Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Apr 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #886 of 1,075
More accurate impression will be out once I have chance to volume match everything. By then, I'll probably be writing them for my sub-$200 portable amp shootout. For now, I'll just kick back and enjoy :D

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #887 of 1,075

Quote:
More accurate impression will be out once I have chance to volume match everything. By then, I'll probably be writing them for my sub-$200 portable amp shootout. For now, I'll just kick back and enjoy
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your final thoughts. After buying the UHA-4 I'm wondering where to go from here and I'm not really interested in any side grades.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #888 of 1,075
That's interesting.  Any more impressions would be good if you'd like to compare to the UHA4.  I think you have the 209s as well?

Not much to say, really, and, frankly, I don't have much experience reviewing gear, so while my ears are very, very good at telling me what I'm hearing, translating that into English is...spotty at best.

The C421-8620 sounded v-shaped, with a flat, congested soundstage, and mediocre instrument separation. It was...sort of an upgrade from a Caffeine Pro (in technical ways, and step back in musicality, whatever the hell that really means), but I wasn't sad to see it go. I was really after something neutral(ish), with good detail and soundstaging. I'd come into this hobby assuming I was a basshead, but it turned out (not surprisingly, the more I think about it) that I was a total detail freak (at least within my price range).

The UHA-4-209 has been great so far. It's got a little punch, as ClieOS said, and really seems to open everything up (detail, soundstage, etc.).

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #891 of 1,075
Thank you. I wanted to get the C421 but now I know what configuration I should go with.
Small typo:

"by UHA-4 and C21-2227, "

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #892 of 1,075

Quote:
Thank you. I wanted to get the C421 but now I know what configuration I should go with.
Small typo:

UHA4 is quite nice turok. I love it with the Stock OP Amp. Very musical and the mid range is lively. I really want a UHA6MKII :)

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #893 of 1,075

Quote:

Quote:
Small typo:

UHA4 is quite nice turok. I love it with the Stock OP Amp. Very musical and the mid range is lively. I really want a UHA6MKII :)

Why the UHA6MKII.............................anything special about its SQ vs the O2?
Now you got me lost again! are you happy! UHA4 or C421?.......

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #894 of 1,075

Quote:

Why the UHA6MKII.............................anything special about its SQ vs the O2?
Now you got me lost again! are you happy! UHA4 or C421?.......

I don't have the C421. I have the UHA4. I want the UHA6MKII because it would be an improvement IMO to the UHA4. That is if the volume pot is like that of the UHA4, you'll have more power and better dynamics overall.

Now going from Anaxilus' comments, he found the UHA6 to be even more transparent than the O2 amp. Not saying this is fact but a rather interesting point. Then again he isn't using the Stock OP amp. I am very happy with the stock OP amp in the UHA4 however (I don't like too much transparency as it would offset the balance with my rig).

Honestly I don't think you would be upset with either the 4 or 6. But maybe you should contact Leckerton and find out if the new model will have a digital pot like the UHA4. Also find out if it has cross-feed. If not then it may be better to get the 4 based on using IEMs. The 6 would be better suited for full size cans otherwise.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #896 of 1,075
After a few days of listenning to my UHA4 with Aud 5x, I found the sound to be projected a little further in front of me instead of a very in the face sound, the sound is "tamed" for the lack of a better word. Bass also seems to do a little better now. Portable amps are still very limited in what they can do in my noob opinion.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #899 of 1,075
i was pretty unimpressed with this amp since i got it basically to make my audiophile orchestral albums sound as vast and dynamic as i know they can [on ER4s], but didnt really hear much of a difference between the Leckerton and my rockboxed ipod hp out except maybe more treble and clean gain

...well, i just started listening to my old thrash metal collection which has been sadly neglected in my search for other musics....and i'm astounded at the purity and speed im hearing!! 
eek.gif
 holy cow. metal nirvana

guess i need something fruitier for classical tho

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #900 of 1,075

Quote:
i was pretty unimpressed with this amp since i got it basically to make my audiophile orchestral albums sound as vast and dynamic as i know they can [on ER4s], but didnt really hear much of a difference between the Leckerton and my rockboxed ipod hp out except maybe more treble and clean gain

...well, i just started listening to my old thrash metal collection which has been sadly neglected in my search for other musics....and i'm astounded at the purity and speed im hearing!! 
eek.gif
 holy cow. metal nirvana

guess i need something fruitier for classical tho

For Classical and ER4S, I think you should take a look at JDS's C421 with the AD8620. While UHA-4 does sound really good with IEM in general, C421 with ER4S are just match made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back