Lets Talk Metal
Dec 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #25,276 of 29,662

I like most metal, but I honestly didn't like those songs at all. (When metal first came out, "classic" stuff like this probably sounded groundbreaking and exciting to people at the time...but to me, it just sounds like basic boring generic riffs that any teenage garage band would play.) So I guess I couldn't help ya much in that quest aside from telling you to search for modern classic heavy metal bands or similar keywords.

ahaha. I'm glad the thread has become so much more active though. I remember when it would go silent for days.

Okay fair enough....I see my presence here is not appreciated by some and my tastes are "generic"

So I will see myself out...thanks for trying to help

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #25,277 of 29,662

Okay fair enough....I see my presence here is not appreciated by some and my tastes are "generic"

chill dude, relax and enjoy the community. you might learn something about your tastes.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #25,278 of 29,662

lol,prolly not...im still having coffee

Meant to say "sectarian" in Im 51,cut me some slack...

I'd say "insular" might work better, but then I'm a total wordnerd with an English degree. 
etysmile.gif

I think the point was that it can be a little overwhelming to post a whole bunch asking for suggestions, y'know? Actually... that gives me an idea!!

HOW DO Y'ALL FIND NEW MUSIC?

Personally, I use a couple avenues:

1) Spotify's Discovery tab. Nearly unbeatable. If you use Spotify it's perfect. Better than any other streaming services. Within a week or so it had me perfect.

2) Last.FM for specific band similarities. This is what you'd probably want if you listen to obscure bands.

3) Sputnik and RateYourMusic I use for when I'm in the mood for a given genre, just to check out what's been getting good reviews lately.

4) ToiletOvHell's "This Toilet Tuesday" is, IMO, the resource for new releases. 40-50 of them every Tuesday, complete with breakdown of subgenre and where to listen to it. 

I'd be willing to bet that, if you keep an eye on those spots, you'll pretty much never need to ask about music ever again!

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #25,279 of 29,662
  Yes, activity is good and helpful.

What do you guys feel are the best BM releases in 2016? Curious what I've missed.

As a BM freak, I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't kept up with new music much at all.

However, Antaeus (one of my top three BM bands) came out with their first new album in a decade. If you haven't heard their prior releases, I would highly recommend listening to them in order. I'll share all four albums below, as well as related bands Aosoth and VI.

Blood Libels by Antaeus
Condemnation by Antaeus
Wrath Of The Evangelikum by Antaeus Aosoth
Ashes of Angels by Aosoth
III: Violence & Variations by Aosoth
IV: Arrow in Heart by Aosoth
De Praestigiis Daemonum by VI
De Praestigiis Angelorum by VI

(For streams that don't start on the first track, just click back to the first to listen from the beginning.)

I did hear the new Deathspell Omega...but it wasn't any different from their established style that I've heard with all their other albums, so I wasn't crazy about it.

Relax, man. Anyone is free to like or dislike whatever they want. When I dislike certain music, that doesn't mean I dislike you. In fact, I have no problem with you at all.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #25,280 of 29,662

Personally, I use a couple avenues:

1) Spotify's Discovery tab. Nearly unbeatable. If you use Spotify it's perfect. Better than any other streaming services. Within a week or so it had me perfect.

2) Last.FM for specific band similarities. This is what you'd probably want if you listen to obscure bands.

3) Sputnik and RateYourMusic I use for when I'm in the mood for a given genre, just to check out what's been getting good reviews lately.

4) ToiletOvHell's "This Toilet Tuesday" is, IMO, the resource for new releases. 40-50 of them every Tuesday, complete with breakdown of subgenre and where to listen to it. 

I'd be willing to bet that, if you keep an eye on those spots, you'll pretty much never need to ask about music ever again!

By reading countless metal blogs on a daily basis, many of which one can access with ease through the Friends column at metalbandcamp.com. Stereogum's The Black Market (released at the end of each month) is essential with a team of writers I have utmost respect for. November edition was issued yesterday and includes, as always, an excellent thought-provoking intro essay followed by choice cuts: http://www.stereogum.com/1913245/the-black-market-the-month-in-metal-november-2016/franchises/the-black-market/ 

Invisible Oranges' Upcoming Releases (every Monday) is a tad more limited quantity-wise than This Toilet Tuesday but includes great editorial commentary and some pretty adventurous stuff to boot.

Bandcamp is obviously indispensable. Follow people with collections that match your interests and enjoy the gems appearing in your feed every time those people buy something. Beats the heck out of cold algorithms. While you are at it, join #metalbandcampgiftclub.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #25,281 of 29,662

Im chill,and relaxed I just realize that clearly what im looking for doesnt exist.I have tried some of the methods SomeGuyDude recommended in the past,and when I ask for bands like Accept or Priest I get "Poison" or "Motley Crue" as suggested bands....it seems to be an effort in futility.

It would be akin to going into a Punk thread and asking for new stuff that sounds like Discharge,GBH,Ramones,Anti-Nowhere League...and having the members of that thread call your tastes "generic","bland","not-punk" and instead go nuts over Green Day and Blink 182.

Or asking for Johnny Cash-ish recommendations in a country thread and getting The Dixie Chicks in response.

As I said previously I appreciate the efforts to try and help,though i found Bavinck's comment un-called for.

Apparently metal as I know it will die when Halford,Biff Byford and others pass away....which saddens me.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #25,282 of 29,662
  Im chill,and relaxed I just realize that clearly what im looking for doesnt exist.I have tried some of the methods SomeGuyDude recommended in the past,and when I ask for bands like Accept or Priest I get "Poison" or "Motley Crue" as suggested bands....it seems to be an effort in futility.

It would be akin to going into a Punk thread and asking for new stuff that sounds like Discharge,GBH,Ramones,Anti-Nowhere League...and having the members of that thread call your tastes "generic","bland","not-punk" and instead go nuts over Green Day and Blink 182.

Or asking for Johnny Cash-ish recommendations in a country thread and getting The Dixie Chicks in response.

As I said previously I appreciate the efforts to try and help,though i found Bavinck's comment un-called for.

Apparently metal as I know it will die when Halford,Biff Byford and others pass away....which saddens me.

In the interest of science, I took a few seconds to test your claim.

http://www.last.fm/music/Accept/+similar

1. UDO
  2. Saxon
  3. Manowar
  4. Gravedigger
  5. Gamma Ray
  6. Helloween
  7. Primal Fear

Not seeing Poison or Crue, but fair enough, most of those are a little older. Let's check out RYM...

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/accept

Admittedly I don't know most of those, and I think a lot of them are older, so let's see... "heavy metal"...

http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Heavy+Metal/

Might as well check some top albums, but let's limit our search to the 2010s...

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2010s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=Heavy+Metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Whoa...

Don't ******** me, dude, did you actually try anything I suggested?

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #25,283 of 29,662

That would be true, though, cuz punk is generic and bland....
wink_face.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #25,284 of 29,662

In the interest of science, I took a few seconds to test your claim.

http://www.last.fm/music/Accept/+similar

1. UDO
  2. Saxon
  3. Manowar
  4. Gravedigger
  5. Gamma Ray
  6. Helloween
  7. Primal Fear

Not seeing Poison or Crue, but fair enough, most of those are a little older. Let's check out RYM...

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/accept

Admittedly I don't know most of those, and I think a lot of them are older, so let's see... "heavy metal"...

http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Heavy+Metal/

Might as well check some top albums, but let's limit our search to the 2010s...

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2010s&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=Heavy+Metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Whoa...

Don't ******** me, dude, did you actually try anything I suggested?

I actually have tried in the past,but not within the past 45 minutes,no.

I will try again.

thanks.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #25,286 of 29,662
  What do you guys feel are the best BM releases in 2016? Curious what I've missed.

Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones
Alcest - Kodama
Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
Saor - Guardians
Maladie - Symptoms
Earth And Pillars - Pillars I
Downfall of Gaia - Atrophy
Fyrnask - Forn
Anagnorisis - Peripeteia
Waldgeflüster - Ruinen
Mare Cognitum - Luminiferous Aether
I think I'm missing one or two.

Bandcamp, blogs

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #25,287 of 29,662
  That would be true, though, cuz punk is generic and bland....
wink_face.gif

gwahaha! I remember back in high school I was in a little war with this guy in orchestra class. He would always talk about how punk is better because it's faster than metal in terms of the melodies and chords, even if the drums in metal can be faster...and I would just be like, "Uh...okay..."

I do like some punk-related things, like hardcore punk, crossover thrash, metalcore, grindcore and the like. And lots of black metal riffs are obviously inspired by punk, death, thrash, etc.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #25,288 of 29,662

gwahaha! I remember back in high school I was in a little war with this guy in orchestra class. He would always talk about how punk is better because it's faster than metal in terms of the melodies and chords, even if the drums in metal can be faster...and I would just be like, "Uh...okay..."

I do like some punk-related things, like hardcore punk, crossover thrash, and metalcore. And lots of black metal riffs are obviously inspired by punk, death, thrash, etc.

Ya, I get that. One thing I don't think anyone disagrees with is that punk is about attitude and politics (lyrics), whereas metal is more about song writing and musicianship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back