Lets Talk Metal
Oct 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #4,546 of 29,693

Quote:
Well that's good news. So the early reports are just symptoms of a horrible codec used (can someone at Century please get a clue).
I have listened to the various streaming offerings and I think my early report is that I like it better than Across the Dark, less than Above The Weeping World. I think as a whole its their most dynamic and varied offering to date. I think the biggest criticism I have with Insomnium (as do others) is that they are somewhat formulaic. I give them a lot of credit for deviating a bit from the formula but still succesfully executing their core melodeath competencies on Sorrow.
Dave, give it a few more turns, I think you might like it a bit more than you first described. Some tracks DID grow on me.
I do agree that there is no single track that defines the album like a "Down With The Sun" or "Mortal Share."
Sigh, I await my casket from Finland.

I can't wait to hear it! I'm gonna buy it tomorrow on amazon (if there are any copies) and get 1 day shipping if possible! 

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #4,548 of 29,693
Yeah, pretty forgettable. There's been a real samey/uninspired quality to Megadeth riffs for awhile, and this doesn't change that. Also, it is just me, or does this song have a strong resemblance to this?

Somebody on Blabber said something like that....kinda, sorta....

But you are NEVER DEAD on (I couldn't help myself, I apologize in advance) that the Megadeth riff company has been creating very unforgettable products of late.

Anyone out there listen to the new Skeletonwitch?

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #4,552 of 29,693
Is this centered around nu metal and stuff of the sort? Because I listen to a lot of metalcore, grindcore, deathmetal, melodic death metal. Etc.

Not really, but I don't think grindcore or old school death would be out of place here.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #4,558 of 29,693
Any thoughts? I'm liking this album a lot. It makes me think of some kind of Katatonia/Mercenary cross. Good Mercenary, not what the band is now.

Listen to them on Spotify when they showed up on the Metalstorm charts.

One word: Odd. I still don't even know if I would call them metal.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4,559 of 29,693

Quote:
Listen to them on Spotify when they showed up on the Metalstorm charts.
One word: Odd. I still don't even know if I would call them metal.

Yeah, they are labeled progressive metal on MS which I don't think is really right. There are some power elements in there, crossed with alt rock and some other bits. The first half of the album is definitely the better half. I think it's too long overall, and the second half loses some focus and drifts more into alt rock. "Rikki Tikki Tavi" is supposedly an older song that they decided to toss in the middle, which was a bad decision IMO. It doesn't fit the flow of the album at all, and given that there are 15 tracks with the closer clocking in at 10 minutes, the album doesn't need padding. 11-15 blend together a bit, and I probably would've cut at least two of them.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #4,560 of 29,693
Has anyone heard anything about Anata's new album that's, supposedly, coming out this year? I'm pretty sure it's not as I haven't heard anything new about it, but I just wanted to make sure I have my facts straight.

Oh, and I saw Devin last night at Harpo's (Detroit.) That show was... absolutely amazing! One of the best, if not the best, shows I've ever been to! He even came down and danced with us (on this odd disco-esc dance floor that Harpo's has). 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back