Lets Talk Metal
Oct 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #11,734 of 29,666
Does anyone know of any "metal band plus orchestra" albums other than Metallica - S&M and Dream Theater - Score?  It's a strange combination but I'm really liking these at the moment...

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #11,735 of 29,666
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #11,736 of 29,666
Does anyone know of any "metal band plus orchestra" albums other than Metallica - S&M and Dream Theater - Score?  It's a strange combination but I'm really liking these at the moment...

Maybe look at what Therion put out in 2004. I always liked those better than S&M or Dream Theater.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #11,737 of 29,666
+1 for Redcarmoose's recommendation Therion Lemuira/Sirius B for symphonic metal. If I had to pick one album (that's a double disc) I'd go with that. If you like Therion's sound they have a number of very good releases. I would also recommend Secret of the Runes among others.

I'd also throw in Tristania's Beyond the Veil and World of Glass and even Illumination. But this is goth metal. Veil and Glass has some DM  vocals-beauty and the beast styyle. . Ashes is also very good w/ slighly BM vocals. Illumination is basically a cleanly sung-beautiful famale vocals goth/symph metal album but more rock.

And, you might consider Nighwish-Oceanborn, Once and Century Child are all very good.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #11,739 of 29,666
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll definitely check out Therion. 

I'm not usually keen on female fronted metal bands due to the opera style singing but wont write them off without a listen - there is a slim chance they might sing normally afterall!

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #11,740 of 29,666
Oct 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #11,742 of 29,666
Jesus thanks guys.You all have gr8 tastes.In the woods are amazing-superb atmosphere.does anyone here like 
Nokturnal Mortum.​
Also i know its been mentioned before but moonsorrow are amazing too.Keep on rocking.​

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #11,743 of 29,666
  Jesus thanks guys.You all have gr8 tastes.In the woods are amazing-superb atmosphere.does anyone here like 
Nokturnal Mortum.​
Also i know its been mentioned before but moonsorrow are amazing too.Keep on rocking.​

Big Nokturnal Mortum fan here
biggrin.gif
 I particularly enjoy Ukrainian and Slavic BM in general.  Drudkh is a must listen as well:

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #11,745 of 29,666
  Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll definitely check out Therion.

I'm not usually keen on female fronted metal bands due to the opera style singing but wont write them off without a listen - there is a slim chance they might sing normally afterall!

Then stay away from Nightwish--you probably already know that!

If you like good, but non-operatic female vocals, The Gathering was a really amazing slightly proggy and nearly always interesting band....not praticularly heavy...but really good in their prime. Creative, symphonic and classy are words that sometimes describes Gathering. The voclaist, Anneke (sp?)  doens't sing in Nightwish Opera Mode. They went through a few changes over the Years.

Mandylion and Nightime Birds are considered goth metal classics. But, I wouldn't even limit them to goth-that word gives me the creeps and makes me think of androgynous teenagers with black nails. 

How to Measure a Plannet and  If/The/Else are five star rock/metal albums in my book. In fact, in my library, I rate those two albums as essential heavy rock music-classic to me that defy catagories.

They are not crushing DM, tho! Think more recent Katatonia or something w/ female vocals.

And, if you haven't heard Beyond the Veil by Tristania...even if you just stream it....it's worth a listen.

One man's two cents on female vocals in heavy music. But, hey I've been diggin on the first three Heart albums....I can be pretty old school!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back