Lets Talk Metal
Jun 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #19,427 of 29,666
I'm curious, what Burzum albums do people like? I'm only really a fan of Filosofem and all of his other earlier stuff is pretty bad IMO. OR at least there's thousands of other albums I'd rather listen to. But Filosofem is just glorious and I don't think there's ever going to be an album quite like it again.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #19,428 of 29,666

I have them all before he went to jail both on vinyl and CD. They take a while to get used to?
New LOG......
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dulxbKkj9Wg

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #19,429 of 29,666
This is good

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #19,431 of 29,666
I'm curious, what Burzum albums do people like? I'm only really a fan of Filosofem and all of his other earlier stuff is pretty bad IMO. OR at least there's thousands of other albums I'd rather listen to. But Filosofem is just glorious and I don't think there's ever going to be an album quite like it again.

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is probably my favorite.

"My Journey To The Stars" is an amazing track too, though I like the Nokturnal Mortum cover of it more. Burzum also re-recorded some of his old material on From The Depths Of Darkness.

Working my way through the atmospheric black metal. Liking the Drudkh
L3000.gif

\m/ \m/

"Furrows Of Gods" is my favorite Drudkh track.

I like Summoning much more, though. Nothing really compares to them when it comes to epic atmospheric black metal. You should listen through all their material, and don't judge it until you've heard it all. Note that their debut album was just raw BM and is not representative of the epic style they pioneered from their second album onward.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #19,432 of 29,666
New BTBAM album ("Coma Ecliptic") leaked a couple of days ago. Musically, it is an excellent album, right up my alley. They move to my musical preferences with every album.

But-and this is a big but-their albums are always horrible produced, vocals and guitar are horrendously compressed and lack clarity. Granted, this album sounds better than their last few and it could be the product of a pre-release copy, but so many other producers &/or engineers manage to make a good sounding metal album, so it's not like it's impossible. And, what on Earth are they listening to the tracks with in the studio?! Anyway, I'm hopeful that the review copy was a low res CD / prerelease master, although I'm not expecting anything better.

Apart from that, it is brilliant.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #19,433 of 29,666
New BTBAM album ("Coma Ecliptic") leaked a couple of days ago. Musically, it is an excellent album, right up my alley. They move to my musical preferences with every album.

But-and this is a big but-their albums are always horrible produced, vocals and guitar are horrendously compressed and lack clarity. Granted, this album sounds better than their last few and it could be the product of a pre-release copy, but so many other producers &/or engineers manage to make a good sounding metal album, so it's not like it's impossible. And, what on Earth are they listening to the tracks with in the studio?! Anyway, I'm hopeful that the review copy was a low res CD / prerelease master, although I'm not expecting anything better.

Apart from that, it is brilliant.

I think it sounds alright.
This is the best Tommy has ever been. Vocals are out of this world!
All the songs sound more....focused than normal. hard to describe.
Amazing album (as always)! Can't wait to see them this September together with Haken :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #19,434 of 29,666
I think it sounds alright.

This is the best Tommy has ever been. Vocals are out of this world!

All the songs sound more....focused than normal. hard to describe.

Amazing album (as always)! Can't wait to see them this September together with Haken :)

I'm extremely jealous of you right now! Haken and BTBAM are two of my absolute favourite bands! I would pay good money to see them together, and potentially could, but I don't have it to spare at the moment. :frowning2: Still waiting for Haken to come to Australia and hopefully BTBAM will be back soon with the new album release.

The album sounds okay, and it is passable, much better than "The Great Misdirect" but still nothing special. It sounds like listening to a 192kbps mp3 vs FLAC. Compare to something like Haken "Restoration" or Guilt Machine "On This Perfect Day" (Two that come to mind that I assume you would know) both of which have heavy guitar, but there's clarity and separation to it with strong dynamics. There's no reason why "Coma Ecliptic" can't sound that good. :)

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #19,436 of 29,666
Jun 16, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #19,437 of 29,666
Quote:

With atmospheric black metal, do you mean/prefer something more nature/folk-oriented or perhaps the cosmic/psychedelic/...in space! variety?

Quote:
Ethereal / cosmic / psychedelic - something to zone out / relax to
L3000.gif

I'd recommend these for starters (not sure all of these perfectly fit the strict definition of ABM, but these nonetheless conjure something majestic, ethereal and atmospheric):

Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu (the quintessential psychedelic black metal album, in my books the greatest record released in the 2010s)
Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith (black metal.... in space! Whereas Darkspace is the soundtrack to abject horror in the cold void, Mare Cognitum is more idealistic and optimistic, the ideal soundtrack for space exploration, going through the wormhole and going through the nebula at warp speed)
Darkspace - Dark Space III I
Woods of Desolation - As the Stars (goes into blackgaze/DSBM territory, full of raw emotion and atmosphere)
Spectral Tower - Spectral Tower (full-on Cthulhu worship with a unique atmosphere)
The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-li; Al Azif (more outstanding Cthulhu-themed records)
Midnight Odyssey - Shards of Silver Fade (A black metal magnum opus of grand ambition if there ever was one)
Chaos Moon - Resurrection Extract
Grimoire - L'aorasie des spectres reveurs
Spectral Lore - III
Ion - Ion
Akhlys - The Dreaming I
Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Nuus
Inferno - Omniabsence Filled by His Greatness
Ad Infinitum - Woven Within
Raventale - Transcendence
A Pregnant Light - Domination Harmony; Before I Came; My Game Doesn't Have a Name (seriously, if someone hasn't heard APL yet, do that asap. MGDHAN is somewhat poppier - gasp! - than previous releases, but a stunning exhibit nonetheless and the perfect soundtrack for summer nights)
An Autumn for Crippled Children - basically everything they've ever released

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #19,439 of 29,666
I forget who recommended Maladie - Still (they said a couple times to check it out). I listened to some samples immediately after the seeing it recommended and thought it was too goofy... well I bought it after listening to one or two tracks, and boooy let me tell you, this album is a scorcher!!! These are some of the best arrangements I've maybe ever heard in metal. It's incredibly layered. This sucker's staying on my playlist for a long time to come.

https://maladieband.bandcamp.com/album/still

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #19,440 of 29,666
  I forget who recommended Maladie - Still (they said a couple times to check it out). I listened to some samples immediately after the seeing it recommended and thought it was too goofy... well I bought it after listening to one or two tracks, and boooy let me tell you, this album is a scorcher!!! These are some of the best arrangements I've maybe ever heard in metal. It's incredibly layered. This sucker's staying on my playlist for a long time to come.

https://maladieband.bandcamp.com/album/still

+1

Bought it couple of days ago. Controlled insanity incarnate, epic and ambitious. Just counted nine guys in the band - no wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back