Lets Talk Metal
Mar 2, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #241 of 29,701
Quote:

Anyone else like Reveille, or is that metal?

Checking out Necrophagist, I listened to some Opeth, couldn't get into it. Maybe my limit is Grunge/heavy rock, metal just beyond.

Close, they are nu-metal. Generally we try to keep that stuff away from this thread though.

Necrophagist is bit extreme if you are new to extreme metal genres? About Opeth, I dont get into them either apart from couple of songs. Progressive rock and metal are not my things.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #242 of 29,701
This thread is just scary.

I can listen to Metallica, easily, their older stuff included. Someone listed Nightwish as metal, I have their newest album and greatest hits.

But then Opeth, Symphony X comes in, and I run away.

The subgenres seem so extreme differently that they need their own genre. Or is it just me that it sounds like an entirely different genre of music?

And yes Necrophagist, makes me cringe, it's so different from some of the other "founders" of metal that are listed in this thread.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #243 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Close, they are nu-metal. Generally we try to keep that stuff away from this thread though.

Necrophagist is bit extreme if you are new to extreme metal genres? About Opeth, I dont get into them either apart from couple of songs. Progressive rock and metal are not my things.

Hmm, perhaps you'll find an exception with Riverside. No, they're not exactly metal, but their use of the organ and some other ambient textures give the music a very 'epic' feel, a real delicacy to the ears. A good (and relatively heavy) song to start with would be "Reality Dream III".

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #244 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The subgenres seem so extreme differently that they need their own genre. Or is it just me that it sounds like an entirely different genre of music?

No it is not just you, "metal" is a generic clasification, it includes completely different artist, you're one of the first people approaching to metal music who understands that classifying music is not a strange way metalheads try to sound cool, but an actual necessity...many people are scared and confused by all that strange sounding names...
biggrin.gif
BTW if you like Metallica you should try to listen to some proper thrash metal, stuff like Exodus, Artillery, Kreator, Testament, Artillery, early Anthrax, early Megadeth, Coroner and many more...

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #245 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW if you like Metallica you should try to listen to some proper thrash metal, stuff like Exodus, Artillery, Kreator, Testament, Artillery, early Anthrax, early Megadeth, Coroner and many more...

Out of that list, I would recommend starting with Kreator. Mbd2884, if you can get your hands on Coma Of Souls, thats a good album to start for fan of Metallicas old material. Testament band is another.
Megadeth is also good, but I guess you already know them?

Quote:

Hmm, perhaps you'll find an exception with Riverside. No, they're not exactly metal, but their use of the organ and some other ambient textures give the music a very 'epic' feel, a real delicacy to the ears. A good (and relatively heavy) song to start with would be "Reality Dream III".

I presume you are replying to my comment about progressive music? I am mostly into either very melodic or atmospheric (either in grand or minimalistic way) and "inwards turning/self analyzing", like Black Metal or Doom/Funeral Doom, or just straightforward and aggressive like Thrash or Deathmetal. I'll check out Riverside though.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #246 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MaZa, You ever checked out any Shadow's Fall? I really like this album of theirs it's called Fallout From the War. Very tight band, excellent musicians, good songwriting...
*edit* sorry meliboeus, didn't mean to leave you out. You posted right before I did...heehehe...you like SF?

I'm quite a fan of Shadows Fall. I only venture a little into metalcore, but SF have enough crossover appeal for me to reallyl like them.

Fallout is definitely their weakest album. I'm actually pretty angry at them for putting it out, because I went and bought it unheard, and was very, very disappointed. Turns out it was just a contract breaker record, and they filled it with B-sides so they could put out the new album with their new label.

The latest album, Threads of Life is really good. It's got a bit more thrash influence, and the song Forevermore is a personal favourite. But their earlier discography is quite good as well, esp Of One Blood and Somber Eyes to the Sky. By the time they got to The War Within, the music is a bit more technical (good guitar work), but a bit less heavy. Still good though.

Of all the metalcore bands, I think SF are top of the heap, esp from a metal perspective.

Quote:

Anyone else like Reveille, or is that metal?

Checking out Necrophagist, I listened to some Opeth, couldn't get into it. Maybe my limit is Grunge/heavy rock, metal just beyond.

Starting at Necrophagist and Opeth is a bit extreme. Maybe start out with something with some metalcore influence like Shadows Fall, or even better, some of the 80's thrash like Anthrax or Metallica, and get heavier from there. The vocal delivery on death and especially brutal/tech death is generally going to put newcomers off.

(oh... some of this was covered in later posts. As you were)

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #248 of 29,701
Quote:

This thread is just scary.

I can listen to Metallica, easily, their older stuff included. Someone listed Nightwish as metal, I have their newest album and greatest hits.

But then Opeth, Symphony X comes in, and I run away.

And yes Necrophagist, makes me cringe, it's so different from some of the other "founders" of metal that are listed in this thread.

Metallica, Nightwish = cheap, accessible shallow fun.

Opeth, Symphony X = the really deep stuff, ok maybe less so for Symphony X.

A lot of metal needs time to grow on you, sometimes they become better the more you listen to them, sometimes they never grow on you and you learn to hate them. Symphony X is very accessible and I always recommend metal newbies to check them out, so do give them more chance. Opeth, yes, many people hate them cause in many ways their music is draggy and hard to get into. What Opeth and Symphony X albums have you gotten anyway? If you are new to death metal I highly recommend Death - Symbolic and Amon Amarth - With Oden by Our Side to ease you into harsh vocals.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #249 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I presume you are replying to my comment about progressive music? I am mostly into either very melodic or atmospheric (either in grand or minimalistic way) and "inwards turning/self analyzing", like Black Metal or Doom/Funeral Doom, or just straightforward and aggressive like Thrash or Deathmetal. I'll check out Riverside though.

Correct.

If you like Black Metal, the most mind-expanding ambient Black Metal outfit I've heard is Wolves in the Throne Room. Plus, look up Enslaved's later albums (Ruun and Vertibrae). Furthermore, if you're into really weird stuff, Nachtmystium. They do have some room to grow, but they've got a great 'psychadelic' kind of feel. Rest assured, it's Black Metal... only, it's weirder.

As far as Blackened-- genres go, Akercocke is by far one some of the most brutal and face meltingly heavy Blackened Death Metal I've ever heard. Plus, they stir in a little bit of off-kilter progressive experimentation, but not too much as to stray from their infamously brutal sound. Although they do have quite a loyal following, they're still one of those underrated best-kept-secrets, IMO.

Also, do you find the whole "True Black Metal" mentality as irritating and undeservingly pretentious as I do?

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #250 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah SF are really good IMO. I only have War Within, Fallout From the War and Threads of Life. I really enjoy Fallout for some reason. I love the other two also though.

How about All That Remains? Their latest album wasn't as good as The Fall Of Ideals, but it has some sick choruses and solos.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #251 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about All That Remains? Their latest album wasn't as good as The Fall Of Ideals, but it has some sick choruses and solos.
very_evil_smiley.gif

All That Remains; Used to listen to them. I still think they're good, I just don't listen to them anymore. I have a few friends who are into them, still.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #253 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjettar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend me some Atmospheric, ambient (or whatever others call it) Black Metal?

I recently got into Summoning, Ulver, Sear Bliss, Agalloch and looking for more
smily_headphones1.gif

Silencer - Death: Pierce Me
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss , Filosofem
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora, Forgotten Legends, Blood in our Wells
Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice
Negură Bunget - OM
In the Woods... - HEart of the Ages
Darkspace - Dark Space I, Dark Space II
The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #254 of 29,701
Agalloch

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #255 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct.

If you like Black Metal, the most mind-expanding ambient Black Metal outfit I've heard is Wolves in the Throne Room. Plus, look up Enslaved's later albums (Ruun and Vertibrae). Furthermore, if you're into really weird stuff, Nachtmystium. They do have some room to grow, but they've got a great 'psychadelic' kind of feel. Rest assured, it's Black Metal... only, it's weirder.

As far as Blackened-- genres go, Akercocke is by far one some of the most brutal and face meltingly heavy Blackened Death Metal I've ever heard. Plus, they stir in a little bit of off-kilter progressive experimentation, but not too much as to stray from their infamously brutal sound. Although they do have quite a loyal following, they're still one of those underrated best-kept-secrets, IMO.

Also, do you find the whole "True Black Metal" mentality as irritating and undeservingly pretentious as I do?

I know all those bands already.
smily_headphones1.gif

About Tr00 Black Metal, yes and no. I dont care if band takes a lot of influence from other genres to flavor up their blackmetal as long as music is good, (thats how blackmetal has stayed alive all this time anyway, no matter what elitists say. Also bands like dimmu borgir and CoF are often gateways for this music) but I also want to keep a thick wall between what really is blackmetal and what is IE just extreme goth metal like CoF.

Quote:

Can anyone recommend me some Atmospheric, ambient (or whatever others call it) Black Metal?

I recently got into Summoning, Ulver, Sear Bliss, Agalloch and looking for more

Summoning is Summoning, and AFAIK there are no other bands like that. Actually they are hardly metal anymore, but still kick ass! But Blackmetal that strives for atmosphere, there are a lot.

Darkspace. My personal favourite band. Ambient blackmetal, thick layered wall of sound. Vocals are also part of the sound, distant screams and such, not supposed to be understandable
aural creations
Click the Darkspace III to download a trailer song, made off several songs from that album.

Elysian Blaze. Ambient blackmetal. Mastered like you are listening in a cavern.
ELYSIAN BLAZE (Official) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Check song Anvil Chorus

Silencer. Suicidial blackmetal. Warning, the singer gets on the nerves! Sounds pathetic whiner really, but music is good. Check song Death Pierce Me.
Silencer on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Taake. This is just normal norse blackmetal, but it still concentrates heavily on the melody. If you like old Ulver, check them out.
TAAKE (official) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Check song Nattestid Ser Porten Vid

Nocternity. Black Metal from Greece. Like Darkspace, they concentrate on thick and layered wall of sound, but overall music is more blackmetal than ambient.
Cant find samples, but look for Onyx album and A Fallen Unicorn EP.

Negura Bunget. According to M-A they are Progressive Blackmetal, but I concentrate more on the atmosphere side. Very good stuff, sort of spiritual.
Negură Bunget on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Check song Wordless Knowledge. Too bad they are short clips only, what a moronic thing to do in myspace! What?

Thats all I can think of for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back