Lets Talk Metal
Jul 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3,766 of 29,701

Quote:

LOL.......wether those bands like it or not, they are metal. Some musicians don't like to be considered metal for some reason, like its too limited a genre. I think its quite the opposite, prog rock, traditional european folk, electronica, jazz, opera, classical etc etc etc have all been incorporated into metal with great results. Let's face it metal is probably the biggest genre umbrella under the sun.

A friend of mine absolutely loves metal and hates alternative and avant garde, that is until I made him put on some headphones and listen to "the cuckoo clocks of hell" by Buckethead. That album is some heavy s***.

Huh?

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #3,767 of 29,701

Quote:

LOL! Hope that your life insurance is good too. :D

In any case, there is a fine but very clear line between metal and non-metal. I am bit tipsy at the moment (friday FTW) so forgive me if my words are not clear but anyway. Just because a band incorporates heavy distorted guitars they are not necessarily a metal band. They are not natural offsprings of any metal genre/subgenre even though they MAY have taken elements from it. Grindcore is a good example. That music is ****ing heavy, perhaps more intense than deathmetal can EVER be, but it is not metal: It is an offspring of Punk. Some bands, like Rotten Sound, do take elements from death metal and they even play at metal shows from time to time, but it is still a genre very separated from metal. A lot of Grindcore bands do not feel "at home" with Metal crowd and do not play in metal concerts.

It's an offshoot of Punk, but I'd still consider Grindcore Metal, the same way Metalcore and Deathcore are both Metal.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3,768 of 29,701

Disturbed was my main gateway, as well as several friends. We have like a dozen running jokes about their songs now though.

Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Tool, Korn, SOAD, Linkin Park, Slipknot, and the like (including Disturbed) is just not something I can consider "True" Metal, as grim and necro as it may sound. They're all labeled "Alternative" for a reason.

Disturbed would be a good metal band if they would write more than one or two songs.

I still believe Korn was metal for a while before they went totally bonkers.

All the rest are not even remotely metal and I have seen Tool, Korn, SOAD, Link Park, and now Godsmack live.

Btw, SOAD puts on a fantastic show. Saw them with the Mars Volta many years ago.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #3,769 of 29,701
New Devin Townsend Project HEADLINGING tour:

http://www.hevydevy.com/

@DaveBSC: You gonna be around for the Philly show?

For all those who don't know about Devin Townsend, InsideOut Music is giving away a compilation download here:

http://www.insideoutmusic.com/specials/DevinTownsendProject/

Check IT out!

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #3,770 of 29,701

Quote:
Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Tool, Korn, SOAD, Linkin Park, Slipknot, and the like (including Disturbed) is just not something I can consider "True" Metal, as grim and necro as it may sound. They're all labeled "Alternative" for a reason.

holy cow...please dont ever list Tool in the same sentence as the rest of that **** again...

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3,772 of 29,701
These guys come off as another Dark Tranquility, but it's still eyeball gougingly good

Yes, from time to time I like cheesy power metal, but then when it's time for pagan worship rituals I go back to melodeth

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #3,773 of 29,701

Quote:
These guys come off as another Dark Tranquility, but it's still eyeball gougingly good

Russia's own Children of Bodom. Luckily, it sounds like they are playing stuff similar to CoB's older works. I actually dig it! Haha

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3,774 of 29,701

Quote:
holy cow...please dont ever list Tool in the same sentence as the rest of that **** again...

thank you very much. tool is way better quality then those bands. but i do enjoy soad.

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #3,776 of 29,701

Yes, from time to time I like cheesy power metal, but then when it's time for pagan worship rituals I go back to melodeth

Okay, Chris, where did you find Solerrain? They are solid. English version of the CD is apparently available as a Japanese import.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #3,777 of 29,701

Quote:
Yea, pretty much. My biggest obstacle getting into DT was the vocals.

I always thought of Dream Theater to be like a Fates Warning rip off even DT's singer tries to sound like FW's singer.
But older FW is lot more traditional sounding metal kinda like a New Wave British Metal band but with a touch of prog and then they really turned into a prog band.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #3,778 of 29,701

Quote:
Yea, pretty much. My biggest obstacle getting into DT was the vocals.

liking them now, the vocals still aren't appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back