Lets Talk Metal
Sep 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #11,701 of 29,653
  Okay I must ask, as someone interested in writing metal in the future. Does anyone know of any metal bands that use an upright(double, contra) bass bowed for the actual bass line? I'm really curious as to how this could sound in metal.  In my mind it sounds pretty great haha.

Aww!! there is a kid with the sticks thingy!!!.. I am jealous of these kids                                                                  

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #11,702 of 29,653
  Something like this?

I love these weird rednecks ♥

Maybe... but i wish the mix didn't have the same problem as every other metal album ever with bass well covered by guitars, it came out everyonce in a while but that doesn't let me hear how it actually sounds with the riffs.
Any others?

Aww!! there is a kid with the sticks thingy!!!.. I am jealous of these kids                                                                

... I do not understand this, haha. I have never heard "sticks thingy" before.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #11,703 of 29,653

Maybe... but i wish the mix didn't have the same problem as every other metal album ever with bass well covered by guitars, it came out everyonce in a while but that doesn't let me hear how it actually sounds with the riffs.
Any others?

I don't know what the instrument is called, but there is a small boy with spectacles who is beating two wooden sticks(?)

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #11,705 of 29,653
Nice!
And slightly weird!

http://artificialbrain.bandcamp.com/album/butchering-cosmic-giants

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #11,706 of 29,653

JEsus Camels first 2 albums are so silkky smooth amazing

I used to buy all the used prog records back in the mid 1990s for 10 cents a piece. It seemed both records and progressive music were at an all time low popularity level in 1995. Camel records were surprisingly everywhere, along with more used Yes records than you could carry. Everyone was trading in their scratchy records for CDs.
cool.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #11,707 of 29,653

I used to buy all the used prog records back in the mid 1990s for 10 cents a piece. It seemed both records and progressive music were at an all time low popularity level in 1995. Camel records were surprisingly everywhere, along with more used Yes records than you could carry. Everyone was trading in their scratchy records for CDs.
cool.gif

I grew up listening to stuff like this, as my dad was a big prog fan.  He has every Camel album on vinyl, and the first is one of my favorites prog releases of all time...I'm jealous of these 'widely available LPs' you speak of! 
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #11,708 of 29,653
  Okay I must ask, as someone interested in writing metal in the future. Does anyone know of any metal bands that use an upright(double, contra) bass bowed for the actual bass line? I'm really curious as to how this could sound in metal.  In my mind it sounds pretty great haha.

The only one that comes to mind is Diablo Swing Orchestra.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #11,709 of 29,653
Any others?

http://youtu.be/ah4O0IvDE1w

Black rose phantoms
It looks effing awesome but hard to hear...I think a bow would make a sweet metal noise

I'm home for a couple days so I have Internet and my good cans, re-listening to some prog junk since everyone on it again
camel is pretty good. I could care less about most of it though, king crimson, rush they're fine just. It my thing. Floyd isn't really prog...they are Floyd you gotta love em! Hitting tribulation right now, like it so far

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #11,710 of 29,653
I grew up listening to stuff like this, as my dad was a big prog fan.  He has every Camel album on vinyl, and the first is one of my favorites prog releases of all time...I'm jealous of these 'widely available LPs' you speak of! :p

Yes, we'll those were the days. Record stores would give people money to buy CDs by trading in their old records. Folks were perfectly happy in 95 to trade 30 or 40 albums for a couple CDs. You could really find a bunch of prog. I still wonder if it ever really made a comeback?

Still though I think that there is a ton of prog out there on vinyl. The 70s was the time when everyone purchased ELP Yes, Hawkwind and Pink Floyd records.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #11,711 of 29,653
Check out this nice instrumental atmospheric black metal one-man thingamabob!

https://krimh.bandcamp.com/

Bandcamp sure is a place of never ending surprises :)

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #11,713 of 29,653
Guys I rarely cross post here anymore (I don't want to come off as a SPAM).

But my rant Cormorant Needs You means YOU!

If you are fan of Comorant, tell them to bring back dynamics on their third release since its a fan sponsored project! :)

Big thanks go to Soup's for the Twitter reference (article updated, gratitude written).

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #11,714 of 29,653
just picked up the new gorguts, thanks for the awesome review yet again Metal-fi

this album rocks, and it sounds awesome, the dynamics really stand out against say the immolation record (which i also love).   the usual gorguts weirdness combined with an underlying method to the madness.  love it.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #11,715 of 29,653
  just picked up the new gorguts, thanks for the awesome review yet again Metal-fi

this album rocks, and it sounds awesome, the dynamics really stand out against say the immolation record (which i also love).   the usual gorguts weirdness combined with an underlying method to the madness.  love it.

It's awesome, right? :)

The new Dysmorphic album is a loooot of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back