LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #301 of 633
Luis told me that my pair was shipped out before he got sick and had to deal with cuts. Poor guy is working night and day to try and get these headphones out to us. 

The wait is definitely worth it IMO. 

AFAIK, the Suji finish is not out yet. Luis is probably working really hard to get the initial batch out to their owners.

I will try to give updates as I continue to listen to these this week. I'm trying really hard not to fall for the new toy syndrome right now. 

I'm currently driving them from an O2, Vali, and Anedio D2. It seems to work fine out of portable devices, but they do scale extremely well out of these dedicated amplifiers. 

The one thing I really like about the aforementioned amplifiers is that they are all really clean sounding. I'm a big fan of Luis's house sound signature, and find that it suits my tastes perfectly.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #302 of 633
I have had a set of these on my head most of the week. I have driven them so far with my Woo Audio WA7, ModWright LS-100 playing vinyl from my VPI Traveler,  and the Cavalli Liquid Gold with various tubes.  The are a very, very good headphone. Muppetface was right on the mark on the sonic signature in her initial impressions, though I find myself to always be in the mood for these.  

A full review of these headphones will be coming from a large group of us over at audio360.org but I for one will be buying a set and also possibly a Paradox for audio editing and recording.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #303 of 633
These are phenomenal. Tried with my x-sabre > Mjolnir at work and the results are phenomenal. Having owned both the TH-900 and LCD-3, I'd take these hands down. They skew towards neutral but are totally fun. They also sound incredibly open for a closed can.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #304 of 633
Nice!
Can't wait!

How do you think they perform in the bass department (sub-bass presence/mid-bass impact)?

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #305 of 633
Using everyone's favorite Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over, there's great bass slam without it getting messy on the bottom end.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #306 of 633
Thanks.

Very soon I'll get to hear the LCD-XCs as part of a tour so I can't wait to take some notes and compare to my Alpha Dogs. I'll try to jolt down impressions so that when the Enigma's arrive, I'll have something to go on to on my compare. Hopefully the Enigma's will kick butt... (and also, it will give me an excuse to thin the herd! :p)

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #307 of 633

Just received Eniga #1 from Greed about 2 hours ago... 

I'm loving how these sound so far. Like everyone says, these have a fairly neutral presentation with just a touch of extra bass. I've got lots of amps/dacs on me to try: Gungnir, nfb-10es2, hpa-2, vali, uha-6s, dx90, and dx50.

The finish on the Suji is beautiful, and they are fairly comfortable but do have a bit of clamp. I find that they isolate well, but they do leak a little bit of noise when it's quiet in the room.

Edit: Post #1000!

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #308 of 633
I'm loving how these sound so far. Like everyone says, these have a fairly neutral presentation with just a touch of extra bass. I've got lots of amps/dacs on me to try: Gungnir, nfb-10es2, hpa-2, vali, uha-6s, dx90, and dx50.

Would love to hear your opinion on how the enigma sounds with the nfb-10es2 Dac/Amp combo :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #309 of 633
Damn, you were able to get LFF's custom earpads. While there is nothing wrong with the Alpha Pads, I find that the excess clamping force along with the harder Alpha Pads does have a slight disadvantage in comfort versus the Paradox Slants. 

Do you have any problems with the headband adjustment slider returning to its original position? Mine has this slight issue and I have to constantly readjust after taking them off. 

For the time being, I'm clamping the headband with a violin mute. Hopefully it gets better with time.

Quote:

Just received Eniga #1 from Greed about 2 hours ago... 

The finish on the Suji is beautiful, and they are fairly comfortable but do have a bit of clamp. I find that they isolate well, but they do leak a little bit of noise when it's quiet in the room.

Edit: Post #1000!

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #311 of 633
  Yeah, my sliders do return to the top sometimes too. I'll need to find something to keep it in place. 

I've read this quite a few times.
I have had this problem with the Koss PortaPro's and it annoyed me quite a bit. Specially when hair got stuck on it.

@LFF,
If I may suggest, I think it'd be nice to include something to hold the sliders in place. Something that matches the design, of course. Or maybe change the design a little bit to make them stay put?

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #312 of 633
Got my Enigma today and I am loving it. I'm also experiencing the slider issue (only on the right side). It doesn't bother me though since I can slide it into place when I put them on.

Great work, Luis! I'm really surprised by how spacious these are for having such great isolation.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #313 of 633
Apr 22, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #314 of 633

I've read this quite a few times.
I have had this problem with the Koss PortaPro's and it annoyed me quite a bit. Specially when hair got stuck on it.

@LFF,
If I may suggest, I think it'd be nice to include something to hold the sliders in place. Something that matches the design, of course. Or maybe change the design a little bit to make them stay put?

The problem seems to be with the sliders not holding their position after they are taken off. I never found this to be a problem personally since I almost always re-adjust my headphone before, during, and after use - ever since day 1 of this hobby. That said, I know a few of you guys don't like it. I aim to please so I'm working on a few things that might solve that problem for you all. 

If and when I find a good solution, I'll let you know.

As for the finishes...the Suji looks to be a mainstay. Black is a popular color so it will remain in the line up along with the Honey and Wine. It just takes a little longer to produce and I do lose some cups in the process. The only finishes that are limited are the new ones, the Hemo, Solemn Blue and Deadwood all take a good while to get right and thus I won't be offering them too often. 

Huh? He got the first ones and sold them?

Yup. 

He actually got 3 different models I make.  I think he preferred the sound signature of the others over the Enigma. As I have said many times before, I know my headphones aren't for everyone which I why I offer different models and even those three models might not fit the bill for someone. The Paradox, Slant, the OOP Code-X and the Enigma all sound different.Same with ice cream....some people like vanilla, some like strawberry, some love chocolate and some want pistachio.  
normal_smile .gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #315 of 633
I'm interested to hear what amps you guys find to work best with the Enigmas. I agree with MF that the vali and uha-6s work very well for them but unfortunately I don't have any high-end amps. I'm tempted to pick up the mjolnir on the FS here but I'm not sure if it's really worth the upg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back