Lets Talk Metal
Oct 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #4,532 of 29,701

Quote:
I wouldn't call Katatonia doom at all. Try Gates of Slumber, Electric Wizard, or Reverend Bizarre.

Quote:
Katatonia were considered Doom Metal only on their first 2 albums. the other albums mentioned are Emotional Rock/Metal hybrid, if you want to categorize them.

Good examples of Doom metal and it's subgenres are early My Dying Bride, early Anathema, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Electric Wizard...just to name a few.

Quote:
Katatonia switched to a kind of alternative gothic metal since Tonight's Decision. They really aren't what I'd call alt/prog. There are a lot of different kinds of doom metal - Ahab and Doom:VS for example are quite different from Candlemass or My Dying Bride.

Quote:
Katatonia is doomish/gothic hybrid.
Their first 2 albums weren't even doom in my book, they were melodic/gothic death metal.
Anyway, enough of all this taxonomy, you should all be getting excited about this.
LOL. What the heck happened...

So there is an actual confusion in the definition of Doom.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #4,534 of 29,701
Featuring skrillex? Yeah, no way I'm listening to that.

Ok, I will make it up to you, the new Skeleton Witch (blackened thrash) is solid, listen to it here.

Thats better :wink:, though I'm not really a fan of them.
Anyone else like Swashbuckle? I've been listening to them almost exclusively this week.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9vKQH_i8Z4[/VIDEO]

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4,535 of 29,701
Quote:
Well, an American tour can't be too far off. I hereby promise to put you on the guestlist if you ever wanna come to a gig. As long as you buy a shirt, that is. :wink:

Wow, congrats on being signed, especially by SOM!  Didn't want to sell out with Nuclear Blast? :wink:

Will be paying close attention to you guys.  I like the symphonic elements, clean production, and the whole haunted house/pirate sound.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4,536 of 29,701

Quote:

So there is an actual confusion in the definition of Doom.

I consider this doom

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #4,537 of 29,701

Quote:
Wow, congrats on being signed, especially by SOM!  Didn't want to sell out with Nuclear Blast? :wink:

Will be paying close attention to you guys.  I like the symphonic elements, clean production, and the whole haunted house/pirate sound.

I'd never sign to Nuclear Blast. The industry is getting more impersonal as it is. NB is a conglomerate. SoM still has that oldschool metal vibe. 
And ferrchrissake, enough with the pirates! :wink: Next album is gonna be so brutal you're gonna wish you never yohoho'ed in the first place. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #4,538 of 29,701
Quote:
I'd never sign to Nuclear Blast. The industry is getting more impersonal as it is. NB is a conglomerate. SoM still has that oldschool metal vibe. 
And ferrchrissake, enough with the pirates! :wink: Next album is gonna be so brutal you're gonna wish you never yohoho'ed in the first place. 

No!  The masses demand this!

I've been impressed with many of the artists on SoM, and the newer Drudkh (starting with Blood in Our Wells like you suggested) are a lot more interesting than the earlier work.  Even with the SoM releases I'm not so fond of, at the very least, the work's different and interesting, which is a lot more than I can say for how vanilla NB is getting with Swedish melodic death metal.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #4,539 of 29,701
Decided to have a listening session to some Cynic (Focus and traced in air back to back) as I wanted some musical inspiration.
Damn they do it well.
I'm not sure who wouldn't appreciate cynic really, thats the kind of music I'd be proud to create.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #4,540 of 29,701
Decided to have a listening session to some Cynic (Focus and traced in air back to back) as I wanted some musical inspiration.Damn they do it well.I'm not sure who wouldn't appreciate cynic really, thats the kind of music I'd be proud to create. 

I have really gotten into Cynic. HOWEVER, I am worried that the latest EP will solidify their exit out of heavy metal. We shall see. It is their fusion of jazzy melodies and death metal riffage that makes them special - I hope they don't forget that.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #4,542 of 29,701

Quote:
I have really gotten into Cynic. HOWEVER, I am worried that the latest EP will solidify their exit out of heavy metal. We shall see. It is their fusion of jazzy melodies and death metal riffage that makes them special - I hope they don't forget that.

Hmmm, I have to say, I loved Traced in air alot more than Focus, it had a feel about it that focus doesn't have for me, that being said, I wasn't even born when Focus was released, so I wasn't around to get the full impact of such a monumentous album.
Carbon based anatomy, sounds very much like a progression on from Traced in air, its got that really spacious sound to it, it sounds more like a breathe of fresh air, something the metal scene very much needs, I can still hear on the solo, and some of the riffs after it, the old death metal riffs, but they have been but in the background, and the really progressive, jazzy sound has really taken front stage,
Ina similar way to Opeths Heritage, having acoustic, and clean vocals take the stage, and the metal sections being pulled into the background, I do feel this is something the metal scene really needs, that anger, and frustration that so much metal lives off, is being removed, and the maturity that has grown up in metal over the years needs to really surface now, and show its true colours, because otherwise, metals going to drive itself into the ground with a generic cycle.
I'd love this to take off, not so much as a departure of the great metal bands away from metal, but as a movement of metal, to a more interesting, and musical place, the world is saturated with generic ideas thrown around already, no need for more.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #4,543 of 29,701

Quote:
Also, NO ONE has has any Insomnium comments other than production? Don't be shy.

I've finally heard the whole album from a genuine EAC CD rip. The production isn't as bad as I was dreading. It doesn't sound as good as Across The Dark, but it's comparable to the earlier albums in terms of sound quality. In fact, that pretty much sums up my feelings about the music as well. Not as good as Across The Dark, comparable to the earlier stuff. Solid, but not incredible. I could also really do without the clean vocals on the last couple of tracks.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #4,544 of 29,701
I've finally heard the whole album from a genuine EAC CD rip. The production isn't as bad as I was dreading. It doesn't sound as good as Across The Dark, but it's comparable to the earlier albums in terms of sound quality. In fact, that pretty much sums up my feelings about the music as well. Not as good as Across The Dark, comparable to the earlier stuff. Solid, but not incredible. I could also really do without the clean vocals on the last couple of tracks.

Well that's good news. So the early reports are just symptoms of a horrible codec used (can someone at Century please get a clue).

I have listened to the various streaming offerings and I think my early report is that I like it better than Across the Dark, less than Above The Weeping World. I think as a whole its their most dynamic and varied offering to date. I think the biggest criticism I have with Insomnium (as do others) is that they are somewhat formulaic. I give them a lot of credit for deviating a bit from the formula but still succesfully executing their core melodeath competencies on Sorrow.

Dave, give it a few more turns, I think you might like it a bit more than you first described. Some tracks DID grow on me.

I do agree that there is no single track that defines the album like a "Down With The Sun" or "Mortal Share."

Sigh, I await my casket from Finland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back