Lets Talk Metal
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #25,261 of 29,663
  Yeah-before they went really pop, High and Dry was one of my favorite albums from that era.

I've been waiting for them to do some sort of deluxe reissue of their remastered first 2 albums with bonus stuff, but don't know if it'll ever happen. I found a dl of Japanese versions that seem to sound a little better at least. While I was embarrassed to admit it during my teens and 20s, I have come back around to fully embracing Pyromania (which did come out in a deluxe double set with a great live disc). I don't like the crap that it inspired, but I still love that album. And yeah, I'm a fan of Sweet, especially their hard rock albums from '74 to '77.

I've been chuckling at how monsterzero clearly laid out what he was looking for, and some of you are leading him in completely opposite directions (try some lush, super-produced goth/prog/blackgaze!). He's being a good sport about it! Maybe I should start talking up my love for Finnish avant forest folk! :wink:

On another note, question for technical thrash/speed/death fans, did anyone get that 3 disc blu ray of Coroner - Autopsy: The Years 1985 - 2014 In Pictures? It's Region 2 only, but it has a documentary of the band, and I'm wondering if it's worth the $45+ (the cheaper version is actually completely different, it's a horror movie called Autopsy, ha ha).

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #25,262 of 29,663

Ok fair enough,and granted Ive heard just that one track thus far,but to my ears thats nothing like Parasite Inc or At the Gates!Am I wrong?...So im damned either way.

that song had the perfect blend of death growls,melody,razor sharp riffs,etc....now if only there was a term to find more like that I'd be set.

I have not read all the posts, but maybe you would like this

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #25,263 of 29,663
Holy crap I just found this thread.  I thought I was one of the few metal heads on head-fi, happy to be here.  I typically reside on bandcamp and other music sites.  I download thousands of metal albums every year and listen to even more.  My favorite genres are:

Avant Garde
Black
Atmospheric Black
Folk Black
Cascadian Black
Depressive Black
Shoegaze Black
Death
Melodic Death
Blackened Death
Blackened Doom
Sludge
Doom
Stoner
Shoegaze
Grindcore

I can tolerate:
The less gimmicky power metal with less annoying vocals

I despise:
Glam
Hair

It's hard to believe I've been a metalhead for over nearly 20 years now. = / When I was in high school, melodic death and groove were making their waves, bands like Lamb of God, Atreyu, Killswitch and Shadows fall were everywhere.  In fact the most memorable show of my life was @ Waverly Sanitarium (a former tuberculosis kill zone (where people went do die) and formerly insane asylum I believe).  it was an all day show and everyone from Lamb of God to Behemoth played, it was f'ing sick.  There is a video on youtube, if you type in "wall of death waverly" you can see a what is IMO the most insane wall of death LOG ever made(they were headlining the entire event BTW).  It was like 1/4 mile long from front to back, I saw people get KO'd by elbows and accidental headbutts but as usual everyone helped out the people who fell down/got hurt. 

As far as audio setup's: I currently use  the Chord Mojo, S7 Edge as source & ADEL A12 CIEM's w/MAM module(also have B1, S1 and G1).  I use UAPP on my S7 Edge and JRIVER MC 21 on my Macbook Pro.  I recently demo'd the ALO CDM and was literally blown away. I used it in Amp mode and it sounded: spacious, alive, dynamic, warm while being detailed, excellent bass decay, superb sparkle, in fact I reviewed it as well in the review section.

I also enjoy good craft beer, Colorado baked goods, pomades and beard products, hiking, hunting, fishing, shooting, jiu jitsu and other manly pursuits.  I am also a gym rat but am currently sidelined with a tendon that just won't heal-so more metal!

Happy to be here!!!!!!

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #25,264 of 29,663
Tons of words

LMAO dude are you me? Almost everything on here matches me, down to the gym and injury issues. Only difference is I'm a little older so I got into metal through nu-metal like Korn and Slipknot. 

Welcome!!

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #25,265 of 29,663

LMAO dude are you me? Almost everything on here matches me, down to the gym and injury issues. Only difference is I'm a little older so I got into metal through nu-metal like Korn and Slipknot. 

Welcome!!

I was around when Korn and Slipnot were coming up, they just weren't my cup of tea. Nice to meet you!

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #25,266 of 29,663

Welcome!!

We are one...
ph34r.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #25,267 of 29,663
  Have you tried Lacuna coil? They're more pop oriented, but pretty "user friendly". I think you said you didn't like symphonic metal. I kind of dig some of Epica's stuff. There's also Therion-they have a double album Lemuria/Sirius B that I like. But, that is symphonic oriented metal.

if you like opeth, you might wanna try Ne Obliviscaris, excellent band from the country I'm in LOL!
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=3932

if you are still craving for clean vocals on a metal band, maybe you can try Evergrey, one of the best clean vocals in metal IMO.

try this:

Have you guys been keeping up with the conversation? He's heard Lacuna Coil and I tried to turn him on to Evergrey.

Sweet. I've been an Ulver fan for the longest time.

Holy crap I just found this thread.  I thought I was one of the few metal heads on head-fi, happy to be here.

'Sup. You'll find that most of us share your taste.
cool.gif

Click here for a special treat.

Oh, and since you mentioned it...I was on the wrestling team in high school. Ended up hurting my knee. Even accidentally dislocated the shoulder of one of the coaches! And that's as far as I got in martial arts. lol

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #25,268 of 29,663

Welcome!!

thanks bud for making me feel really old! I remember when Korn,System of a Down and others came out I thought(and still do)

"What the hell is this crap?!?! This isnt metal!!!!

I omitted Slipknot cuz I actually like some of their stuff as well as Stonesour,but I dont consider them to be metal(by my interpretation)even though i realize they are metal by todays standards.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #25,269 of 29,663
What is this, a metal thread on head-fi?! Finally a new cozy corner to frequent between work posts on other threads...

I guess to just add to the conversation somewhat, I listen mostly to black metal (wearing an Emperor shirt right now in fact ha), but spent years in the death metal camp.

When we're building and tuning headphones & IEMs, I primarily use:

Darkthrone and Sepultura, early records (for texture)
Emperor (for laying)
Archspire (drum impact/depth and splashes)
Sunn (for very bottom end, resonance and power of the sound)
Cannibal Corpse (for mid-bass, especially The Bleeding album)
Mgla and Deathspell Omega (for overall cohesion and just because I know how those records sound without having to hit play)

Somehow I forgot to mention that the first Bloodbath EP is my go-to first testing batch of songs.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #25,270 of 29,663

IAnd yeah, I'm a fan of Sweet, especially their hard rock albums from '74 to '77.

I've been chuckling at how monsterzero clearly laid out what he was looking for, and some of you are leading him in completely opposite directions (try some lush, super-produced goth/prog/blackgaze!). He's being a good sport about it! Maybe I should start talking up my love for Finnish avant forest folk! :wink:

Glam: Do you like T.Rex? I love pretty much all of Marc Bolan's work...and my guilty pleasure is,was,and will always be Hanoi Rocks!
One of the best bands ever! Andy McCoy is a very underrated songwriter and they have a ton of very original catchy tunes.I love every one of their albums!

And to be clear i absolutely hate hair and glam bands,but Hanoi was different.

Its all good man,I truly appreciate every suggestion that has come my way...even though I havent found a single band(yet)that I would dare mention in the same breath as Priest or Accept,I still have found some good stuff that Ive added to my metal collection.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #25,271 of 29,663
  thanks bud for making me feel really old! I remember when Korn,System of a Down and others came out I thought(and still do)

"What the hell is this crap?!?! This isnt metal!!!!

I omitted Slipknot cuz I actually like some of their stuff as well as Stonesour,but I dont consider them to be metal(by my interpretation)even though i realize they are metal by todays standards.

Slipknot is one of the more extreme nu metal bands. They apparently started making "proper" metal later on, but I only bought their first three albums.

Here are two of my favorite Slipknot tracks. Kinda hard to not call this metal.

Korn more or less invented nu metal. They can also be considered alternative metal. The new Korn album was a hot topic (no pun intended) here. @Redcarmoose (one of the most experienced metalheads here) said it was his album of the year. You should hear it!

(Remember, when there's a track counter in the top left corner of the YouTube video, that means it's a playlist.)

What is this, a metal thread on head-fi?! Finally a new cozy corner to frequent between work posts on other threads...

Looks like more people are finding the thread due to it being in the most active threads list recently.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #25,272 of 29,663
@Music Alchemist

"The new Korn album was a hot topic (no pun intended)"

You just won the Internetz for the day with that comment!

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #25,273 of 29,663
I guess its kinda been lost in the shuffle

What Im looking for is this...from new bands.

My two favorite metal songs ever(Along with "Heaven and Hell" Sabbath and "Overkill" Motorhead)

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #25,274 of 29,663
  I guess its kinda been lost in the shuffle

What Im looking for is this...from new bands.

My two favorite metal songs ever(Along with "Heaven and Hell" Sabbath and "Overkill" Motorhead)

I like most metal, but I honestly didn't like those songs at all. (When metal first came out, "classic" stuff like this probably sounded groundbreaking and exciting to people at the time...but to me, it just sounds like basic boring generic riffs that any teenage garage band would play.) So I guess I couldn't help ya much in that quest aside from telling you to search for modern classic heavy metal bands or similar keywords.

Wow - is this the Let's Help monsterzero thread?

ahaha. I'm glad the thread has become so much more active though. I remember when it would go silent for days.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #25,275 of 29,663

I like most metal, but I honestly didn't like those songs at all. (When metal first came out, "classic" stuff like this probably sounded groundbreaking and exciting to people at the time...but to me, it just sounds like basic boring generic riffs that any teenage garage band would play.) So I guess I couldn't help ya much in that quest aside from telling you to search for modern classic heavy metal bands or similar keywords.

ahaha. I'm glad the thread has become so much more active though. I remember when it would go silent for days.

Yes, activity is good and helpful.

What do you guys feel are the best BM releases in 2016? Curious what I've missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back