Lets Talk Metal
Oct 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #4,592 of 29,653

Quote:
Mea culpa..

Mea Culpa is also a great song by The Human Abstract...

The solo is amazing, so many arpeggios....

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,594 of 29,653
Well.. it's not very good. It's actually pretty well produced, I just wish it was a good album. Never Dead is ok I guess, and this version of New World Order is nice. Otherwise, bleh.

I just heard We The People and Guns, Drugs & Lame.

So first....neither of these songs are even close to thrash...

Second...all the folks criticizing DM for trying to be some kind of Christian music heavy metal gospel....uhhh, check...

Third...even all that aside....its just so blah....

DaveBSC, where to recovering Megadeth fans hang out?

Ugh, i will probably buy it for sentimental reasons.

EDIT:

Deadly Nightshade was very cool. I love the riff.

Fast Lane is alright. I wish they would play it a lot faster. The tempi is a bit slow for the FAST LANE.

13. No idea what he was thinking.

Wrecker is again alright. Better than Fast Lane but again needs to be played twice as a fast.

Black Swan. Yawn.

Millienium of the Blind is kinda a cool spin of the original song.

Sudden Death and Never Dead are both very cool.

New World Order is not new but a great tune.

I really think this album follows the *same* formula as Endgame. And I thought Endgame was more yawn then bite.

Obviously I have to listen to a real copy. So far this is feeling very 7ish/10 to me. There are some bright spots on the album.

I wish someone told Dave that every time he tries to write a slowish tune, an angel dies. That would hopefully solve some of this non-sense.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #4,595 of 29,653

Quote:
So first....neither of these songs are even close to thrash...

That's kind of the vibe I got from the whole album. It's Megarock, like Cryptic Writings but not as good. I can see why Vic would turn his back on this. I actually think it's considerably worse than Endgame. There's no Dialectic Chaos, there's no This Day We Fight, there's no Headcrusher, and there's no This Is How The Story ends, which are the songs on Endgame that I think are at least half decent. It's better produced than Endgame, but it's just boring. Deadly Nightshade isn't too bad I guess, it has a bit of a TWNAH vibe to it, which is an album I actually like, but no one else does. I'd give it a 6/10, and I'm being generous there.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #4,596 of 29,653
That's kind of the vibe I got from the whole album. It's Megarock, like Cryptic Writings but not as good. I can see why Vic would turn his back on this. I actually think it's considerably worse than Endgame. There's no Dialectic Chaos, there's no This Day We Fight, there's no Headcrusher, and there's no This Is How The Story ends, which are the songs on Endgame that I think are at least half decent. It's better produced than Endgame, but it's just boring. Deadly Nightshade isn't too bad I guess, it has a bit of a TWNAH vibe to it, which is an album I actually like, but no one else does. I'd give it a 6/10, and I'm being generous there.

6/10? That'a a bit harsh. There are some good songs on this record.

Dave, I always like that you are darks and brutals with reviews though.

I think Risk was a 6/10. Its actually a decent rock album.

I need to listen to the final version. Maybe some of the slow stuff will *grow* on me?

But I shall cheer you up with this:

Thoughts?

The Opeth you really wanted this year is it not? (sort of)

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4,597 of 29,653
Not much of a fan of Endgame either - social commentry coming from musicians who partied too hard is a bit rich.
I'm not really that into Megadeath, I was too busy listening to new metal back when I was stupid enough to accept the lyrics lol.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #4,598 of 29,653

Quote:
6/10? That'a a bit harsh. There are some good songs on this record.
Dave, I always like that you are darks and brutals with reviews though.
I think Risk was a 6/10. Its actually a decent rock album.

I don't think so. 5 and below are for really bad albums, like the most recent Norther. Rating this 5/10 would be harsh, but I think a 7/10 is at least a half decent album, with perhaps some rough spots or missteps. Endgame I would give a 7/10 I guess.. but again I think that's being generous. Perhaps if these albums were from some random band I would rate them higher, but they're Megadeth records, and because of that they have to be judged against what Megadeth used to be capable of.

I remember watching Dave talk about the process of writing Countdown, how whenever they would get stuck they'd go outside to the basketball court next to the studio, play for a few minutes, and then come up with the riff to Symphony of Destruction. I think Dave needs to go back to that basketball court. Megadeth riffs used to be able to grab you within two seconds, and the solos were blistering, but more importantly, perfectly integrated with the rhythm guitar parts. There are plenty of bands that play faster and more elaborate solos than Megadeth even in their heyday. What made Megadeth so great was the way the solos were weaved into the song. They were nearly ALL like that, even lesser known songs like Go To Hell from Hidden Treasures. I just don't hear any of that anymore, and I feel like when I see positive reviews for albums like Endgame, it's through the prism of what Megadeth can do *now* rather than how it used to be.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of them, I don't know. I don't feel like I should need to make excuses for them though. I mean look at an album like A Taste For Extreme Divinity. Peter has been doing the Hypocrisy thing for a long time, obviously not as long as Megadeth, but still that album is full of fire and brimstone, and has songs on it that are every bit as good as Roswell 47. Nobody can tell me that Thirteen measures up to even Youthanasia, let alone any of their really good stuff.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #4,599 of 29,653

Quote:
Not much of a fan of Endgame either - social commentry coming from musicians who partied too hard is a bit rich.
I'm not really that into Megadeath, I was too busy listening to new metal back when I was stupid enough to accept the lyrics lol.

Social commentary is not a new concept for Megadeth. The issue is that Dave used to be good at it, railing against specifics like the PMRC, or more tried and true metal subjects like war and corruption. Now it's just a bunch of silly "de terk er jerbs!" tea party nonsense. We The People is less transparently awful than Endgame's title track or Bite The Hand That Feeds, but that doesn't make it any good either.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #4,600 of 29,653
Social commentary is not a new concept for Megadeth. The issue is that Dave used to be good at it, railing against specifics like the PMRC, or more tried and true metal subjects like war and corruption. Now it's just a bunch of silly "de terk er jerbs!" tea party nonsense. We The People is less transparently awful than Endgame's title track or Bite The Hand That Feeds, but that doesn't make it any good either.

Have you seen the interview where Mustaine talks about the "Devil's Chord?" I mean, its getting a bit silly now.

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #4,601 of 29,653

Quote:
Have you seen the interview where Mustaine talks about the "Devil's Chord?" I mean, its getting a bit silly now.

A bit? Lol. According to Dave, he will not play The Conjuring anymore because he put some kind of "hex" on someone, which is supposedly what that song is about, and he believes he had to spend like 20 years to drive out the "evil spirits" that were created or something like that.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #4,602 of 29,653
Well Endgame was a better record. After listening to 13 I had to wash off with Rust In Peace. I can't believe how much Dave sounds like Alice Cooper now days.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #4,603 of 29,653
A bit? Lol. According to Dave, he will not play The Conjuring anymore because he put some kind of "hex" on someone, which is supposedly what that song is about, and he believes he had to spend like 20 years to drive out the "evil spirits" that were created or something like that.

Makes TOTAL sense.

Anyway, that was funny.

I just listened to "13" again.

EDIT: It got a little better. There are few keepers on this that I like better than ANYTHING on Endgame. I really do like Sudden Death, Never Dead, Deadly Nightshade. The rest is palatable kinda sorta.

But I DO LOVE this...everytime they take down a video on the Tubes, within an hour or so a new one is up....when are record companies going to get it....

HINT: Its now time to just stream it online already. Its 2011 almost 2012. Get with the program. I will pick it up at Best Buy or something.

Well I just heard New World Order. Wow, even that is slower. What.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4,605 of 29,653
I'm going to have nighmares now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back