Lets Talk Metal
Sep 16, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #4,231 of 29,701

haha i guess...but alas Ritual is too good not to listen to all the time :p

but i guess you could include; Arcalogies by Dan Dankmeyer, Metazoa by Cormorant( they just announced a date for their new album Dwellings! the 6th of December, i cant freaking wait!), Fragments of Form and Function by Allegaeon, Communion by Septic Flesh, Passion by Anaal Nathrahk, and Digital Veil by The Human Abstract

you happier now 
cool.gif

See...Metazoa, Arcalogies? Never heard of them. I knew I would get something different out of you!

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #4,232 of 29,701

Quote:
Quote:
Top 5? Cant really say, I listen so many different albums weekly. :/ Currently I have some Solstice playing in background. Not the doom metal one, but the criminally underrated oldschool Thrash/Death Metal band, bit Malevolent Creationish.

MaZa, I notice you like a lot of old school thrash. Have you listened to Revocation's Chaos of Forms and Sylosis Edge of The Earth?

Nope. Neither. But since you mentioned them I'll check them out. :)

Quote:
Actually Negakinu gave me Drudkh and I am forever in his debt. I have actually found out that I really love atmospheric and symphonic black metal.

I am also always looking for more atmospheric black metal, being my favourite and all. Know anything interesting that I might not be aware of?

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #4,233 of 29,701
Now playing some tr00 norwegian black metal, Koldbrann. This song kicks some major arse!

Also some Massemord, the norwegian band and not the Polish one. Their Skogen Kaller album is a must hear for any BM fan. Surprisingly varied too, every song follow a different "gimmick" than another, even sound and production varies between songs.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #4,234 of 29,701

Quote:
Solstice fan, eh? Nice. I have the S/T and To Dust, but still need Pray.

Yeah. Loved them the moment I heard the song I posted. The thrash break in it is just great! I have heard Pray several times but for some reason it doesnt click with me like To Dust and self titled do. :/

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4,235 of 29,701

Quote:
Top5 of the last month:

devin townsend - deconstruction
devin townsend - ghost
manes - how the world came to an end
katatonia - night is the new day
katatonia - unfurl (this one track from the mini)

I love, love LOVE Unfurl. I think Displaced, Dissolving Bonds, and Code Against The Code, are also as good as any of the album tracks, if not better. I think Katatonia should release either a four track EP with these, or a complete LE version of The Great Cold Distance the way Bloodbath did with Fathomless Mastery, especially since at least one of the singles is now out of print and unavailable.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #4,236 of 29,701

Quote:
Dave I have to ask, has Heritage grown on you or are you still...meh about it?

I am going to say in fanboy fashion, I really love Heritage. Its not death metal but its beautiful and undeniably Opeth. Not my all time favorite (BWP) but I think it might rank up there in my top three. I still have to digest it since it hasn't even officially come out.

I like Heritage, but I don't think it's their greatest work ever. I would definitely rate it above Watershed, and above Damnation and Deliverance as well. Better than Still Life or My Arms though? No.

I must admit I'm also less meh about Septic Flesh now after listening again. I still think that The Undead Keep Dreaming is terrible, but other than that, its a solid album. Not ZOMG amazing, though.

Btw symphonic metal fans (are there any here?) Delain is back in the studio recording their next album, which I am looking forward to as April Rain is still pretty much the only album in this whole genre that I like.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #4,237 of 29,701

Quote:
See...Metazoa, Arcalogies? Never heard of them. I knew I would get something different out of you!

haha you just havent been paying attention, cause i bring up Cormorant all the time :p They've got a new cd coming out, like a month ago i posted that they put their last cd for free on bandcamp, you shoulda grabbed it. Seriously though, there isnt a cd this year that im looking forward to as much as Dwellings from Cormorant, its going to be nuts.

they just debuted a new song today
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/09/15/140504746/cormorant-follow-the-blackened-thread

and heres a song from their last cd Metazoa

Dan Dankmeyer also gives his albums away on Bandcamp, ive got his two newest cd's Arcologies and Origins, i like them both, but prefer Arcologies just a bit, you should definitely check him out since its free and all. Its all instrumental but i like it.
and heres a song from Arcologies

Also, has everyone seen that the new Animals as Leaders cd Weightless was announced?? comes out in november i think.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #4,238 of 29,701

Nope. Neither. But since you mentioned them I'll check them out. :)

I am also always looking for more atmospheric black metal, being my favourite and all. Know anything interesting that I might not be aware of?

Have you heard the Woe CD? What about the new Wolves In The Throne Room?

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4,239 of 29,701
I like Heritage, but I don't think it's their greatest work ever. I would definitely rate it above Watershed, and above Damnation and Deliverance as well. Better than Still Life or My Arms though? No.

I must admit I'm also less meh about Septic Flesh now after listening again. I still think that The Undead Keep Dreaming is terrible, but other than that, its a solid album. Not ZOMG amazing, though.

Btw symphonic metal fans (are there any here?) Delain is back in the studio recording their next album, which I am looking forward to as April Rain is still pretty much the only album in this whole genre that I like.

Didn't say it was! BWP is my all-time favorite. No one has any love for Morningrise?

EDIT: I will say this Dave, Heritage is a 8/10 album for me. A very strong effort by Opeth despite no growls. I just want to make that clear.

I think the The Great Mass is a very strong release in this genre to the say the least. Definitely an album of the year *consideration* (its not my favorite this year either).

Delain? No idea man, will check out.

Have you listened to the new Dekadent CD? Dave, please give that a spin:

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #4,240 of 29,701
haha you just havent been paying attention, cause i bring up Cormorant all the time :p They've got a new cd coming out, like a month ago i posted that they put their last cd for free on bandcamp, you shoulda grabbed it. Seriously though, there isnt a cd this year that im looking forward to as much as Dwellings from Cormorant, its going to be nuts.

they just debuted a new song today
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/09/15/140504746/cormorant-follow-the-blackened-thread

and heres a song from their last cd Metazoa

Dan Dankmeyer also gives his albums away on Bandcamp, ive got his two newest cd's Arcologies and Origins, i like them both, but prefer Arcologies just a bit, you should definitely check him out since its free and all. Its all instrumental but i like it.
and heres a song from Arcologies

Also, has everyone seen that the new Animals as Leaders cd Weightless was announced?? comes out in november i think.

Listening to Cormorant right now....Soup I may owe you again...listening to the new track on NPR...

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4,242 of 29,701

Quote:
Didn't say it was! BWP is my all-time favorite. No one has any love for Morningrise?

EDIT: I will say this Dave, Heritage is a 8/10 album for me. A very strong effort by Opeth despite no growls. I just want to make that clear.

I think the The Great Mass is a very strong release in this genre to the say the least. Definitely an album of the year *consideration* (its not my favorite this year either).

Delain? No idea man, will check out.

Have you listened to the new Dekadent CD? Dave, please give that a spin:

Morningrise is very good, but I think I prefer Orchid. When I first got in to Opeth I thought MR was a bit raw, but I've since grown to appreciate it more. Still not in my top 3 though. I think 8/10 for Heritage is fair.

Delain was started by Martijn Westerholt of Within Temptation, and also has or had guys from Nightwish, Tarot, Lacrimosa, and Epica in it. The key for me though is Charlotte Wessels on vocals. I don't like nearly all symphonic metal female vocalists, including Sharon den Adel and Simone Simons. Charlotte is different though, and like Lisa Johansson, she works for me.

Delain's first album is average symphonic metal, but the second April Rain is really good and REALLY well produced. One of the best sounding metal records I've ever heard.

Dekadent sounds pretty good, will need to check more of that out.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #4,245 of 29,701

Circle of Dead Children, Anybody??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back