Lets Talk Metal
Oct 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #4,516 of 29,701
like seriously....this song is nuts

from 4:00 to like 4:25 has got to be my favorite part of the entire song, ******* bonkers vocal delivery

though im not a huge fan of overdubbed vocals, i know basically every metal band ever does it...

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #4,517 of 29,701

Quote:
We got signed by Season of Mist! 

Official statement: 

"Season of Mist is excited to announce we just inked a deal with symphonic black metallers CARACH ANGREN!
"We are very proud to be on SOM's roster!" the band comments. "This covenant will enable us to release more haunting upon the world in the years to come. Furthermore we want to thank everyone (crew, friends, fans) for supporting us over the years, especially Phil / Maddening Media who put us on the map! A new horrific concept album is being written this autumn and recordings will start in less than two weeks. We promise you it will be darker and more epic than ever before!"
The Dutch act's third full-length will be released some time next year."

Awesome stuff there x2, reminds me of Emperor, if they went further in the symphonic direction.  Lammendam is out of stock 
angry_face.gif

On another topic, just had another listen to Dimmu's last [poor] effort, it might appease the basement dwelling nerd crowd but.  Really terrible [of Dimmu] to actually copy what COF has degraded to.  What were they thinking.

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #4,518 of 29,701
like seriously....this song is nuts

from 4:00 to like 4:25 has got to be my favorite part of the entire song, ******* bonkers vocal delivery

though im not a huge fan of overdubbed vocals, i know basically every metal band ever does it...

I think Be Still and Know is my favorite.

These guys have finally solidified themselves as a premier US Metal act. Yes I know they had a falling out a few years back and made some mistakes. But the last three albums are all good to fantastic. Flynn is typical California weird (no offense) but the guy really knows how to make metal.

Alright so no one has mentioned them and though at first listen they turned me off, I am actually digging Cynic. Anyone hear their new song off their upcoming EP?

Also, NO ONE has has any Insomnium comments other than production? Don't be shy.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #4,519 of 29,701

Quote:
So first off...totally congrats...this is awesome...
Negakinu your recommendations have always been appreciated and you are my GO TO BME!
But now this means you must tour in the US...
And that means I should get a free ticket to a show...
In summary, your NEW goal is to play a show in the Tri-State and buy me a drink! :)

Well, an American tour can't be too far off. I hereby promise to put you on the guestlist if you ever wanna come to a gig. As long as you buy a shirt, that is. :wink:

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #4,520 of 29,701

Quote:
Also, NO ONE has has any Insomnium comments other than production? Don't be shy.

I'm waiting for a genuine FLAC rip, something I'm sure is not a transcode. If it sounds as bad as has been suggested, I'll listen to it, but I won't buy it. There's really not much else that can be done to protest album ruining mastering engineers. That's what I ended up doing with Sworn To A Great Divide, I listened to probably 3 or 4 different MP3 copies, and it wasn't until I heard the FLAC that I was able to figure out that yeah, it really did sound that bad. I'm not going to bother with all that this time.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #4,522 of 29,701
What exactly is doom metal?

I have been listening to Katatonia:

1. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
  2. Viva Emptiness 
  3. The Great Cold Distance
  4. Night Is the New Day

I didn't find anything DOOMY in the above, where they Doom in the initial albums and then changed to an Alt/Prog sound?

Or is my understanding of Doom metal wrong.

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #4,523 of 29,701
What exactly is doom metal?

I have been listening to Katatonia:

1. Last Fair Deal Gone Down
  2. Viva Emptiness 
  3. The Great Cold Distance
  4. Night Is the New Day

I didn't find anything DOOMY in the above, where they Doom in the initial albums and then changed to an Alt/Prog sound?

You don't find any of this melancholy at all? I mean seriously? :)

So rumor on the street Dave is that the CD version of One for Sorrow is much better....that's the rumor....many have complained about the bad transcode...

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #4,524 of 29,701

Quote:
You don't find any of this melancholy at all? I mean seriously? :)
So rumor on the street Dave is that the CD version of One for Sorrow is much better....that's the rumor....many have complained about the bad transcode...

Yes I found melancholy... So does that mean its Doom. I always related Doom to be with this slow, heavy repetitive riffing kind of thing. So does that mean Opeth is doom too, apart from being everything else that it is.

So basically melancholy = doom (Period) is that it.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4,525 of 29,701
Yes I found melancholy... So does that mean its Doom. I always related Doom to be with this slow, heavy repetitive riffing kind of thing. So does that mean Opeth is doom too, apart from being everything else that it is.

So basically melancholy = doom (Period) is that it.

Well no....hold on....slow heavy repetitive riffing sounds like Funeral or Funeral Doom....very slow progression etc. Again, keyword is Funeral, makes a big difference.

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #4,527 of 29,701
Katatonia were considered Doom Metal only on their first 2 albums. the other albums mentioned are Emotional Rock/Metal hybrid, if you want to categorize them.

Good examples of Doom metal and it's subgenres are early My Dying Bride, early Anathema, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Electric Wizard...just to name a few.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #4,528 of 29,701

Quote:

Katatonia switched to a kind of alternative gothic metal since Tonight's Decision. They really aren't what I'd call alt/prog. There are a lot of different kinds of doom metal - Ahab and Doom:VS for example are quite different from Candlemass or My Dying Bride.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #4,529 of 29,701
Katatonia is doomish/gothic hybrid.

Their first 2 albums weren't even doom in my book, they were melodic/gothic death metal.

Anyway, enough of all this taxonomy, you should all be getting excited about this.

LOL. What the heck happened...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back