Lets Talk Metal
Oct 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4,577 of 29,676

@ Trogdor

" Btw, if you like Blackened Thrash, surely you have heard of Kverletak?"

I checked out their release self titled LP and I have to say they are 100% not thrash at all. Really a punk band in all. I'm confused.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #4,579 of 29,676
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Blackened thrash? Since when?

Mea culpa..

Sorry, I had a brain fart. I think its because Kvelertak is touring with the The Witch.

Please forgive?

Btw, is the current incarnation of Mayhem worth seeing? I kinda really want to see them but not 100%.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #4,580 of 29,676
By the way, I'm really enjoying the new Graveworm. This album is much heavier than even their recent work, and much more death than black. Very little in the way of shrieks, lots of growls, great riffs. I think its the best album they've done in a long time.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #4,581 of 29,676

Quote:
Mea culpa..
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I think its because Kvelertak is touring with the The Witch.
Please forgive?
Btw, is the current incarnation of Mayhem worth seeing? I kinda really want to see them but not 100%.

Mayhem is really tight these days. They play mostly newer material though, so if you don't like Ordo ad Chao and Grand Declaration than you'd better stay home. I see them whenever I can, always a great experience and Attila is really friendly and interesting to talk to post-gig. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #4,583 of 29,676
The only thing I had ever heard was Engraved In Black from 2003, I was impressed but they were not my total symphonic cup of tea, so to speak. I'm glad I checked out this new release. I may get into this type of music in the end after all. I think we have one of the best releases here for the year. It goes in my top 20 releases that's for sure. The drums are insane. The music is so worked out. Funny how the bands I used to love are putting out 50/50 releases and these guys, who I had only marginal respect for have taken it to 100% and blown me away!  
Quote:
By the way, I'm really enjoying the new Graveworm. This album is much heavier than even their recent work, and much more death than black. Very little in the way of shrieks, lots of growls, great riffs. I think its the best album they've done in a long time.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #4,584 of 29,676
Mayhem is really tight these days. They play mostly newer material though, so if you don't like Ordo ad Chao and Grand Declaration than you'd better stay home. I see them whenever I can, always a great experience and Attila is really friendly and interesting to talk to post-gig. 

I am a BIG BIG fan of Ordo even though I agree with *everyone and their grandma* that the production sucks a little too much. But the music is fantastic on that album.

I wonder if these guys have anything new to play for 2011? I was hoping they would announce a new album soon. Its been a while.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #4,585 of 29,676

Quote:
I am a BIG BIG fan of Ordo even though I agree with *everyone and their grandma* that the production sucks a little too much. But the music is fantastic on that album.
I wonder if these guys have anything new to play for 2011? I was hoping they would announce a new album soon. Its been a while.

I love the production on that album. Like an überkvlt bedroom poop-tsunami smothering everyone and their grandma. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #4,586 of 29,676
Wolf's Lair Abyss, Grand Declaration of War and Chimera are some of my favorite albums of all time. Even the four live albums they did during that period are close to my heart so I can't figure how anyone other than Blasphemer could play the guitar parts live being Blasphemer's style is so different than any other human?

MorfeusI does it the same?

@ Negakinu

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #4,587 of 29,676

Quote:
Wolf's Lair Abyss, Grand Declaration of War and Chimera are some of my favorite albums of all time. Even the four live albums they did during that period are close to my heart so I can't figure how anyone other than Blasphemer could play the guitar parts live being Blasphemer's style is so different than any other human?

MorfeusI does it the same?

@ Negakinu

It's hard to come up with those riffs but it's easy to just play them from tabs. :) Morfeus does alright. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #4,588 of 29,676
I love the production on that album. Like an überkvlt bedroom poop-tsunami smothering everyone and their grandma. 

Well...its a bit too darks to get all the brutals out of it...

But in general, so far, Mayhem is somewhat the alpha and omega of BM. I have not heard a lot of Grand Declaration, just haven't gotten to it.

With that said, so far, I think Taake's new one is probably my BM album of the year.

Before ANYONE says otherwise....one word....

Banjo....
BAN-JO..
B-A-N-J-O....

High hopes for Blut's 777 trilogy....

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #4,589 of 29,676

Quote:
The only thing I had ever heard was Engraved In Black from 2003, I was impressed but they were not my total symphonic cup of tea, so to speak. I'm glad I checked out this new release. I may get into this type of music in the end after all. I think we have one of the best releases here for the year. It goes in my top 20 releases that's for sure. The drums are insane. The music is so worked out. Funny how the bands I used to love are putting out 50/50 releases and these guys, who I had only marginal respect for have taken it to 100% and blown me away!  

I don't really like Scourge of Malice or anything they did before that. Most people seem to feel the opposite, but what can you do. Starting with (N)utopia in 2005 they really began to shift pretty much entirely away from their old symphonic black sound, and that album and the two after it, Collateral Defect and Diabolical Figures are not bad, but they are pretty uneven, like they are still transitioning between old and new. Fragments of Death is firmly in the new style, I think for the better. As The Angels Reach The Beauty might as well've been from a different band, there's nothing of that left at all.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #4,590 of 29,676
This new album has such an inner groove that seems to be held together with glue. Talk about drums! Any release would have been happy this year to get that drum sound. The panning crash cymbals accents near the 50% mark of the album would normally have bugged me but they are all pulled so far back into just the right place in the mix.....Italian Detail! I guess the only other record I'll get from these guys will be their next. 

Quote:
I don't really like Scourge of Malice or anything they did before that. Most people seem to feel the opposite, but what can you do. Starting with (N)utopia in 2005 they really began to shift pretty much entirely away from their old symphonic black sound, and that album and the two after it, Collateral Defect and Diabolical Figures are not bad, but they are pretty uneven, like they are still transitioning between old and new. Fragments of Death is firmly in the new style, I think for the better. As The Angels Reach The Beauty might as well've been from a different band, there's nothing of that left at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back