Lets Talk Metal
Dec 1, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #25,246 of 29,645

I looked the band up and it's listed as power/melodic death metal. I think you're better off ignoring viking/pagan descriptions, because they don't really tell you what genre it is.

Ok fair enough,and granted Ive heard just that one track thus far,but to my ears thats nothing like Parasite Inc or At the Gates!Am I wrong?...So im damned either way.

that song had the perfect blend of death growls,melody,razor sharp riffs,etc....now if only there was a term to find more like that I'd be set.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #25,247 of 29,645
  Ok fair enough,and granted Ive heard just that one track thus far,but to my ears thats nothing like Parasite Inc or At the Gates!Am I wrong?...So im damned either way.

that song had the perfect blend of death growls,melody,razor sharp riffs,etc....now if only there was a term to find more like that I'd be set.

You reply too fast. I edited my post. Check it again. :wink:

The term to search for is the genre I mentioned: melodic death/power metal.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #25,248 of 29,645
  I read an article about NWOBHM and they listed Motorhead as a "founding father",then referenced Def Leppard.

Sorry,,but just because bands are from Britain doesnt make them the same.

And I consider neither band part of NWOBHM.

lol, I'm not a fan of both. I agree with you that I don't get why people consider them NWOBHM.

my favourite NWOBHM is maiden and Judas Priest (I prefer Judas Priest still, although I'm not a fan of their costum).

if you like clan vocals, maybe you should try progressive metal.
everyone seems to like Dream Theater

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #25,249 of 29,645

I looked the band up and it's listed as power/melodic death metal. I think you're better off ignoring viking/pagan descriptions, because they don't tell you what genre it is.

A really great melodic death/power metal band is Children Of Bodom. This album is a must-hear.

To be fair,the music on that track absolutely rips,no doubt,but now were back talking about an entire song where the singer sounds like hes on a bad acid trip,whereas the song I posted earlier was a blend of growls and harmonies,which I much prefer,though I liked the music of Children of Bodom more.
  lol, I'm not a fan of both. I agree with you that I don't get why people consider them NWOBHM.

my favourite NWOBHM is maiden and Judas Priest (I prefer Judas Priest still, although I'm not a fan of their costum).

if you like clan vocals, maybe you should try progressive metal.
everyone seems to like Dream Theater

Thanks,Ive tried...I like Opeth,Dream theater I havent heard too much of,but it wasnt aggressive enough from what little Ive heard.

Priest is my 2nd fav metal band ever BTW.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #25,250 of 29,645
  To be fair,the music on that track absolutely rips,no doubt,but now were back talking about an entire song where the singer sounds like hes on a bad acid trip,whereas the song I posted earlier was a blend of growls and harmonies,which I much prefer,though I liked the music of Children of Bodom more.

In case you didn't realize, that's a playlist with the full album. (But yeah, the vocals are pretty wild.)

So I guess an ideal band for you could be melodic death/power metal music but with sung gothic metal vocals. Heh.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #25,251 of 29,645

In case you didn't realize, that's a playlist with the full album. (But yeah, the vocals are pretty wild.)

So I guess an ideal band for you could be melodic death/power metal music but with sung gothic metal vocals. Heh.

Oh...didnt realize that,just heard the first track....

OK...Unleash the Archers is seriously badass!!!!

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #25,252 of 29,645

I dunno,never really liked Gothy stuff,is that what you consider Unleash The Archers to be? Every track I heard by them I liked.

I also found this band,which yall prolly know very well,but new to me.I like this too....a bit too much growls for me,but its mixed with melodies so Im digging this too.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #25,254 of 29,645

But you liked the female vocals of Tristania, right? They're gothic metal.

There's more extreme gothic metal as well, such as Cradle Of Filth and Moonspell.

Yes i liked Tristania and Moonspell as well.....Cradle of filth,not so much......

When I think Gothy,I think Bauhaus,Peter Murphy,Sisters of Mercy...I dont hear a connection between that and Moonspell for example

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #25,255 of 29,645
  Yes i liked Tristania and Moonspell as well.....Cradle of filth,not so much......

When I think Gothy,I think Bauhaus,Peter Murphy,Sisters of Mercy...I dont hear a connection between that and Moonspell for example

Those are basically gothic rock bands. Moonspell is gothic metal.

Hey man...this is us. XD

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #25,256 of 29,645
So for giggles I tried a few goth metal playlists...ummm...no.I did see some Tristania in there but the others was not to my liking.

Also for giggles I tried "Melodic Death-clean Vocals" and actually got something!

EDIT:Nevermind...apparently "clean"vocals in melodic death means "Angrier than Phil Anselmo" vocals

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #25,257 of 29,645

I actually like early Def Leppard,but like you said they went SO the opposite way quickly.

And for the record The Sweet was awesome!

Yeah-before they went really pop, High and Dry was one of my favorite albums from that era.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #25,258 of 29,645
  So for giggles I tried a few goth metal playlists...ummm...no.I did see some Tristania in there but the others was not to my liking.

Also for giggles I tried "Melodic Death-clean Vocals" and actually got something!

EDIT:Nevermind...apparently "clean"vocals in melodic death means "Angrier than Phil Anselmo" vocals

Have you tried Lacuna coil? They're more pop oriented, but pretty "user friendly". I think you said you didn't like symphonic metal. I kind of dig some of Epica's stuff. There's also Therion-they have a double album Lemuria/Sirius B that I like. But, that is symphonic oriented metal.

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #25,259 of 29,645
if you like opeth, you might wanna try Ne Obliviscaris, excellent band from the country I'm in LOL!
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=3932

if you are still craving for clean vocals on a metal band, maybe you can try Evergrey, one of the best clean vocals in metal IMO.

try this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back