Lets Talk Metal
Oct 19, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #4,561 of 29,676
So Woe has remastered their delightful gem "Quietly, Undramacticallly" for all to listen and/or buy on Bandcamp,

Woe is basically Chris Grigg's project (Kreig) and definitely one of the premier USBM underground acts. Not hipster either. Just black. Please check it out.

PS MaZA and Negakinu, you both owe me an impression of Order Of Orias. Fantastic Aussie Blackness. Listen here.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4,562 of 29,676
I've finally heard the whole album from a genuine EAC CD rip. The production isn't as bad as I was dreading. It doesn't sound as good as Across The Dark, but it's comparable to the earlier albums in terms of sound quality. In fact, that pretty much sums up my feelings about the music as well. Not as good as Across The Dark, comparable to the earlier stuff. Solid, but not incredible. I could also really do without the clean vocals on the last couple of tracks.

Dave, I got my casket actually on Monday. I immediately put on FLAC and through my JH3A system (sigh, it is leaving me tomorrow for v2.0):

The production is IMO definitely a slight step down from Across The Dark. There is really no excuse for this.

I agree the clean vocals are okay, not particularly great.

I still like the album overall better than Across The Dark however. I really think Across gets monotonous at the end. I rarely can get pass "The Harrowing Years" before things start to blend in.

One For Sorrow is a move in the RIGHT direction. Frankly my biggest criticism is that didn't go further off the beaten path. The progressive elements one the third track are just awesome but not enough.

If the next album is like this one, I will be really disappointed. They definitely have to mix it up going forward.

The other issue about Sorrow I already mentioned: There really isn't one song that just grabs me the whole time. Not to say its not solid, but in your words, its not incredible.

I think this one gets an 8 due to the inferior production from previous releases and lack of incredible tunage. Its still an excellent effort none the less.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4,563 of 29,676
Has anyone heard anything about Anata's new album that's, supposedly, coming out this year? I'm pretty sure it's not as I haven't heard anything new about it, but I just wanted to make sure I have my facts straight.

Oh, and I saw Devin last night at Harpo's (Detroit.) That show was... absolutely amazing! One of the best, if not the best, shows I've ever been to! He even came down and danced with us (on this odd disco-esc dance floor that Harpo's has). 
biggrin.gif

I saw Devin last week too. I have seen him now three times. All three shows had a completely different set. All three times he was fantastic. I met Devin now twice and he remembers me the second time we met (I was shocked). He is the coolest, nicest rockstar I have ever met other than Negakinu who I will be seeing on his first US tour at some point....

Box set is coming, including Ghost 2 and some more interesting acoustic work, as it a lot more HevyDevy...

Btw, The Ocean absolutely BLEW CHUNKS live. I was really disappointed.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #4,564 of 29,676

Quote:
If the next album is like this one, I will be really disappointed. They definitely have to mix it up going forward.
The other issue about Sorrow I already mentioned: There really isn't one song that just grabs me the whole time. Not to say its not solid, but in your words, its not incredible.
I think this one gets an 8 due to the inferior production from previous releases and lack of incredible tunage. Its still an excellent effort none the less.

Agreed. Insomnium are great at what they do, but I don't want to see them release the same album over and over. I also agree that the album has no standout tracks. The best song on there is probably Weather The Storm, which isn't even technically part of the album. Frankly, I think Omnium Gatherum beat them this time. New World Shadows is WAY better produced, more distinctive, more varied, and is a massive improvement over their earlier work. One For Sorrow is treading water a bit.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #4,565 of 29,676
Agreed. Insomnium are great at what they do, but I don't want to see them release the same album over and over. I also agree that the album has no standout tracks. The best song on there is probably Weather The Storm, which isn't even technically part of the album. Frankly, I think Omnium Gatherum beat them this time. New World Shadows is WAY better produced, more distinctive, more varied, and is a massive improvement over their earlier work. One For Sorrow is treading water a bit.

Its weird.

I totally agree with you.

But in the end, I like One For Sorrow better anyway but I should probably go back and listen to New World Shadows again to re-access (that IS a monster of an album).

Now I present to all of you for your enjoyment (cough, ahem, cough), Lulu.

Wow.

I remember the Megadeth vs Metallica arguments when I was a teen.

I won.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #4,566 of 29,676

This just came out and it rules!

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #4,568 of 29,676

Quote:
So Woe has remastered their delightful gem "Quietly, Undramacticallly" for all to listen and/or buy on Bandcamp,
Woe is basically Chris Grigg's project (Kreig) and definitely one of the premier USBM underground acts. Not hipster either. Just black. Please check it out.

PS MaZA and Negakinu, you both owe me an impression of Order Of Orias. Fantastic Aussie Blackness. Listen here.

Loving that Woe track. Blistering yet melancholic. Will check out OoO asap. :)

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #4,569 of 29,676

Loving that Woe track. Blistering yet melancholic. Will check out OoO asap. :)

And you are going to laugh at me....

You are....

I just found Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God.

Wow! I thought the first 777 Trilogy CD was ground breaking material, eagerly awaiting Nov 15th.

Holy anti-christ....and of course I don't have my JH3A now....damn it...

For those interested in one of the premier black metal forces out of France (other than clearly D-Omega), check this track out:

Absolutely chilling.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4,570 of 29,676

This just came out and it rules!

I have went through the above album about 4 times now on GuitarWorld. I posted the link earlier.

You know what peeves me off about that album: the best track is the first track! Then its solid blackened 2 minute thrash with a few stand out tracks but nothing as good as the first one.

Btw if you like SkeletonWitch or blackened thrash, you should *really* do yourself a favor and check out the latest Absu release on Bandcamp. Wicked.

For your judgement:

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #4,571 of 29,676
Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God is by far their best work. I found it in 2007 after hearing their newer stuff...(Mort). There is a special 2X album cd of it out there to

@Trogdor

. I'l have to check out Absu.

The Band Bewitched have an album out of blackthrash called Spiritual Warfare! Some how I'm getting into black thrash metal all of a sudden. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #4,572 of 29,676
Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God is by far their best work. I found it in 2007 after hearing their newer stuff...(Mort). There is a special 2X album cd of it out there to

@Trogdor

. I'l have to check out Absu.

The Band Bewitched have an album out of blackthrash called Spiritual Warfare! Some how I'm getting into black thrash metal all of a sudden. 

I am going to try to find that CD!

Btw, if you like Blackened Thrash, surely you have heard of Kverletak?

They just kick butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back