Lets Talk Metal
Jul 30, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3,781 of 29,683

Quote:
Okay, Chris, where did you find Solerrain? They are solid. English version of the CD is apparently available as a Japanese import.

Youtube? 

I found them on Metallum but I also like to watch "Best Melodeath songs/albums" to patrol for new bands. I'm not that crafty haha.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #3,782 of 29,683

Quote:
Youtube? 

I found them on Metallum but I also like to watch "Best Melodeath songs/albums" to patrol for new bands. I'm not that crafty haha.

I do the same thing! Its so easy and convenient.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #3,783 of 29,683
guys the new dream theater song is killer and i can't get enough of it.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #3,785 of 29,683

Quote:
This guy loves Mastodon (you can't see it but I'm pointing at myself).  I am excited for the new release, but not excited enough to pay $50 for the limited edition pre-order.

i just recently got into mastodon and i love them.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #3,787 of 29,683
omg i found my ideal band.

this song literally brings tears to my eyes. i have been searching for a band like this for years.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #3,788 of 29,683

Quote:
omg i found my ideal band.

this song literally brings tears to my eyes. i have been searching for a band like this for years.

OMGAD YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF SABATON YET?!!!

WW2 METAL BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES BRO T___T

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #3,789 of 29,683
This guy loves Mastodon (you can't see it but I'm pointing at myself).  I am excited for the new release, but not excited enough to pay $50 for the limited edition pre-order.

I pre-ordered it. Usually Mastodon does a great job with extras.

In the span of a few weeks we will see new releases from:

Opeth, Insomnium, Mastodon, Dream Theater, and Megadeth. Holy cow!

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #3,790 of 29,683
I listen to abit of Amon Amarth but they make my head hurt..

:s

Can anyone recommend songs with a little melodic singing, screaming, catchy riffs and
epic melodic solos that don't sound like the guitarists are trying so hard to show off their
technical skills?

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #3,791 of 29,683

Quote:

Can anyone recommend songs with a little melodic singing, screaming, catchy riffs and
epic melodic solos that don't sound like the guitarists are trying so hard to show off their
technical skills?

Why does it make your head hurt? Amon Amarth pretty much consists of those things you describe: catchy melodies, nothing too technical but emotionally catching. :/

Tattered Banners And Bloody Flags (if melodic buildup starting from 1:52 isnt catchy then I dont know what is), Hermods Ride To Hel and Dragons Flight Across The Waves are good songs to start with from that band.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #3,792 of 29,683
I love mastodon, but I am having my doubts if I should spend $62 (shipped to Europe) for the limited edition. 

Quote:

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3,793 of 29,683
Quote:

technical skills?

Amon Amarth's recording/production hasn't been the best, their raw emotion that they bring to the melodeth... err viking deth metal scene is what makes them different. Some of the ballads they write are quite powerful despite being rather tinny and grainy. Then again maybe it's moar metal to not care about that kind of stuff. For me, I'd love to have a Dream Theatre/Tool style of looking at recording to capture them "jacking off the guitar".

But Amon Amarth is one of the slow ones, you really don't want to hear some of the other melodeth stuff.

Quote:
I love mastodon, but I am having my doubts if I should spend $62 (shipped to Europe) for the limited edition. 

Um if you paypal me or somebody else a few bucks I can just mail it to you for at most half the cost if I go pick up a copy today.... anything to help out a Metalhead? 

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #3,794 of 29,683

Quote:
I think in general its the fans that dictate the taxonomy since all artists *just* play music. We classify as an organization tool for discussion and to find other groups/cliches to associate with.

All I am saying is that if you were in a crowd of heavy metal fans, I seriously doubt Limp Bizkit would be an appropriate topic.

In fact, I'm so sure about it, the next heavy metal show that does not include Limp Bizkit, please in between sets, scream "I love Limp Bizkit." Wait, and see the reaction. Feel free to scream it out as much as you can so a good sample of headbangers hears you.

Please report back.

Try the same thing, but instead of "I love Limp Bizkit" scream, "Slayer!" Again, wait and see the reaction.

Please report back.

[DISCLAIMER: Screaming "I love Limp Bizkit" at a heavy metal show may cause serious injury or death. Say at your own risk.]

I have done things like that at gigs here in Mexico where I live
biggrin.gif
!!, and yes I have gotten booed but no violence....It helps when I am the club bouncer hahaha. I'm 40 now and been listening to metal since I was 6 so me and a bunch of old timers are kind of authority figures in these parts of the woods, and the younger crowd respects our point of view, even if they sometimes don't agree. I used to host a local metal radio show, and I put everything that to my ears is metal. I like it when people start to become more open minded and appreciate from Judas Priest to Slayer, to early Queen, to Iwrestledabearonce to Sir Lord Baltimore and back... It's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back