Lets Talk Metal
Feb 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #226 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MaZa, You ever checked out any Shadow's Fall? I really like this album of theirs it's called Fallout From the War. Very tight band, excellent musicians, good songwriting...

Shadows Fall is kinda cool. I havent paid much attention to Metalcore scene, but Shadows Fall is clearly one of the better acts from that side of Metal, especially because they have a lot of melodeath mixed in.

I just bought Depressed Mode's second album. Its IMO a huge improvement from the first album. First was completely Goth/Funeral Doom metal, mixing My Dying Bride and Shape Of Despair flavors. Second is less Doom metal, and hefty dose deathmetal added, but still gothic sounding and melodic. First three songs and last song on that album are best. Last song, ...For Death is complete doom metal song of their older style, sounds a lot like Nortt but with bassier sound and female vocals added.

Depressed Mode [ALBUM OUT NOW!] on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
What do you think about this Fido? Listen song She's Frozen and ...For Death. Too bad song Death Multiplies song isnt in their myspace site, that would have been fastest and most intense song they have made so far, and my personal fav.

I think they need to rethink their band name though, Depressed Mode is bit clichee and sounds too much like Depeche Mode. Song names are not very original either, though that doesnt really matter.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #228 of 29,701
Quote:

I like that man. "Symphonic Death/Gloom Metal"...I'll pick that up.

As Monty Python used to say "Now for something completely different" LMAO...

YouTube - Hank Williams III - Pills I Took - Athens GA 40Watt 10/20/06

Oh my god...
eek.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #232 of 29,701
Quote:

Go ahead and post your suggestions here unless there is some reason you feel you shouldn't? I may not be the only one who wants to hear more ...?

Well, I have a very broad selection, so it kinda depends on which genre of metal you typically enjoy. Blotted Science takes a lot of inspiration from jazz, prog/experimental, and of course, death metal.

From Blotted Science towards Jazz, I would have recommended...
-Cynic
-Atheist (Who hasn't heard of Atheist!?)

Towards Prog,
-Liquid Tension Experiment (Liquid Tension Experiment 2 is better)

Towards pure Death,
-Necrophagist
-Cryptopsy (although hard to grasp)
-again Atheist
-Between the Buried and Me (I've heard little- don't trust me on this one)

And in other directions...
-Enslaved (Ruun album-experimental/progressive black metal)

Not only because of commonalities between the bands' respective genres, but because those who enjoyed the Blotted Science often enjoyed a few bands from one or two of the other categories.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #234 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Furthermore, for those who like grindcore/deathgrind/etc...

Gigantic Brain

Deathgrind... Meets electronica.

Their myspace:
Gigantic Brain (Official) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Quite good stuff, especially their ambient pieces. And Grindcore pieces too if you like uberfast Grindcore. Im more into no-nonsense Death/Grindcore like Rotten Sound though. They dip their toes in deathmetal world from time to time too, but songs are Grindcore to the core, short and fast songs.
http://www.myspace.com/rottensound

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #235 of 29,701
I'm going to be recording a demo soon-ish though, I just want to keep it between a very small group of people, though, so that was one factor of my suggestion back there.

I'd rather keep the prototype very limited in distribution, because it'll be fairly low-fidelity and not an exceptionally accurate representation of the final (hopefully) product. Hopefully you can understand my concern.

Mind you, my low B string broke right before I was going to record, and my other (albeit better-- I suppose these events were for the best--) guitar is in the shop getting a setup and being tweaked for heavier strings and lower action.

I'll post back when I've actually completed the recording (guitar track only for now, unfortunately, my apologies.) PM me if you're interested hearing it. I'm aiming at a kind of mix between deathgrind (fast and hard with dissonances) and progressive (technical, with very odd time signatures). Sounds impossible to me, too, but we'll see how it turns out.

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #237 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a band?

Not exactly. It's just me for now, although I do write the guitar, drum, and bass parts (and some piano). Like I said, this would only be a prototype, as it only encompasses one, albeit major, portion of the final product.

I need to find some others with whom to jam and record the song as a whole. As it were, I only have one complete song (and a plethora of miscellaneous riffs.)

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #239 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when you have something recorded, I would atleast like to hear what it is like. Good luck on demo!

Thank you! I'll send the prototype to a couple of people and get feedback before I record the full demo. (Basically just guitar tracks.)

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #240 of 29,701
Anyone else like Reveille, or is that metal?

Checking out Necrophagist, I listened to some Opeth, couldn't get into it. Maybe my limit is Grunge/heavy rock, metal just beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back