Lets Talk Metal
Dec 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #12,377 of 29,663
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #12,381 of 29,663
This just in.

Mastodon will release Mastodon Live At Brixton on December 10th in both audio and video versions, but what's interesting is this will be a digital-only release. No DVDs, no CDs, just iTunes and Amazon. The live set was taped at the band's debut performance at the Brixton Academy on February 11, 2012 and features the following set list:
01. Dry Bone Valley
02. Black Tongue
03. Crystal Skull
04. I Am Ahab
05. Capillarian Crest
06. Colony of Birchmen
07. Megalodon
08. Thickening
09. Blasteroid
10. Sleeping Giant
11. Ghost of Karelia
12. All The Heavy Lifting
13. Spectrelight
14. Curl of the Burl
15. Bedazzled Fingernails
16. Circle of Cysquatch
17. Aqua Dementia
18. Crack The Skye
19. Where Strides The Behemoth
20. Iron Tusk
21. March of the Fireants
22. Blood and Thunder
23. Creature Lives

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #12,383 of 29,663
Hey guys,
I'm a teacher in MD w/ a snow day! Must peter you all with music ramblings. If I annoy you, hit delete.

Seems I'm moving away from listening to mostly metal to being a  music fan who listens to some metal. Just not drawn to DM as much as a couple of years ago. I find myself purchasing prog, traditional rock, folk and ambient in equal or more quantity. 

NTL, I'm catching up on metal releases I think I'll like going through all the year end lists.

I think it was Modulor-a man with great taste, that tipped me to Windhand's Soma-Richmond VA doom. If you like doom-this is a no brainer to me. I'm missing that great YOB, Boris, Electric Wizard release.  Of all the stuff I streamed this weekend, this appeals to me the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC0MQog6Omg

If you're newish to doom and like this style and want to some digging, I recommend a stoner/doom band called Acid King. Windhand reminds me a tad of their guitar sound...although Acid King in retrospect almost go into drone territory. Their '99 release, Busse Woods is a classic in the stoner doom psychedelic genre.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otRO5HIpE4Q

Speaking of drone, but non metal, I've also been streaming Tim Hecker's Virgins is beautiful. I would say, if you like Alcest's more introspective moments, you might like him. Caveat, this is not metal. But, if you liked Swans' Seer as I do, this is a natural:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-ihs4BkAs

Also have been listening/streaming:

Agrimona-just ordered-sounds awesome to my tastes of BM and postisms
Ken Mode-just ordered as I like hardcore/noise rock when melded well w/ metal
The Ocean-I'm sure I'll end up with this. Like the prog. Metalcore vocals are hard for me to reconcile which is why I can't get into Norma Jean
Gorguts
Russian Circles-maybe not metal exactly, but it brings me back to post metal I used to listen to a lot like Pelican and Red Sparrowes
Monster Magnet-not really metal, but a good hard rock band! Their new album sounds as good as the new Motorhead in the old veterans category

Stuff I want to check out but haven't been able to listen to yet-and anticipate liking:

All Pigs Must Die, Kevelertak, Castavet (really enjoyed their first release-interesting melding of BM and hardcore), Vastum (actual DM! Carnal Law from a year or two ago is a favorite of mine), Inquisition, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Earthless (stoner jam band with lots of talent). Oh,  and Shining (jazzish metal and Twelve Foot Ninja) sound interesting. Always looking for that weird avante guard metal. Last year it was Sigh.

Finally, some of the stuff I recently actually own and dig:
CUL (most listened to for me this year)
Voivod!
Deafheaven
Carcass
Batillus-industrial doom-good stuff
Darkthrone (not essential-but damn fun-thanks Redcarmoose!)
Intronaut
Alter of Plagues-really grown to like this
Motorhead and Clutch-rawk 'n' roll

I know these are all obvious-but I dig them all.

Not metal but great:
NIN and QOTSA-almost metal, but not
Speedy Ortiz (if you have any interest in old school 90's indie rock that rocks like Dinosaur Jr)
Pat Metheny/Tap-jazz w/ some noise rock
Stephen Wilson-a metal connection if there ever was one-decidedly not metal, but a lot of metal heads luv prog!
Bob Dylan-Another Self Portrait-was prepared to hate, luv it
Civil Wars
Juliana Barwich
Board of Canada
Dropkick Murphy's-love the working class Irish drinking music!
a schit ton of old classic rock, folk and blues that I'll spare you :)

(ahem, but the Wings Over America remaster is awesome)

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #12,384 of 29,663
  Hey guys,
  Darkthrone (not essential-but damn fun-thanks Redcarmoose!)

The new one?
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #12,385 of 29,663
  The new one?
beerchug.gif

Yeah-man, it was your post that spurned me to pick up The Undergroud Resistance. I hadn't bought anything since the seminal classics. It's great. Not on any lists. Maybe a little derivative, but shiiit it's tons of fun.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #12,386 of 29,663
  I call this song the jaw dropper for obvious reasons.

That was fun. Still those bass lines and breaks are like Merciful Fate and like Priest, only maybe more erratic and prog-like. I try to get more excited about the retro wave that is hitting us now.

Is Evil a new release?

I guess it's suppose to be a little cheesy, with
bigsmile_face.gif
the bands name at the five minute mark. Of course the leads are great and frigging save it all as they always did with classic metal.

Have you heard Shock Em Dead by Psyconaut. Sound almost exactly the same. If you love your song you posted you'll love Shock Em Dead.
This is maybe their worst song?

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #12,387 of 29,663
Yes, I'm bored.

Just streamed the entire Ocean: Pelagial. Yes, I know it is on the entire Metalsucks staff lists. But,  I just had to check it out. Wow. talk about a variety of styles and ambition! Clean and harsh vocals, prog metal, doom, post rock. Pretty impressive first time thru.

Now streaming All Pigs Must Die. This music will make you want to break objects and bench press 400 pounds. Can you feel the testosterone? Not sure if life pisses me off enough to listen to more than a few times.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #12,388 of 29,663
  I call this song the jaw dropper for obvious reasons.

http://heavymetalgems.blogspot.com/2012/07/evil-evils-message-1984.html

ohh? It's from 1984..............how cute.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #12,390 of 29,663

Sabbaths new live album is fantastic.

I never thought they would show Ozzy's teleprompter he uses to read the lyrics but they show it if you look close.
Here it is at the 2.29 mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back