Lets Talk Metal
Sep 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #4,201 of 29,682

Yay actually, I'm digging it. Thanks for the reminder! 

Yay on "Wretched Wisdom". I did a post on them a couple o' pages back. Mixed feelings. 

Yay, especially on "Ahrimanic Trance". One of my fav black metal songs of late. 

Great. I'm pretty sure I am going to see Wolves, Krallice, and Thou tonight. Its my first BME show. I will try to look aloof and disinterested while the bands get on at all times. Promise.

Alright....sorry, I couldn't help myself....let you know how it goes...

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #4,202 of 29,682

Quote:
Agreed Dave.

But what's interesting is I find their latest album musically, to be their best effort to date. The album is just stellar. I mean stellar.

Check the below tracks out (its a two parter).

L3000.gif

Listening to the albums, Great recommendation...  \m/

Quote:
I don't remember any posts about Sylosis.

@DaveBSC/Soup's: Have you guys heard the new Sylosis album? I owe Dave for Revocation's Chaos of Forms which is just bad a55. But I am really digging Sylosis. I think it is as good as Revocation's Chaos of Forms. Still evaluating. Album is on the Tubes and Spotify.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #4,204 of 29,682

Awesome song, great album. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #4,205 of 29,682

Quote:
Someone just told me I'm probably not into black metal at all. He also told me "I should start reading books." Probably because I said Watain is silly. Hilarity ensues. 

Really? Sillyness isnt necessarily a bad thing. Dark Funeral is cheesy as hell, and I love it.
biggrin.gif
No thoughts on Watain though. And what books have to do with Black Metal / Watain anyway?

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #4,208 of 29,682

I'm liking these guys a lot. Anyone know where I could get the album?

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #4,209 of 29,682

Quote:
I'm liking these guys a lot. Anyone know where I could get the album?

No, but I can tell you that the photo on the cover is of the "Initiation Well" (from the bottom of it) on Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra, near Lisbon, 20km from where I live.

Have some photos taken there just like that one. For instance http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/496357190_f971bafc57_z.jpg

Nice place.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #4,210 of 29,682

Quote:
No, but I can tell you that the photo on the cover is of the "Initiation Well" (from the bottom of it) on Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra, near Lisbon, 20km from where I live.

Have some photos taken there just like that one. For instance http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/496357190_f971bafc57_z.jpg

Nice place.

Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #4,212 of 29,682
So a very early review of the new Insomnium album which is bound to leak any day now (it was apparently spinning on last.fm for a little while which is where I found this, no I found it):

"The music changed, but surprisingly not towards a doomy sound as we all suspected. They still keep their trademark atmospheric touch without a doubt, but the guitar patterns are not the same as on ATD, there are several songs which sound very aggressive and full of their heaviest (and fastest) riffs so far, think I even heard some blastbeats on Song of the Blackest Bird - it's a real killer, that one, and it's about 7:30 min. long. Other tracks like this are Only One Who Waits which reminds me more of oldschool In Flames or just the typical Gothenburg sound before they start using some of their melodic elements - the guitar basis here is almost pure Swedish worship, could be because of Daniel Antonsson of DT who mixed the effort. A slightly similar method is used on Unsung and even Every Hour Wounds, both are full-blooded headbangers and the first one is just the perfect choice for that appetizer they chose. But still there's no mistake that you're listening to Insomnium, no way.

To get back on the start, Inertia is an intro with Niilo's narratives at the end, Through the Shadows is a typical Insomnium opener but what surprised me is that (if you neglect the lyrics) it's one of the most positive-sounding tracks with a thrilling chorus featuring both growls and cleans similar to Where the Last Wave Broke, but I'm not sure if they used Jules for the cleans again despite it sounds like him. Then the fun stops here and those aforementioned monsters rush in with full force. And yeah, you'll hear the same great cleans on Unsung again.

Decoherence is a slightly "modern" (not in the bad sense) acoustic interlude, Lay the Ghost to Rest is the second track aside from Song of the Blackest Bird to clock in at almost 8 min., showing what skilled musicians can do when they're called Insomnium, haha. An atmospheric track with both growls and cleans, beautiful tunes and one of my favorite endings - in fact, that could easily be called your "doom" song, in a way. Regain the Fire brings the necessary contrast as a sign of light at the end of the tunnel with one of the most memorable and pleasant clean/growl duo choruses on the entire effort. Reminds me of another band's approach but I can't quite grasp it atm so maybe I'll get to it on the review. The ending is the title track, One for Sorrow, and once again it's sung in both vocal manners with kinda goth/doom-like verses before the chorus where Niilo sings on a firm guitar basis which gets its instrumental crescendo as it ends. A most worthy curtain call despite I suspect they'll include Weather the Storm in the final digipack package, but that's for Century Media to decide.

So, in several words, it's different, not so homogeneous and unified by one concrete theme in itself as Across the Dark, but it's their most surprising, refreshing and professional record to date (add a perfect production), at least in my ears. They refined their vocal lines and decided to put the guitarists to work at maximum, at the same time playing the infamous top-notch atmospheric melodeath with a great collaborative songwriting.

I'd hardly be able to give any scores (I really hate that, haha), but ever since the start they've only been improving with time. My champion was Across the Dark and I like the rest equally, but One for Sorrow could be their sound-defining record."

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #4,215 of 29,682
They look like they're having heaps of fun to me. I can't remember how many stupid, silly, horrible bandphoto's I've been in but I can tell you it's refreshing to see a band actually use them for promotion instead of shamefully hiding them in the archive so that no BME shall ever lay eyes upon them. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'm sure I can kiss my career goodbye if those ever leak... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back