Lets Talk Metal
Jul 28, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #3,736 of 29,701

Quote:

We generally have the same preference in music, we like the same headphones for said music, can describe how something sounds well, yet you're not a Gradotard???

I swear, every metalhead needs to hear the LCD-2 rev1. Extremely visceral and heavy sound with otherworldly mids that lend unbelievable emotion to vocals and make guitars sound just heavenly. Gobs of super tight and extremely textured bass and a perfect Metal soundstage that's in your face for the straight riffage and vast and immersive for the tr00 kvlt and such. With how much you loved the HE500, these would blow you away. I could hook you up since you're pretty close, but it would probably ruin your life since you won't actually be able to buy them.
beerchug.gif

This track is very special to me for reasons I won't get into. Not gonna lie, I cried hearing it with the LCD-2:

Does anyone here know about Vladimir Cochet? Only member of three badass bands, guy has insane talent.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #3,737 of 29,701

Quote:
Yea, I don't mind them changing ("Progressive" Metal) but I would prefer they keep the "Metal". I don't know why Mikael hates the Prog Death era Opeth so much. I have a feeling by the next album they're going to cement themselves as a Prog Rock band.

I tried super hard to get into both Opeth and Tool because I have quite a few friends who adore both. I never could get into Opeth until one day when I had some time off at school and sat down to listen to the entirety of Still Life, which had been on my iPhone for like a year. Something clicked in the middle of Moonlapse Vertigo and suddenly I was in love with Opeth.

As for Tool, I absolutely cannot get into them. I have a friend who loves all the prog stuff I do (Periphery, Opeth, Dream Theater, etc) and ranks Tool as his #1 band. He keeps tossing me track after track but I always find it boring. Maybe I'll give it one of their classic albums a shot ala Opeth.

i am the complete opposite. most opeth songs seem boring in comparison to tool songs.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #3,739 of 29,701

Quote:
I swear, every metalhead needs to hear the LCD-2 rev1. Extremely visceral and heavy sound with otherworldly mids that lend unbelievable emotion to vocals and make guitars sound just heavenly. Gobs of super tight and extremely textured bass and a perfect Metal soundstage that's in your face for the straight riffage and vast and immersive for the tr00 kvlt and such. With how much you loved the HE500, these would blow you away.

How did you find your LA7000 to perform with metal? I've been trying different cans with my HM-801 to find something that works for me while I'm away from my Stax, but so far I've been unsuccessful. The Hifiman can drive the LCD-2, but I would prefer something sealed for the isolation.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #3,740 of 29,701

Quote:
How did you find your LA7000 to perform with metal? I've been trying different cans with my HM-801 to find something that works for me while I'm away from my Stax, but so far I've been unsuccessful. The Hifiman can drive the LCD-2, but I would prefer something sealed for the isolation.

you really ought to consider customs dave, do you have any reason for not?

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #3,741 of 29,701

Quote:
you really ought to consider customs dave, do you have any reason for not?

I just don't like to have things in my ears for long periods. I know how amazing the JH customs as well as some of the others are supposed to be, but when I take my Alpine Flyfit plugs out after a long flight, my ears are sore, and the Alpines are by far the most comfortable ear plugs I've tried. Typical ones like EarPlanes become quite painful after a few hours. I know a custom is different from even a very soft universal flange style plug, but I'm just nervous that after two or three hours my ears are going to be sore, and because they're customs I'll be stuck with them.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #3,742 of 29,701

Quote:

The LA7000 is phenomenal, one of the absolute best. The bass is without a doubt the best in any headphone, even the LCD2 isn't up to that level. Everything else about it meshes extremely well with Metal as well, it was my one and only headphone for quite a while. But I've decided to go for the LCD2+ED8+T1 as they all do things I cannot be without, and the LA7000 is just too expensive to keep around atm.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #3,743 of 29,701

Quote:

I just don't like to have things in my ears for long periods. I know how amazing the JH customs as well as some of the others are supposed to be, but when I take my Alpine Flyfit plugs out after a long flight, my ears are sore, and the Alpines are by far the most comfortable ear plugs I've tried. Typical ones like EarPlanes become quite painful after a few hours. I know a custom is different from even a very soft universal flange style plug, but I'm just nervous that after two or three hours my ears are going to be sore, and because they're customs I'll be stuck with them.

Agreed. As a few of you gents know, I was minutes away from pulling the trigger on the JH16/JH3A. I wear my cans for very long periods without issue, but the three IEMs I've had all had to be removed within 3 hours at most. Even though customs will undoubtedly be a better fit, I personally don't want to risk having them right in my ear canal for 8+ hours a day.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #3,744 of 29,701

Quote:

Quote:
Agreed. As a few of you gents know, I was minutes away from pulling the trigger on the JH16/JH3A. I wear my cans for very long periods without issue, but the three IEMs I've had all had to be removed within 3 hours at most. Even though customs will undoubtedly be a better fit, I personally don't want to risk having them right in my ear canal for 8+ hours a day.

after having customs, i cant even imagine wearing unviersals again, you can tell they are there from the beginning. and they start to hurt after like 30 minutes. with customs, i wear them for 10 hours plus, and never even notice they're in my ears, its a completely different experience

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #3,745 of 29,701

Quote:

after having customs, i cant even imagine wearing unviersals again, you can tell they are there from the beginning. and they start to hurt after like 30 minutes. with customs, i wear them for 10 hours plus, and never even notice they're in my ears, its a completely different experience

why don't i use iems? well to answer that is because i don't have confidence in putting a driver so close to my ear drum. you guys can say all you want that it is safer then full size but i don't buy it.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #3,746 of 29,701

Quote:
why don't i use iems? well to answer that is because i don't have confidence in putting a driver so close to my ear drum. you guys can say all you want that it is safer then full size but i don't buy it.

Pretty much this. I have no issue wearing most cans all day, but I know I'd get uneasy within a few hours with something directly in my ear.

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #3,748 of 29,701

Quote:
The LA7000 is phenomenal, one of the absolute best. The bass is without a doubt the best in any headphone, even the LCD2 isn't up to that level. Everything else about it meshes extremely well with Metal as well, it was my one and only headphone for quite a while. But I've decided to go for the LCD2+ED8+T1 as they all do things I cannot be without, and the LA7000 is just too expensive to keep around atm.

Good to know. I tried the D2000 which I didn't particularly like, but obviously the LA7000 is a completely different animal. I was hoping to avoid spending $1K+ on my secondary headphone, but I may be out of luck there. How would you compare the LA7000 to the ED8?

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #3,750 of 29,701

Quote:
Good to know. I tried the D2000 which I didn't particularly like, but obviously the LA7000 is a completely different animal. I was hoping to avoid spending $1K+ on my secondary headphone, but I may be out of luck there. How would you compare the LA7000 to the ED8?

Yea, not comparable. I got my start with the D2000 and still have it, but I can never go back to it.

I'll PM you so I don't flood the thread.

Quote:
Alghazanth, are you driving the LCD-2 (congrats on the purchase btw!) with your Fiio E9? How's that working out for ya?

Listening to "With a Thorn in our Hearts" now. :)

Thanks mate. This is my second pair, I sold the first in anticipation of the rev2, but it turns out the rev1 is the one for me after all!

Na, I use the HDP for all of my cans. I compared it to the most expensive setups at my friend's place, and the HDP is an absolute monster for the price that compared well to all but his very best ($3k+) rigs. The E9 is also great for the price, but I haven't touched it or the E7 since getting the HDP.

Very nice! You should check out Wreath of Thevetat, their best work and the best symphonic BM album ever. Among my top 5 albums of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back