Lets Talk Metal
Feb 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #5,598 of 29,681

Quote:
Morning That Never Came is a masterpiece. They still haven't been able to replicate it, unfortunately.

i agree, as much as i like Emerald Forests and Blackbirds, and New Moon, i dont think either can compare to The Morning that Never Came

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #5,599 of 29,681
That album was my very first doom metal album, so it's very close to my heart. That said, as an immature teenager at the time I couldn't tolerate the slow tempo that well, haha!

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #5,600 of 29,681

Quote:
. That said, as an immature teenager at the time I couldn't tolerate the slow tempo that well, haha!

HAHAHA... That is so true... \m/ 

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5,601 of 29,681
I haven't listened to metal in sooo long, but this thread is going to get me to revisit my old music.  Mostly I listened to Agalloch and Windir.  Was mostly into doom, but I can only remember listening to Estatic Fear.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #5,602 of 29,681
I haven't listened to metal in sooo long, but this thread is going to get me to revisit my old music.  Mostly I listened to Agalloch and Windir.  Was mostly into doom, but I can only remember listening to Estatic Fear.

Morning That Never Came is a masterpiece. They still haven't been able to replicate it, unfortunately.

This. Their latest is still a bit meh for me.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #5,603 of 29,681
Awesome will definitely add this to my list of albums to check out.

Quote:
Holy ****! The guest vocalist from Thy Catafalque's latest album (the clean singer) has released his new album, in the vein of Epic Folk Black Metal, something like Moonsorrow. Very grand, melodic, dense stuff. Check it out! 

@Trogdor Sorry I missed your question! But, your guess is as good as mine. Damn obscure black metallers. :p

@Maza: Watching the video now... but looking at the list, I can already tell it's not gonna be good because it's CHOCK FULL of bands that are made fun of because of their... "unblack" metal tendencies (besides Valdur and Mgla). This should be something.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #5,604 of 29,681
All,  I don't want to malign the sanctity of this thread, however wanted some comments from the many experts who have much more experience than me.

The following songs are from an Indian band Avial (which in my opinion are the only ones who have come up with some original prog/alt rock compositions- while rest of the bands are busy aping metalcore, heavy metal, death metal etc.).

Please share your thoughts...

The language, if you are wondering is Malayalam.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #5,605 of 29,681
Quote:

Seconded, that was really their pinnacle. I also quite enjoyed Hope. Their last two albums have been very meh unfortunately, listened to Emerald Forest some days ago and I felt very indifferent towards it.

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #5,606 of 29,681

Quote:
All,  I don't want to malign the sanctity of this thread, however wanted some comments from the many experts who have much more experience than me.

The following songs are from an Indian band Avial (which in my opinion are the only ones who have come up with some original prog/alt rock compositions- while rest of the bands are busy aping metalcore, heavy metal, death metal etc.).

Please share your thoughts...

The language, if you are wondering is Malayalam.

They are definitely very skilled musicians and they know how to make a song ebb and flow. I do think the distorted rhythm guitar doesn't really add much. Fairly basic stuff, especially in the first track you posted. It's really inoffensive music. Sounds nice in the background but doesn't really grab my attention. I kinda expect a prog band to wow me and make me go "What WAS THAT?". I'd rather listen to the Italian proggers Deus Ex Machina for ultimate progjazzrockmathmetal mind****ery:

EDIT: do remember this is a live track. The album is way more layered. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5,607 of 29,681
I hear you and completely agree as well. Its just that the lyrics are good and if I may say, there are no Indian rock bands in the world scene so this is something which could kick-start new bands coming out.

However, compared to many prog/alt rock bands that I love I know 'Avial' is not completely unique and ground breaking but from Indian point of view they are like visionaries. 

Quote:
They are definitely very skilled musicians and they know how to make a song ebb and flow. I do think the distorted rhythm guitar doesn't really add much. Fairly basic stuff, especially in the first track you posted. It's really inoffensive music. Sounds nice in the background but doesn't really grab my attention. I kinda expect a prog band to wow me and make me go "What WAS THAT?". I'd rather listen to the Italian proggers Deus Ex Machina for ultimate progjazzrockmathmetal mind****ery:

EDIT: do remember this is a live track. The album is way more layered. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #5,608 of 29,681

Quote:
I hear you and completely agree as well. Its just that the lyrics are good and if I may say, there are no Indian rock bands in the world scene so this is something which could kick-start new bands coming out.

However, compared to many prog/alt rock bands that I love I know 'Avial' is not completely unique and ground breaking but from Indian point of view they are like visionaries.

I just found this band and it seems pretty interesting...It has a guy called Vishal composing and playing all the instruments other than the drums. Proggy and just instrumental...

wrathzombie - what do you think about the band Motherjane also from Kerala? I thought they were pretty good, with the Carnatic + rock music amalgam.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #5,609 of 29,681

Have seen them live, I still prefer 'Avial'. Actually, 'Avial' mixes traditional Kerala folk elements with mordern Prog/Alt rock and moreover they sing completely in Malayalam.

Motherjane is more of prog metal heavily influenced by Dream Theater, Iron maiden and Metallica.

I will check out the video in sometime. So ObeyurMaster, how do you know Motherjane?

Quote:

I just found this band and it seems pretty interesting...It has a guy called Vishal composing and playing all the instruments other than the drums. Proggy and just instrumental...

wrathzombie - what do you think about the band Motherjane also from Kerala? I thought they were pretty good, with the Carnatic + rock music amalgam.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #5,610 of 29,681

Quote:

Have seen them live, I still prefer 'Avial'. Actually, 'Avial' mixes traditional Kerala folk elements with mordern Prog/Alt rock and moreover they sing completely in Malayalam.

Motherjane is more of prog metal heavily influenced by Dream Theater, Iron maiden and Metallica.

I will check out the video in sometime. So ObeyurMaster, how do you know Motherjane?

I am from India. I was into the Indian rock/metal scene until I moved to the US. Bands like parikrama, pentagram, bhyanak maut, kryptos etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back