Lets Talk Metal
Jul 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #3,721 of 29,687

Quote:
Yea, I don't mind them changing ("Progressive" Metal) but I would prefer they keep the "Metal". I don't know why Mikael hates the Prog Death era Opeth so much. I have a feeling by the next album they're going to cement themselves as a Prog Rock band.

I tried super hard to get into both Opeth and Tool because I have quite a few friends who adore both. I never could get into Opeth until one day when I had some time off at school and sat down to listen to the entirety of Still Life, which had been on my iPhone for like a year. Something clicked in the middle of Moonlapse Vertigo and suddenly I was in love with Opeth.

As for Tool, I absolutely cannot get into them. I have a friend who loves all the prog stuff I do (Periphery, Opeth, Dream Theater, etc) and ranks Tool as his #1 band. He keeps tossing me track after track but I always find it boring. Maybe I'll give it one of their classic albums a shot ala Opeth.

I feel the same way with Tool. There are many bands you WANT to like, but just can't. Dream Theater is another one. Sheeeeit that should be a topic on it's own, bands you want to like but can't.

As far as Opeth losing their heaviness goes, feelsbadman.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #3,722 of 29,687

Quote:

I feel the same way with Tool. There are many bands you WANT to like, but just can't. Dream Theater is another one. Sheeeeit that should be a topic on it's own, bands you want to like but can't.

i used to hate tool a ton as well. but then around 4 years ago, i really got into 10,000 days. it was my gateway tool album, now its my second to least favorite. Aenima is definitely their best album, and its brilliant.

saw them live last summer, and it was probably the best show ive ever been to

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #3,724 of 29,687

Quote:
I prefer Undertow, it is much darker IMO.

undertow's actually my least favorite...

but anyways, some good news came out today about my most anticipated release left for the year. 

Cormorant's new record "Dwellings"

http://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews/2011/07/27/cormorant-to-release-new-album-%E2%80%9Cdwellings-this-autumn/

and heres a track off metazoa for anyone out of the loop

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #3,725 of 29,687
i know i will get hate for this but i actually prefer Tool to Opeth. since they are both considered progressive i find tool is just overall a much better band.

i love Opeth but i still can't get into it as much as Tool.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Tool is by no means even remotely close to metal. And yes I have seen them live at a small venue and they are quite good live.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #3,727 of 29,687

Quote:

I think I "like" Dream Theatre even though I really don't.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,728 of 29,687
Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are hard for me to get into, I have given up trying to like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree. Hate em.

Opeth is an learned taste I feel. Burzum is another sound which takes time to understand. Some bands are great sounding right away. Others take tenacity.

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #3,729 of 29,687

Quote:
i used to hate tool a ton as well. but then around 4 years ago, i really got into 10,000 days. it was my gateway tool album, now its my second to least favorite. Aenima is definitely their best album, and its brilliant.

saw them live last summer, and it was probably the best show ive ever been to

10,000 days I just flat out did not like. I used to listen to Tool as a teenager and I still have the older albums, but i rarely if ever listen to them. I just think they are boring now, not like other albums I was listening to at the time from Soundgarden or Smashing Pumpkins which I still love. Tool has also released all of four albums in the last 18 years. I did see them live back in '01 and it was a good show, but so far nothing I've seen has rivaled the Lights In The Sky tour. Just incredible.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3,730 of 29,687

Quote:
Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are hard for me to get into, I have given up trying to like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree. Hate em.

Opeth is an learned taste I feel. Burzum is another sound which takes time to understand. Some bands are great sounding right away. Others take tenacity.

Felt the same way about DT for the longest time, but eventually I got into em with The Dark Eternal Night followed by the full Images And Words.

Opeth and Burzum were very much acquired tastes for me too. Burzum made absolutely no sense to me for years, now I can't get enough.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3,731 of 29,687
PREPARE TO HAVE THINE **** KICKED IN

TIME TO GET DRUNK AND WORSHIP THE GOAT LORD

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #3,732 of 29,687

Quote:

This. Freaking "Jane Doe", took months of coming back to it to finally appreciate it and finally fall in love with it

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #3,734 of 29,687

Quote:
*Points to avatar*

You have no idea how special Persefone is to me, especially Shin-Ken.

We generally have the same preference in music, we like the same headphones for said music, can describe how something sounds well, yet you're not a Gradotard???

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #3,735 of 29,687

Quote:
This. Freaking "Jane Doe", took months of coming back to it to finally appreciate it and finally fall in love with it

I guess your talking about Converge? They are rough around the edges. I'm sure they drive some people nuts in a bad way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back