Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
May 13, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #301 of 1,075

Quote:
I have since read that the Earsonics are considered to be a neutral earphone, and I accept that I may have been a little hasty - if that is the case, I apologise to munkyballz. And its not everyday that you will hear someone say that. 
rolleyes.gif

Lol, don't worry.  The SM3 is not a neutral phone.  You would have to rewrite the definition to be true.

May 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #302 of 1,075
OK - thanks for the correction. I'd like to hear the SM3, but my IEM budget is limited - they seem even more addictive than portable amps. If the RE262 dont prove to be more durable than the RE0 were, I might just leave the IEMs to Joker and ClieOS. 

May 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #303 of 1,075
Thanks, but I didn't really take the comments as a slight or w/e, so no worries.  Plus unless you're a snob or self accredited elitist, it's just a hobby forum for fun and thoughts last time I checked, no prerequisites and certifications or technical structures or formatting are necessary or required to post... take it as is or skip it, simple as that.

And no, I probably would not classify the SM3 as a pure and true neutral phone (though I wouldn't completely lambaste it as non-neutral either), it has a slightly more mid-centric and bass focused tendencies, while still keeping the treble full and intact.  I was using the SM3 as an example because it's the phone I've been using the most recently and also a phone that a lot of people have used, so for those that have heard them can draw some connections or vicarious relations to the experience. 

That said, the amp itself, I would consider pretty neutral, in that it keeps all those qualities of the SM3 intact, just gives them a little booster chair... or like 2-3 inch heels on a girl (assuming that you like girls).  And in the same way those heels makes a girl's ass a little firmer, tighter, and bang, the Leckerton kind of does that to the phone's sound, adding a bit of additional clarity to the sound, firming it up which by doing so, indirectly gives the illusion and satisfaction of cutting out some of the fat or in the SM3's case, thickness.

The difference while noticeable, is subtle and probably wouldn't really result in a double take if you weren't already familiar with the phones, spent a lot of them with either of the toys, or specifically sitting down to a serious analytical/review session.  It's not quite as evident or neck breaking like a girl in 5+ inch heels walking pass you in a mini-skirt or tight leggings.

May 15, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #305 of 1,075

Quote:
*Snip*

The difference while noticeable, is subtle and probably wouldn't really result in a double take if you weren't already familiar with the phones, spent a lot of them with either of the toys, or specifically sitting down to a serious analytical/review session.  It's not quite as evident or neck breaking like a girl in 5+ inch heels walking pass you in a mini-skirt or tight leggings.

Depends how much she weighs, I live in old town Pasadena, and on weekends there are some girls who wear things they really shouldn't 
ph34r.gif

The amp you refer to also strikes me as a direct competitor to the UHA-6, for they have similar features, the UHA-4 is supposed to be slim and portable, the Ibasso you mention is significantly larger.
That and you mention that the Ibasso is brighter, I already consider the UHA-4 to be a tad bright, any brighter IMO would be too much...

May 16, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #306 of 1,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyballz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See, I came here to have a serious discussion about audio equipment, and now I'm just thinking about hot girls in 5 inch heels.  Way to derail the conversation.

Also, thanks!

May 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #307 of 1,075
Guys, I think we've spent long enough in the locker room - time to get off those girls and back to audio. Oh, wait ......

May 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #310 of 1,075
@imackler

The crossfeed and crosover are completely unrelated, so the answer is "Yes" as in "Yes, the crossfeed will work with W3 and W4 or any headphones you plug into the UHA-4."

The crossover in the headphones takes care of the distribution of the audiofrequencies among the different drivers (W3 and W4 are multi-driver IEMs).

The crossfeed in the amp takes care of mixing the left and right channels a bit to create a sense of listening to speakers where each ear hears both the left and right speakers unlike IEMs.

So, the two terms are unrelated and do not affect compatibility.

May 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #311 of 1,075

Thanks!
Quote:
@imackler

The crossfeed and crosover are completely unrelated, so the answer is "Yes" as in "Yes, the crossfeed will work with W3 and W4 or any headphones you plug into the UHA-4."

The crossover in the headphones takes care of the distribution of the audiofrequencies among the different drivers (W3 and W4 are multi-driver IEMs).

The crossfeed in the amp takes care of mixing the left and right channels a bit to create a sense of listening to speakers where each ear hears both the left and right speakers unlike IEMs.

So, the two terms are unrelated and do not affect compatibility.

May 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #312 of 1,075
bulmanxxi how long would you say the UHA 4 takes to fully burn in? I'm a bit over 100+ hours. Not sure if it will change any more. I'm very happy at the burn in results so far. Everything just sounds smoother and the mid range is making me drool :wink:. This amp really makes the Sansa fuze and iphone 4 sound great with my IE8's.I convinced soundbear to try out UHA4 (that was unintentional though lol) along with the new arrow he had his heart set on. He burned both amps in and returned the arrow just recently. Just a little food for thought.

May 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #313 of 1,075
@ lee730

I think I've already said so but I also like the UHA-4 more than the Arrow.  I've had the Arrow 3G and sold it.  I have not noticed much change, if any, it just sounded great from the start.  I have a pair of IE8 on order, so am glad but not surprised to hear the synergy is good.  

May 16, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #314 of 1,075

Quote:
@ lee730

I think I've already said so but I also like the UHA-4 more than the Arrow.  I've had the Arrow 3G and sold it.  I have not noticed much change, if any, it just sounded great from the start.  I have a pair of IE8 on order, so am glad but not surprised to hear the synergy is good.  

Yes for me the change has been significant. Just as with the IE8's you will really notice the difference once they are burned in. They sounded pretty good out of the box but once burned in you just die :wink:. I like the UHA 4 out of the box as well. But just recently I really noticed the emphasis on the mids. Its not coloration to my ears. But the clarity has quite improved on the mids. I'm noticing details that weren't so much noticeable before and I love it. Not just the mids improved but the sound stage and overall smoothness. Bass is quite nice as well. Crossfeed works wonders for oldies music.

May 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #315 of 1,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In brief, the UH-4 is one heck of a deal!  It sounds great, has a digital volume control, and a dac, for something like $179 delivered.  I bought mine barely used for a bit less.  I put the Arrow up for sale after about 5 minutes with the Leckerton.  It is everything I had hoped the Arrow would be - well except tiny.  It is small, but the Arrow is minuscule!

Well, I just paid 224 USD for the little guy, including $25 delivery to Oz. While I don't accept half the hype being generated by Bulmanxii re this 'easily bettering the TTVJ Slim DAC/amp' etc, I am prepared to risk a couple of hundred dollars on something which might be a good choice for IEMs. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back