Lets Talk Metal
Nov 30, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #25,216 of 29,663
  I wonder if I'm alone in genuinely loving inhuman gutturals/growls around here. I seem to fall kinda outside standard "audiophile" music overall...

Oh I do think they are perfect for some music. Dark, heavy, atmospheric black metal needs them for sure. I really like how old Opeth and Agilloch handles their growls - works really well.

Nah bro, I :heartpulse: crazy vocals. Remember those BM vocals of mine I shared? The experimental extreme metal project I'm working on will have the most bizarre vocals I can make. Think 100 times weirder. (No idea when I'll be able to record it, though...)

Nah man, you're fine! ^_^

most of my music is death metal and they are all growling and screaming, etc. and I love it, lol
Emotional outburst

Im not knocking any of you guys for liking "Cookie Monster" vocals...to each their own....

For me,I worship Freddie Mercury,Ian Gillan,Rob Halford...and Carl Anderson and Ted Neely for their performances in JCS....However I can appreciate other things taken within context.

For example...I absolutely hate rap music,but think Dr.Dre The Chronic is one of the best albums of any genre made in the past thirty years...so my mind is pretty wide open when it comes to music.

For death growls as I have said many times I can tolerate them when used sparingly,or in a case like Alchemist suggested when it is incorporated into a more traditional metal sound.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #25,217 of 29,663
  Im not knocking any of you guys for liking "Cookie Monster" vocals...to each their own....

For me,I worship Freddie Mercury,Ian Gillan,Rob Halford...and Carl Anderson and Ted Neely for their performances in JCS....However I can appreciate other things taken within context.

For example...I absolutely hate rap music,but think Dr.Dre The Chronic is one of the best albums of any genre made in the past thirty years...so my mind is pretty wide open when it comes to music.

For death growls as I have said many times I can tolerate them when used sparingly,or in a case like Alchemist suggested when it is incorporated into a more traditional metal sound.

I listened to about an hour of rap today.
cool.gif
(I like nearly all types of music...except country and a few other things.)

Since The Haunted was recommended to you, also check out Nightrage's first two albums. Tomas Lindberg (At The Gates' vocalist) did vocals on them. I like Nightrage more than either of those bands.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nightrage/4431

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #25,218 of 29,663
  Oh I do think they are perfect for some music. Dark, heavy, atmospheric black metal needs them for sure. I really like how old Opeth and Agilloch handles their growls - works really well.

Yeah but look at your examples haha. Proggy death and post-black.

THESE are my jams:

Y'know? Filthy stuff that doesn't have all that sheen and "artsy" angle to it. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #25,219 of 29,663
  THESE are my jams:

And I'm all about the sheen and artsy bands.
Cosmic balance restored.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #25,220 of 29,663
  And I'm all about the sheen and artsy bands.
Cosmic balance restored.

Oh believe me, I ain't insulting them bands, either. Post is one of my favorite subgenres. I've spun New Bermuda and Moonlover more times than can possibly be healthy. Bossk's new one has also gotten a ton of spin time from me.

I just feel like, around here and other audio forums (coughSBAFcough) music that seems "dumb" doesn't get a lot of love. Like the idea of using a $1000 rig to listen to dirty death/black metal is somehow verboten. Same with trap rap. Everyone's all about Tribe's newest and I'm over here geeked up about Woptober. 

Just weird is all. Like I'm the only idiot listening to stupid people music with smart people equipment. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #25,221 of 29,663

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nightrage/4431

I like this....

So am I correct that very few,if any band exists that sounds like this with less angry vocals?

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #25,222 of 29,663
  Yeah but look at your examples haha. Proggy death and post-black.

THESE are my jams:

Hell yeah. I just blasted through all of these.

(I must say, though, when it comes to music as extreme as this, I prefer stuff that's even more violent, hateful 'n' such. Most of this was pretty casual and even goofy at times, in the context.)

Dunno if you're familiar with Hate Forest, but they're black metal with similarly deep, monstrous vocals.

I like this....

So am I correct that very few,if any band exists that sounds like this with less angry vocals?

Incorrect. When it comes to metal, if you can imagine it, it probably exists.

...Wow. The sound quality of that YouTube link is so bad...

You should look into more power metal if you want aggressive music with clean vocals.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #25,223 of 29,663
  Oh believe me, I ain't insulting them bands, either. Post is one of my favorite subgenres. I've spun New Bermuda and Moonlover more times than can possibly be healthy. Bossk's new one has also gotten a ton of spin time from me.

I just feel like, around here and other audio forums (coughSBAFcough) music that seems "dumb" doesn't get a lot of love. Like the idea of using a $1000 rig to listen to dirty death/black metal is somehow verboten. Same with trap rap. Everyone's all about Tribe's newest and I'm over here geeked up about Woptober. 

Just weird is all. Like I'm the only idiot listening to stupid people music with smart people equipment. 
etysmile.gif

Oh I always get strange looks at conventions when I try gear with Metal.
Pretty silly. Their loss if they feel like alienating everyone who does not listen to Hotel California and Jazz at the Pawn Shop 24/7.

Dunno if you're familiar with Hate Forest, but they're black metal with similarly deep, monstrous vocals.

@SomeGuyDude
NSBM band. Don't give them your money. Pirate their music if you really feel like you have to own it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #25,224 of 29,663

Pretty silly. Their loss if they feel like alienating everyone who does not listen to Hotel California and Jazz at the Pawn Shop 24/7.

@SomeGuyDude

NSBM band. Don't give them your money. Pirate their music if you really feel like you have to own it.

Nsbm?

Cosmetic, artsy, grungy, whatever. If I like it I like it. I do gravitate to the artsy though. I was listening to Emperor In The Night side Eclipse last night with my Jot and 650. Geez, the gear showed so much information and complexity I would have totally missed out with cheaper gear, even though the recording quality is what it is.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #25,225 of 29,663
Nov 30, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #25,227 of 29,663
Nsbm?

Cosmetic, artsy, grungy, whatever. If I like it I like it. I do gravitate to the artsy though. I was listening to Emperor In The Night side Eclipse last night with my Jot and 650. Geez, the gear showed so much information and complexity I would have totally missed out with cheaper gear, even though the recording quality is what it is.

I haven't seen any actual evidence that Hate Forest is an NSBM band. For what it's worth, both members are also in Drudkh, a band that has firmly stated they have no political ideology.

I'd like to try the Jotunheim, especially with the Abyss sooner or later. I saw your post about getting better dynamics from it than the Magni 2 Uber. (If I remember correctly.) I also know of people who prefer the Jotunheim over the Ragnarok, which is pretty impressive considering how much cheaper it is.

...When I was a teenager I would sometimes go to sleep while playing In The Nightside Eclipse on speakers. haha

You Sir are a Phukkin Genius! This is perfect for me!

I love power metal, but I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to that genre.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #25,228 of 29,663

Never heard of that band before and when you said "power metal" i thought "Manowar".......

But I love that tune,even if the vocalist sounds like a better version of James Hetfield.....

Theres another 160 songs on that playlist I need to plough(aka skim)thru,but I gotta go dinner now.

Folk/Pagan/Black metal,some MeloDeath and apparently Power Metal is what i like.

Appreciate the help!

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #25,229 of 29,663

I haven't seen any actual evidence that Hate Forest is an NSBM band. For what it's worth, both members are also in Drudkh, a band that has firmly stated they have no political ideology.

I'd like to try the Jotunheim, especially with the Abyss sooner or later. I saw your post about getting better dynamics from it than the Magni 2 Uber. (If I remember correctly.) I also know of people who prefer the Jotunheim over the Ragnarok, which is pretty impressive considering how much cheaper it is.

...When I was a teenager I would sometimes go to sleep while playing In The Nightside Eclipse on speakers. haha

I mean what is nsdm?

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #25,230 of 29,663

@SomeGuyDude

I try not to worry too much about politics in my metal. I've enjoyed music made by awful people and it's rough to think about where it came from XD

Hell yeah. I just blasted through all of these.

(I must say, though, when it comes to music as extreme as this, I prefer stuff that's even more violent, hateful 'n' such. Most of this was pretty casual and even goofy at times, in the context.)

LMAO I actually have heard of this band! Mostly because of Drudkh. Speaking of metal that makes you feel guilty...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back