried the best streaming or professional recorders like the top Nagras, you don't have the personal experience to make these proclamations beyond hearsay and technobabble. Ears are very sensitive to time differential ant it's well beyond the capabilities of even redbook (CD quality). http://chordelectronics.co.uk/files/Hugo-DAC-Technical-Master-Class.pptx 
Last I'll say about it here but but I've been saying better harmonics structure and better timing from a 'proper' HiDef setup by audition for years without finding this paper.

It is very good you took my post in that way. Cause what you're saying is in the idea of what i think. IMO you can't advertise a phone with ESS DACs, amps, DSD high quality handling etc......if the other components don't follow it is useless. And dude brands are good at advertisement. At outlining different specs even when on a practical point of view it can't be felt. Maybe you are part of the aliens that can hear 100 khz sound. IMO advertising headphones that can reach 100 khz will still be marketing much more than anything else. This reminds me the discussions between HDMI cables............depending of the quality of the source (TV for example) and destination (bluray player) and the material used (the bluray quality, quality of cameras used to record the movie etc....) it will again be pretty hard to see a visual difference between a 10 bucks cable and a 100 bucks one (i'm talking about simple HDMI cable and not those with external upscaling technology).

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #190 of 3,525
Don't be so sure about the Samsung updates. I had Note and Note 3. Both phones started failing in multiple ways after their second upgrade. I start feeling they are doing it on purpose to make you buy the latest model. I am never getting another Samsung!

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #191 of 3,525
Don't be so sure about the Samsung updates. I had Note and Note 3. Both phones started failing in multiple ways after their second upgrade. I start feeling they are doing it on purpose to make you buy the latest model. I am never getting another Samsung!

Me neither. In fact, I hate the Samsung UI, and the bloat ware. I dislike how Samsung is trying to chase the big Apple, while they do nothing new for their own good. After all, didn't they defeat Sony by following and take over ? I think they did in consumer electrics. They thought they could do so against the big Apple :D

Well, Samsung, good luck

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #192 of 3,525

That is true.  While they did give the Note 3 Lollipop, that is the last update.  The Note 3 is not getting Marshmallow which means they are now only supporting the Note series ONE year back! So you need at least the October '14s Note 4 for anymore updates!!! 

And guess which company is getting the first Marshmallow update?  LG!

SEOUL, Oct. 15, 2015 ― Owners of LG Electronics' (LG) G4 smartphone will be the first in the world to receive the Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS. 

By working closely with Google, LG has been able to bring Android 6.0 to the G4 ahead of any of our competitors," said Chris Yie, vice president and head of marketing communications for LG Mobile Communications Company. "While speed alone isn't an indicator of great service, it does go a long way toward giving consumers the confidence that LG is committed to its existing customers first."

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #193 of 3,525
That is true.  While they did give the Note 3 Lollipop, that is the last update.  The Note 3 is not getting Marshmallow which means they are now only supporting the Note series ONE year back! So you need at least the October '14s Note 4 for anymore updates!!! 

And guess which company is getting the first Marshmallow update?  LG!

[COLOR=444444]SEOUL, Oct. 15, 2015 ― Owners of LG Electronics' (LG) G4 smartphone will be the first in the world to receive the Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]By working closely with Google, LG has been able to bring Android 6.0 to the G4 ahead of any of our competitors," said Chris Yie, vice president and head of marketing communications for LG Mobile Communications Company. "While speed alone isn't an indicator of great service, it does go a long way toward giving consumers the confidence that LG is committed to its existing customers first."[/COLOR]

Cool. What about lg phones from two years ago?? Is LG cool enough to upgrade those?? Just curious... As my htc one max from two years ago ain't gettin no further upgrades. I thought that's the standard practice? But perhaps LG is way above standard when it comes to software support??

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #195 of 3,525
Cool. What about lg phones from two years ago?? Is LG cool enough to upgrade those?? Just curious... As my htc one max from two years ago ain't gettin no further upgrades. I thought that's the standard practice? But perhaps LG is way above standard when it comes to software support??

G2 was same as Note 3.  They both got Lollipop but not Marshmallow.  So it looks like all of these non-nexus Android manufacturers have the same update schedule of 2 year expirations.  Meanwhile 2014 models G3 and Note 4 are still getting updates.  2013 G2 and Note 3 are finito.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back