Lets Talk Metal
Jul 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3,751 of 29,701

I just don't like to have things in my ears for long periods. I know how amazing the JH customs as well as some of the others are supposed to be, but when I take my Alpine Flyfit plugs out after a long flight, my ears are sore, and the Alpines are by far the most comfortable ear plugs I've tried. Typical ones like EarPlanes become quite painful after a few hours. I know a custom is different from even a very soft universal flange style plug, but I'm just nervous that after two or three hours my ears are going to be sore, and because they're customs I'll be stuck with them.

Totally thought the same thing.

And I was wrong...

Now that I have lived with my JH3A/J16P for 2 weeks I can emphatically say that provided your molds are done correctly, its the most comfortable cans you can possibly wear. Period.

Dave if you know someone with hearing aids, ask them about comfort (btw, customs by JHA are even more comfortable).

Every major artist you can think of has custom IEMs when they are on stage. Comfort is not the issue.

I agree with the re-sale value. It took my 5+ years to finally pull the trigger and just deal with it. In the office, I need isolation. Period. There are no headphones I know of that can provide the level of audio reproduction and isolation as custom IEMs.

[And yes I use to have a Lavry DAC and HD800 sitting on my cube desk for a while]

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #3,752 of 29,701
10,000 days I just flat out did not like. I used to listen to Tool as a teenager and I still have the older albums, but i rarely if ever listen to them. I just think they are boring now, not like other albums I was listening to at the time from Soundgarden or Smashing Pumpkins which I still love. Tool has also released all of four albums in the last 18 years. I did see them live back in '01 and it was a good show, but so far nothing I've seen has rivaled the Lights In The Sky tour. Just incredible.

I liked 10k. I saw them live, they are amazing. Like you, I used to listen to Tool, Soundgarden, and da Pumpkins when I was a teenager. Even though I still love all those bands I don't listen to them at all.

I hate you so much Dave for seeing the Lights in the Sky tour. I missed it due to personal issues.

I DID however see Trent on his LAST tour at the House of Blues in AC. If you are not familiar with this venue, its the size of a convenience store or small pool hall. Literally it fits maybe 2000 people. The tickets sold out in 5 minutes and in fact I bought them from an insider (a guy is friends with NIN's photographer and had extra tickets, he sold them to me for about 30 bucks over list which was reasonable since he had to drive to city for me to pick them up).

That show was one of the best shows I have ever been too. Trent is amazing.

Everyone has opinions and I think Tool doesn't even come close to Opeth musically. Tool is very very repetitive.

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #3,753 of 29,701

Quote:
You are comparing apples and oranges. Tool is by no means even remotely close to metal. And yes I have seen them live at a small venue and they are quite good live.

than what is metal. they are considered progressive/alternative metal.

now your probably going to say something like all metalcore isn't metal. well to answer that metalcore and most melodic death sounds the same to me. so yes metalcore is metal. same goes for nu metal and alternative metal. i may not like nu metal or 90% of metalcore but they are still metal.

thats like you guys saying system of a down isn't metal which btw is a lie.

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #3,755 of 29,701

Quote:
than what is metal. they are considered progressive/alternative metal.

now your probably going to say something like all metalcore isn't metal. well to answer that metalcore and most melodic death sounds the same to me. so yes metalcore is metal. same goes for nu metal and alternative metal. i may not like nu metal or 90% of metalcore but they are still metal.

thats like you guys saying system of a down isn't metal which btw is a lie.

So you would consider Limp Bizkit true Metal?

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #3,756 of 29,701

Quote:
So you would consider Limp Bizkit true Metal?

i don't know i haven't listened to them. but if they have distorted guitars. fast drumming and a bassist they are yes.

claiming nu metal isn't metal makes no sense if folk metal bands like korpiklaani can be metal. it sounds more like the metal heads just hate rap and don't want it associated with metal.

oh btw i hate rap. im just saying who are we to claim something is metal or not. we seem to care to much for genres.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #3,757 of 29,701
Good stuff, gonna check them out right now!

Quote:
PREPARE TO HAVE THINE **** KICKED IN

TIME TO GET DRUNK AND WORSHIP THE GOAT LORD

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #3,758 of 29,701

i don't know i haven't listened to them. but if they have distorted guitars. fast drumming and a bassist they are yes.

claiming nu metal isn't metal makes no sense if folk metal bands like korpiklaani can be metal. it sounds more like the metal heads just hate rap and don't want it associated with metal.

oh btw i hate rap. im just saying who are we to claim something is metal or not. we seem to care to much for genres.

The biggest problem here is that Tool nor Limp Bizkit (definitely not LB) consider themselves metal. They don't really do metal shows nor do they tour with metal artists. I was in the Tool fanclub back in the day and no one thought the band was metal (that's how I was able to obtain tickets for a reasonable price).

They are an alternative hard rock band. And no, a Grammy for heavy metal is like an MTV or VH1 Music Award.

Same goes with Godsmack. I know, I just saw some of their set on Wednesday and the lead singer introduced themselves as a rock'n'roll band. Not metal. Rock'n'roll.

On that note, I was at Rockstar Mayhem and here is the break down:

Suicide Silenece - OK
Machinehead - Good but the sound quality sucks
Unearth - OK though some folks really dig them
In Flames - Awesome. They really are a polished act. Say what you want but the song "Where the Dead Ships Dwell" off of the new album rocks. But yeah, they definitely trying to be more mainstream. What's funny is when they played "The Hive," the crowd vibe was just different than when they played "Deliver Us." Anyway, I'd like to see them again.

Trivium - OK.

Megadeth:

These guys are really good! Maybe as good as Limp Bizkit. I mean the guy with all the hair could really play guitar. Actually two of them! I have never seen two guys play guitar so well. Though they were a bit too hea...v...y....

So its like the 15th time I have seen Megadeth live. I didn't even buy a shirt.

First of all, they played a very varied set though they did open up with Trust again (I don't know why some sets they like to open up or close with Trust...before the obligatory encore).

It was so nice to hear Sweating Bullets again live. Its been a while.

They played a new song. They PLAYED A NEW SONG. It sounded good but not great. The guitar work was excellent but the overall rhythm between stanza's I couldn't get into for whatever reason.

Godsmack: Stayed for 3 songs. Sigh.

We left before Disturbed because frankly no one cared and it was a work night. I would have liked to see Disturbed just to say I have seen them because I know a lot of the younger cool with have a DJ in a band crowd (see Dethkliok) sites Disturbed (oh my Lord, where is Negakinu and his BME Ax when I need it) as their heavy metal gateway drug.

Hey, whatever gets people more into the Metal is fine by me.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #3,759 of 29,701
Btw any Iced Earth fans in here?

http://www.icedearth.com/home/iced-earth-mainman-reveals-cover-art-release-dates-for-dystopia

Time to dust off my CDs.

And if you don't know Iced Earth (I mean REALLY?):

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/RSArp8uG_qk[/VIDEO]

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #3,760 of 29,701

Quote:
Felt the same way about DT for the longest time, but eventually I got into em with The Dark Eternal Night followed by the full Images And Words.

Opeth and Burzum were very much acquired tastes for me too. Burzum made absolutely no sense to me for years, now I can't get enough.

Listening to Black Clouds & Silver Linings, it's really starting to click. They are almost like a heavy metal Yes

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #3,761 of 29,701

Quote:
The biggest problem here is that Tool nor Limp Bizkit (definitely not LB) consider themselves metal. They don't really do metal shows nor do they tour with metal artists. I was in the Tool fanclub back in the day and no one thought the band was metal (that's how I was able to obtain tickets for a reasonable price).

They are an alternative hard rock band. And no, a Grammy for heavy metal is like an MTV or VH1 Music Award.

Same goes with Godsmack. I know, I just saw some of their set on Wednesday and the lead singer introduced themselves as a rock'n'roll band. Not metal. Rock'n'roll.

LOL.......wether those bands like it or not, they are metal. Some musicians don't like to be considered metal for some reason, like its too limited a genre. I think its quite the opposite, prog rock, traditional european folk, electronica, jazz, opera, classical etc etc etc have all been incorporated into metal with great results. Let's face it metal is probably the biggest genre umbrella under the sun.

A friend of mine absolutely loves metal and hates alternative and avant garde, that is until I made him put on some headphones and listen to "the cuckoo clocks of hell" by Buckethead. That album is some heavy s***.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3,762 of 29,701

LOL.......wether those bands like it or not, they are metal. Some musicians don't like to be considered metal for some reason, like its too limited a genre. I think its quite the opposite, prog rock, traditional european folk, electronica, jazz, opera, classical etc etc etc have all been incorporated into metal with great results. Let's face it metal is probably the biggest genre umbrella under the sun.

A friend of mine absolutely loves metal and hates alternative and avant garde, that is until I made him put on some headphones and listen to "the cuckoo clocks of hell" by Buckethead. That album is some heavy s***.

I think in general its the fans that dictate the taxonomy since all artists *just* play music. We classify as an organization tool for discussion and to find other groups/cliches to associate with.

All I am saying is that if you were in a crowd of heavy metal fans, I seriously doubt Limp Bizkit would be an appropriate topic.

In fact, I'm so sure about it, the next heavy metal show that does not include Limp Bizkit, please in between sets, scream "I love Limp Bizkit." Wait, and see the reaction. Feel free to scream it out as much as you can so a good sample of headbangers hears you.

Please report back.

Try the same thing, but instead of "I love Limp Bizkit" scream, "Slayer!" Again, wait and see the reaction.

Please report back.

[DISCLAIMER: Screaming "I love Limp Bizkit" at a heavy metal show may cause serious injury or death. Say at your own risk.]

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #3,763 of 29,701

Quote:
I think in general its the fans that dictate the taxonomy since all artists *just* play music. We classify as an organization tool for discussion and to find other groups/cliches to associate with.

All I am saying is that if you were in a crowd of heavy metal fans, I seriously doubt Limp Bizkit would be an appropriate topic.

In fact, I'm so sure about it, the next heavy metal show that does not include Limp Bizkit, please in between sets, scream "I love Limp Bizkit." Wait, and see the reaction. Feel free to scream it out as much as you can so a good sample of headbangers hears you.

Please report back.

Try the same thing, but instead of "I love Limp Bizkit" scream, "Slayer!" Again, wait and see the reaction.

Please report back.

[DISCLAIMER: Screaming "I love Limp Bizkit" at a heavy metal show may cause serious injury or death. Say at your own risk.]

LOL! Hope that your life insurance is good too. :D

In any case, there is a fine but very clear line between metal and non-metal. I am bit tipsy at the moment (friday FTW) so forgive me if my words are not clear but anyway. Just because a band incorporates heavy distorted guitars they are not necessarily a metal band. They are not natural offsprings of any metal genre/subgenre even though they MAY have taken elements from it. Grindcore is a good example. That music is ****ing heavy, perhaps more intense than deathmetal can EVER be, but it is not metal: It is an offspring of Punk. Some bands, like Rotten Sound, do take elements from death metal and they even play at metal shows from time to time, but it is still a genre very separated from metal. A lot of Grindcore bands do not feel "at home" with Metal crowd and do not play in metal concerts.

(this last video is funny as hell! yet very intelligent if you understand the lyrics)

Again, this band is NOT metal even though it is often loved by metal crowd. Same thing with Tool, System Of A Down etc... They are not metal bands. If their music is good or not is a different story. I am not into Tool (I am not into progressive music) really but I do enjoy SOAD songs whenever I hear one.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #3,764 of 29,701

Quote:

On that note, I was at Rockstar Mayhem and here is the break down:

Suicide Silenece - OK
Machinehead - Good but the sound quality sucks
Unearth - OK though some folks really dig them
In Flames - Awesome. They really are a polished act. Say what you want but the song "Where the Dead Ships Dwell" off of the new album rocks. But yeah, they definitely trying to be more mainstream. What's funny is when they played "The Hive," the crowd vibe was just different than when they played "Deliver Us." Anyway, I'd like to see them again.

Trivium - OK.

Megadeth:

These guys are really good! Maybe as good as Limp Bizkit. I mean the guy with all the hair could really play guitar. Actually two of them! I have never seen two guys play guitar so well. Though they were a bit too hea...v...y....

So its like the 15th time I have seen Megadeth live. I didn't even buy a shirt.

First of all, they played a very varied set though they did open up with Trust again (I don't know why some sets they like to open up or close with Trust...before the obligatory encore).

It was so nice to hear Sweating Bullets again live. Its been a while.

They played a new song. They PLAYED A NEW SONG. It sounded good but not great. The guitar work was excellent but the overall rhythm between stanza's I couldn't get into for whatever reason.

Godsmack: Stayed for 3 songs. Sigh.

We left before Disturbed because frankly no one cared and it was a work night. I would have liked to see Disturbed just to say I have seen them because I know a lot of the younger cool with have a DJ in a band crowd (see Dethkliok) sites Disturbed (oh my Lord, where is Negakinu and his BME Ax when I need it) as their heavy metal gateway drug.

Hey, whatever gets people more into the Metal is fine by me.

Disturbed was my main gateway, as well as several friends. We have like a dozen running jokes about their songs now though.

Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Tool, Korn, SOAD, Linkin Park, Slipknot, and the like (including Disturbed) is just not something I can consider "True" Metal, as grim and necro as it may sound. They're all labeled "Alternative" for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back