Lets Talk Metal
Jun 16, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #19,442 of 29,648
  I forget who recommended Maladie - Still (they said a couple times to check it out). I listened to some samples immediately after the seeing it recommended and thought it was too goofy... well I bought it after listening to one or two tracks, and boooy let me tell you, this album is a scorcher!!! These are some of the best arrangements I've maybe ever heard in metal. It's incredibly layered. This sucker's staying on my playlist for a long time to come.

https://maladieband.bandcamp.com/album/still

I gushed a lot about it here.
It's my AOTJ so far (haven't had enough time with the new BTBAM)!
Don't even care that the sound is sub-par. Might buy the vinyl version (that definitely has a separate master) next week.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #19,443 of 29,648
You know Obituary, your new music video can be as charming as it wants.
I still don't like you.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #19,444 of 29,648
  You know Obituary, your new music video can be as charming as it wants.
I still don't like you.

Couldn't agree with that more. I remember when they were Kickstarting their new album and the drummer kept saying how badass and inventive the drumming would be, HA! Probably the most boring record of the last 5 years.

I may be crazy though, because I can't stand Tryptykon either. I just don't get some of these old school guys.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #19,445 of 29,648
Speaking of awkward music videos...

I love this song, but hate the video. Has some metal-ish parts, which is why I'm sharing it.

The anime OP (animated intro sequence to The Future Diary) is much more fitting for this song:

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #19,446 of 29,648

Couldn't agree with that more. I remember when they were Kickstarting their new album and the drummer kept saying how badass and inventive the drumming would be, HA! Probably the most boring record of the last 5 years.

I may be crazy though, because I can't stand Tryptykon either. I just don't get some of these old school guys.

I was going to make fun of you for not liking old school-stuff.

Then I noticed you have Magnepan Tympani 1D's. Respect!

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #19,447 of 29,648
slayer-show no mercy-managed to get 2 digital version that have been ripped from vinyl
1-reissue
2-roadrunner rcords
they sound great (warts n all)

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #19,448 of 29,648
  I was going to make fun of you for not liking old school-stuff.

Then I noticed you have Magnepan Tympani 1D's. Respect!

Heh, I certainly get a lot of **** for not liking a lot of old school stuff. The main one people used to really yell at me about was not liking early Death. The quality is just so goddam awful compared to what I'm used to it just really gets to me. I LOOOOOOVE Live in LA, though, and some of their final work. Maybe one day my snobbish-ness will wear off and I'll finally be able to sit through Scream Bloody Gore completely without cringing.

The Tympani 1D's are so killer with metal, I could listen to them all day (and sometimes do!) I'm hooking them up to an Emotiva XPA-5 soon. I'm hoping the extra power will improve bass slam and impact a bit because that is really the only thing they lack, but this is a maggie problem overall, so we'll see how much the extra power helps.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #19,449 of 29,648

Yeah, Obituary is just really boring to me...along with other universally beloved old school bands like Six Feet Under, Entombed, Unleashed, Bolt Thrower, Pestilence etc etc.
Like I said when we talked about Bathory here: I'm really grateful that these bands exist and that they influenced so many new(-ish) great bands, but I just don't like them.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #19,450 of 29,648
Yeah, Obituary is just really boring to me...along with other universally beloved old school bands like Six Feet Under, Entombed, Unleashed, Bolt Thrower, Pestilence etc etc.

Like I said when we talked about Bathory here: I'm really grateful that these bands exist and that they influenced so many new(-ish) great bands, but I just don't like them.

Out of curiosity, I know you're a prog fan, so do you like and of the older prog bands? King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Deep Purple, etc...

Just curious to see how far your dislike of the older roots spans. :wink:

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #19,451 of 29,648
Out of curiosity, I know you're a prog fan, so do you like and of the older prog bands? King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Deep Purple, etc...
Just curious to see how far your dislike of the older roots spans.
wink.gif

Hmm let's see...
Vinyls
  1. two King Crimson
  2. two Pink Floyd
  3. one Genesis

CDs
  1. three Genesis
  2. one Yes
  3. one Jethro
  4. one Zappa
  5. one Mike Oldfield
  6. one Rush
  7. one IQ

Not much buuuut I guess that should answer your question :)

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #19,452 of 29,648
New Bosse De Nage is good...
https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/all-fours

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #19,453 of 29,648

Six Feet Under suck. How about Suffocation, Death, Nile, etc old school tech death precursors?

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #19,455 of 29,648
Six Feet Under suck. How about Suffocation, Death, Nile, etc old school tech death precursors?

Nile? I liked them better in 2005 still they have an album out this year! Can't wait. There can never ever be any question to the quality of the metal band Death. Their music is a gift and will forever be fantastic!

Some like old Suffocation? Some like new?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORhcoiVRJM

Souls To Deny is truly epic. Some listeners just can't handle true hard death metal, so they trash it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back