Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Aug 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #961 of 1,075
Quote:
I've swapped my iBasso D2+ with a friend for the last few days and, although the UHA-4 is growing on me, I'm still preferring the iBasso sound signature. I'm hearing a rolled off bottom end, recessed middle (whoa, where did those vocals go) and top end harshness when I use volume to compensate for the bottom end. And I'm really not a basshead, but do enjoy all the overtones on a bass guitar.

Maybe it's just my old ears but, having been considering the UHA-6 as a new toy, the UHA-4 isn't winning me over.....

With what source and phones?  What opamp?  I'm not familiar w/ that Leckerton signature at all.  Do you consider the iBasso neutral?

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #962 of 1,075
ipod classic->LOD->amp->Westone UM3X No real idea what opamp ther UHA-4 is running - I introduced the friend to head-fi, but we haven't spoken in detail about that element.

I had thought the ibasso fairly neutral, but maybe it does reinforce the bass. The Leckerton is quieter (my ibasso has an ever so slight background hiss), but I perceived the sound signature I described above, as well as perhaps a narrower soundstage.

Do other people who've listened to multiple amps find the UHA-4 "laid back" in its sound signature?

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #963 of 1,075
Quote:
ipod classic->LOD->amp->Westone UM3X No real idea what opamp ther UHA-4 is running - I introduced the friend to head-fi, but we haven't spoken in detail about that element.

I had thought the ibasso fairly neutral, but maybe it does reinforce the bass. The Leckerton is quieter (my ibasso has an ever so slight background hiss), but I perceived the sound signature I described above, as well as perhaps a narrower soundstage.

Do other people who've listened to multiple amps find the UHA-4 "laid back" in its sound signature?

I find its mid range to be the forefront of the presentation. It has added clarity focus on the vocals. The bass has a very slight emphasis (warmth). The sound stage is decently wide but has more depth. If  by laid back you are referring to smooth? Then I'd say it is quite a smooth amp. It's not rough around the edges which I find to be a plus.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #964 of 1,075
like butter 
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #965 of 1,075
Psycho-aural perception is an interesting thing isn't it? I was listening further last night and this morning, and I'm less unimpressed, although the upper overtones still seem to be missing from bass guitars. I had a bit of a play with the x-feed which, although I found it distracting, suggested that the issue with the "recessed" vocals seems to be that they are generally in the centre of the soundstage and get slightly lost. The x-feed brings them forward (a little like when stereo is processed into surround with a front centre channel), but I didn't like the overall effect.

But I've been getting used to it, and almost convincing myself that it is a step up from the iBasso, quieter but more subtle in any colouration. I'll listen more, but it's those bass guitars that are leaving me unconvinced at present..

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #966 of 1,075
Quote:
Psycho-aural perception is an interesting thing isn't it? I was listening further last night and this morning, and I'm less unimpressed, although the upper overtones still seem to be missing from bass guitars. I had a bit of a play with the x-feed which, although I found it distracting, suggested that the issue with the "recessed" vocals seems to be that they are generally in the centre of the soundstage and get slightly lost. The x-feed brings them forward (a little like when stereo is processed into surround with a front centre channel), but I didn't like the overall effect.

But I've been getting used to it, and almost convincing myself that it is a step up from the iBasso, quieter but more subtle in any colouration. I'll listen more, but it's those bass guitars that are leaving me unconvinced at present..

How long have you let the unit run in? I found my unit to open up considerably after 50+ hours of usage. Try leaving it plugged in and pumping up the volume and leave it powered on.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #967 of 1,075
Quote:
How long have you let the unit run in? I found my unit to open up considerably after 50+ hours of usage. Try leaving it plugged in and pumping up the volume and leave it powered on.

No real idea how long it's been used for, although the owner himself is hoping running in would change it. Haven't had a chance to get his impressions of my iBasso.....

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #969 of 1,075
Gotta burn in the thing before judgement.  I pro'lly have 10,000 hours on mine.

Magic is probably not going to happen whether it is 100 or 10k hours. :wink:

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #971 of 1,075
Quote:
How does the UHA-4 compare with the UHA-6S.MKII?   What advantages does the more expensive 6S.MKII have?

Next level transparency.  Not in the same league.  Myself, Lee, Shotgunshane and others have owned both.  The 4 has a digital pot w/ no channel imbalance, crossfeed and a smaller size but not that much smaller after the mk2.  That's about it.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #973 of 1,075
Quote:
I love the volume pot in the UHA-4, not only is the operation flawless but the built in mute feature (push in) is awesome.

If they could implement the digital pot, cross-feed and that mute feature on the UHA6MKII it would completely destroy in the portable market.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #974 of 1,075
If they could implement the digital pot, cross-feed and that mute feature on the UHA6MKII it would completely destroy in the portable market.

It probably is an deliberated choice not to use digital pot. Nick is more than capable when it comes to circuit design but to implement digital volume means an extra layer of signal processing, which in a way will lower the over transparency. It might not be much in real life, but given the customer are mainly audiophile, the attention to detail can pay off. I rather like how volume control is implemented on StepDance / QuickStep - the analog pot is digitally measured, then the position of the pot is digitally translated back onto analog switches for the actual volume control. It is kind of a digitalized analog volume control where you get the transparency and the fine control. But that in a way is much more complicated design that might not be feasible on such a smaller amp when there is already a DAC stuffed inside.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #975 of 1,075
Quote:
It probably is an deliberated choice not to use digital pot. Nick is more than capable when it comes to circuit design but to implement digital volume means an extra layer of signal processing, which in a way will lower the over transparency. It might not be much in real life, but given the customer are mainly audiophile, the attention to detail can pay off. I rather like how volume control is implemented on StepDance / QuickStep - the analog pot is digitally measured, then the position of the pot is digitally translated back onto analog switches for the actual volume control. It is kind of a digitalized analog volume control where you get the transparency and the fine control. But that in a way is much more complicated design that might not be feasible on such a smaller amp when there is already a DAC stuffed inside.

Well he did mention possibly adding those features in a future update if enough people want it :wink:. I didn't know it would lower transparency tough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back