Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #842 of 1,075
I've been browsing these forums for a while now and increasing my knowledge on so many things I didn't know before.
This is my first post here.

This might be slightly off topic but need suggestions from you experts there..
This is driving me crazy..

I am buying my first ever headphone amp and after running into this thread my confusion has increased even more
tongue.gif

I have a budget of around $400 and was initially planning on getting my first ever custom IEMs (1964EARS T) and the FiiO E11 to go with it.
But now I'm wondering if I should spend more on an amp/DAC and get the UHA-4 and use the remaining to buy myself a good music player, I'm thinking of the Cowon J3 as it'll fit in my budget.
My current source of music is the iPhone 4 and I feel I have quite decent headphones, the Bowers & Wilkins P5.

So will it be a better idea to get the UHA-4 and Cowon J3 and use it with my P5 or get the 1964EARS customs and FiiO E11 to use with my iPhone 4?

I am an amateur audiophile and in the process of learning more and more.

Please tell me which will be a better investment at the moment.
I listen to a lot of classical rock, metal and classical music.

Any suggestions would really help me think straight and my life back to normalcy
smile.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #844 of 1,075

The J3 lacks a true line out. You may be better served to buy the UHA4 and an ipod LOD to connect to your phone (which has a true line-out dock).
Quote:
I've been browsing these forums for a while now and increasing my knowledge on so many things I didn't know before.
This is my first post here.

This might be slightly off topic but need suggestions from you experts there..
This is driving me crazy..

I am buying my first ever headphone amp and after running into this thread my confusion has increased even more
tongue.gif

I have a budget of around $400 and was initially planning on getting my first ever custom IEMs (1964EARS T) and the FiiO E11 to go with it.
But now I'm wondering if I should spend more on an amp/DAC and get the UHA-4 and use the remaining to buy myself a good music player, I'm thinking of the Cowon J3 as it'll fit in my budget.
My current source of music is the iPhone 4 and I feel I have quite decent headphones, the Bowers & Wilkins P5.

So will it be a better idea to get the UHA-4 and Cowon J3 and use it with my P5 or get the 1964EARS customs and FiiO E11 to use with my iPhone 4?

I am an amateur audiophile and in the process of learning more and more.

Please tell me which will be a better investment at the moment.
I listen to a lot of classical rock, metal and classical music.

Any suggestions would really help me think straight and my life back to normalcy
smile.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #845 of 1,075
Quote:
Just ordered the stock UHA-4 standard configuration. I'm now off to order a proper LOD

You should enjoy it quite a bit.  I'm still loving mine.  The "new toy" syndrome hasn't worn off yet.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #847 of 1,075

Quote:
You should enjoy it quite a bit.  I'm still loving mine.  The "new toy" syndrome hasn't worn off yet.

That's the thing that amazes me about the UHA4. Although at one point I was starting to lose interest in it, when you realize how well balanced it is for Sensitive IEMs and powerful enough to drive some pretty power hungry cans, it sparked my fascination yet again.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #848 of 1,075
Just to reiterate, I'd recommend the OPA209s over the stock AD8610s for true transparency and resolution if that's what you want from your music.  

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #850 of 1,075

Quote:
Just to reiterate, I'd recommend the OPA209s over the stock AD8610s for true transparency and resolution if that's what you want from your music.  

Synergy and preference will also play a huge part in this. I would find the UHA4 too transparent with my current sources and headphones so I am quite happy with the stock OP amp. I already find the O2 already borderline when it comes to transparency paired with my DACport LX.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #851 of 1,075

After sitting on the idea of which opamp to get, I did end up ordering the OPA209 version instead of AD8610. I know I will be happy with AD8610, but I already own a few amps based on it. Would be nice to have something else for a change. Can't wait for it to come so I can compare it to C421.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #852 of 1,075

Quote:
After sitting on the idea of which opamp to get, I did end up ordering the OPA209 version instead of AD8610. I know I will be happy with AD8610, but I already own a few amps based on it. Would be nice to have something else for a change. Can't wait for it to come so I can compare it to C421.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back