Lets Talk Metal
Dec 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #12,361 of 29,666
Thanks for Recarmoose. It's helpful for someone like me who's only been dabbling a year or so in this niche.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the price point for the Rega?

Actually I purchased mine on ebay for $399 used in 2006. I use a Rega Plant but nowadays you may find a newer higher level Rega like an Apollo for close to that. It just depends what sound you like, Regas are very warm and musical. Reviewers had said it may even be an almost microscopic element of reverb to em?

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #12,362 of 29,666
Their cheapest new CDP is 1k, IIRC. Though I like their older series more. There's a Saturn and an Apollo on Audiogon well under a grand right now.

I used google and put in Audiogon and Rega Apollo and it does look like they have sold a couple lately for $500. So true how different the older ones look to those little square ones they make now. Makes me wonder how the new ones sound? Lol.

I just started reading about asynchronous USB again. Amazing how many opinions and writing there is on the subject. Again I think it just depends how it sounds. At least with a CD player you kinda know that the player is putting out what they designed it to do. Then you only have to worry about is interconnects.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #12,363 of 29,666
Like many of you-thinking and listening to purchases from this year. Today revisiting two good ones. Both challenging and rewarding in their own ways.

Voivod Target Earth-this one is going be a keeper for me. I think I'll be listening and relistening over years to come. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHcrRaZhXs

Bosse De Nage III.  Was recently posted on these pages and decided it was time for another spin. I was having avoidance issues with the insane Bosse De Nage crew  
wink_face.gif
. This band makes me think of a mediation on insanity. Yes, it was released in '12, but I picked it up this year. I have to admit, this initially tested my patience and focus-I didn't like it at as well as their last release-II-it is even more experimental for sure-but worth the effort-very rewarding. Post-isms- abound. Progressive USBM? I don't know What, but it's a trip and a half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUQQyNFGxzA

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #12,368 of 29,666
  I love therions early work but have badly neglected there newer stuff

Fantastic pick. I've spent a good bit of listening time to this band.

This track is from ~~Therion's Lemuria/Serius B double disc. I've listened to not all-but most of their discography and own most of it. IMO-This is their best. Probably their most ambitious.

If I had to pick  one release in the "symphonic metal" genre...bands like Nightwish and Tristania come to mind, but it  would probably be this. Just a beautiful, epic fusion of traditional metal w/ symphonic and operatic elements.

Releases prior to Lemuria/Serius B like Vovin, Deggial and Secrets of the Runes (which  are all full of quality-Secrets of the Runes is stunning) are probably more operatic and classically influenced. And, Gothic Kabbalah, another double disc released after Lemuria/Serius B, which is also over the top with uber melodramatic ambition is less classical/operatic and more traditional metal.

Lemuria/Serius B is for me the ultimate marriage of the two styles. Highly recommended for fans of symphonic metal.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12,369 of 29,666
Interesting article!
http://lastrit.es/articles/630/is-it-worth-it----yobs-catharsis
It has YOB, dynamics and talk about remastered records in it. Has to be good.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #12,370 of 29,666
Oh and while we are at it....
Not 100% Symphonic Metal and it isn't even by a "real band" but....I friggin love it!

The soundtrack of this new 3DS game is just glorious:

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #12,371 of 29,666
  Interesting article!
http://lastrit.es/articles/630/is-it-worth-it----yobs-catharsis
It has YOB, dynamics and talk about remastered records in it. Has to be good.

Love that album, but I don't want to rebuy it. Doh!

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #12,372 of 29,666

Love that album, but I don't want to rebuy it. Doh!

I bought every YOB album except for their latest one...can't stand the sound.
Adds nothing IMO.

My favorite YOB song from my favorite YOB album :wink:
More or less....can't really decide if I like The Unreal Never Lived more.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #12,374 of 29,666

I'll just drop this off right here.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back