Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
May 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #271 of 1,075

Quote:
Its all your fault guys
mad.gif

i think this is the price we pay for starting a new hype-leckerton

we should leave leckerton, and move to other amp, you know..so they will push the price back to normal
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #272 of 1,075

Quote:
Hmm, $200 is a dangerous psychological break point for spending. It's high enough to dissuade, OR it might make you think you might as well spend more money on something from the competition.

^^^definitely this

May 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #273 of 1,075
Add the shipping estimate for my hometown in Oz and it close to the *shipped* price that I paid iBasso for my P4.

May 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #275 of 1,075
I'd would be kinda upset if I was still trying to make my mind up and the price just went up $30, but what you expect him to do, take a loss ?

Here in America he is not the only one effected, any small business has seen cost's go up in one form or another over the last 12 months.

But at the same time I can see how it look's increase in demand = raise prices. 

And as for FOTM, I bought it based on that if I did not like it within 30 days, I could return it and at $169 I was willing to take the chance, plus at the time I did not have to wait long for it to ship. 

Also just to comment on the amp itself after spending more time using it, listening to some songs reminded me of looking at water you would find around a tropical island that was crystal clear and you could see all the way down to the bottom.

Personally I wish Leckerton all the best, I think he has a good thing going. 

May 5, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #276 of 1,075
A 30 buck increase is probably disappointing to a lot of potential buyers and pulls the curve of its preexisting impressions of "price/performance" value down a bit, but I suppose it's understandable.  I mean this is probably a one man operation and all of sudden with in a couple months he's getting +5x the demand that he was getting before, which could entail order more parts and labor in the manufacturing department et al.

I would be lying if he didn't see it as a chance to boost his margin of profits a bit too; but then again, the increase of demand versus his supply or at least his allocated time to produce the amps probably boosted so much that his opportunity costs would have been higher if he did not make the amps, so in order to justify the continued production of them, increased to cost to make it worthwhile for him to stay.

Of course, he could have just kept the price relatively near the original price point and produced it at a slight loss or marginal net gain, to increase the awareness and popularity of his company name and reputation; however, if it truly is a one man op and this is more or less his main source of income, then even with the greatest rep in the world, unless he can find an immediate force or means of assistance in his operations... the guy has to make something to eat.

Who knows what is really going on or what the real reasons for the increase is, could be one extreme, bits and parts of everything, or somewhere in between...

On the bright and more head-fi related side, been listening to the actually amp itself and in my limited time with it, it does sound quite good.  There is a discernible difference between the sound from the D10 and the UHA-4, in regards to both amp and DAC.  I can say straight up, that the DAC in the D10 is better.  The amp though, I have not had enough time to A/B them nor listening to the UHA-4 extensively, but put it this way, if I was to be forced to only have one and had to take the UHA-4, I would not be disappointed at all.

May 5, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #277 of 1,075
Has anyone tried AKG 701/2's with this amp?  Does it have sufficient power to drive them?  I lack the technological knowledge to determine that from the specs.  

I see a lot of people complaining about the price bump in this thread, but are there really any competitors in a similarly tiny form factor that can compete in terms of sound quality and features?  The TTVJ Slim, ALO Rx, and the Pico Slim are all a good deal more expensive.  The Arrow 12he is a bit more expensive, but people seem less satisfied with the sound and it lacks a DAC.  What other options am I missing?  

May 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #278 of 1,075
So I received my UHA-4 yesterday.  Listening to Tool 10,000 Days and I have to say that this little amp sounds great with my TF10s.  I am using the USB port on my otherwise noisy computer.  Sounds better than the HOTUSB1 that I was using previously and now I can turn the voume up/down and turn the audio off to my IEMs.

There were reasons why I chose this.  

1.  Plug and play - I work in a enviroment that I don't have administrator rights and can't load any drivers.  UHA-4 worked instantly
2.  Small footprint - I also work around a lot of people!  Can someone say "Office Space"!!!  Like to keep it on the downlow.
3.  American made - makes it easier and cheaper to send it back for whatever reason
4.  Customer service - Nick replied to ALL of my e-mails!
5.  Black casing - yup, I got one of the last black cases!
6.  Crossfeed - wanted to try this out and didn't want to spend a fortune to test it.  Not sold on it yet though.  I will try some Fairfeild four and see what happens.
7.  Mute function - nice when I need to mute fast to speak to one of my fellow Engineers

BTW, since I started typing this I put on Michael Jackson's Number Ones.  This amp really brings out the mids in the TF10s.  I have a feeling that I will be using this for a while!  For stuff and giggles I may try the DAC in the HOTUSB1 into the UHA-4 to see what happens.

I would say that this amp is tiny with a big heart!  Kinda of how I explain my 4.5lbs Japanese Chin to people!

Just my opinion is all!

Dave

May 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #279 of 1,075

Quote:
Has anyone tried AKG 701/2's with this amp?  Does it have sufficient power to drive them?  I lack the technological knowledge to determine that from the specs.  

I see a lot of people complaining about the price bump in this thread, but are there really any competitors in a similarly tiny form factor that can compete in terms of sound quality and features?  The TTVJ Slim, ALO Rx, and the Pico Slim are all a good deal more expensive.  The Arrow 12he is a bit more expensive, but people seem less satisfied with the sound and it lacks a DAC.  What other options am I missing?  

yeah, and if leckerton increases the price a little bit more, people will just save a little more to get arrow or ttvj all the way. USD200 is a dangerous limit for many people

May 5, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #280 of 1,075

Quote:
What other options am I missing?  

Wrt Arrow:

-2 headphone outs-So two people can listen to the same source
-2 inputs-gives a choice in mounting
-bass boost-best I've yet heard yet in terms of clarity
-packaging-still the best out there
-upgradeable-only amp I know that can be upgraded for modest price as it continuously evolves
-battery life-ridiculous battery life, it doesn't die.
-auto poweroff-skeptical at first but now I don't want to live w/o it.
-auto power adaption-audio sounds the same regardless of charge in the battery
-designed to minimize clicking and popping in any aspect of use which could damage phones possibly.

May 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #281 of 1,075
Wow...That's a bit of a price hike :frowning2:  I was contemplating stretching for the UHA-4, even though I didn't need the dac, especially with all the love its been getting. At that price point, it's still a good deal for features like crossfeed, but I'm not confident enough yet it's the best for me. I agree with the above comment about the P4; I don't know which of the two is better, but I'd do even more reading than when the UHA-4 was $170.

I'll be excited to read more about the E11 and see if its even in the same class as the UHA-4, especially for iems.

May 5, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #282 of 1,075

Quote:

The TTVJ Slim, Arrow, etc. are said to have a lot more power to drive full size headphones than the uha-4. That's a big difference to consider--or argue about...

May 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #283 of 1,075
I think the uHA-4 brilliantly illustrates the fact that there will be very few people here (or anywhere ..) who are prepared to buy every portable amp simply to be able to say 'nah - the ABC is definitely better VFM than the XYZ !'. Just find the amp that makes you happy and stick with it.

May 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #284 of 1,075

Quote:
Wow...That's a bit of a price hike :frowning2:  I was contemplating stretching for the UHA-4, even though I didn't need the dac, especially with all the love its been getting. At that price point, it's still a good deal for features like crossfeed, but I'm not confident enough yet it's the best for me. I agree with the above comment about the P4; I don't know which of the two is better, but I'd do even more reading than when the UHA-4 was $170.

I'll be excited to read more about the E11 and see if its even in the same class as the UHA-4, especially for iems.

i got a feeling that e11 will be able to fight uha4 fairly well. i'm eagerly waiting for cleios to finish the full review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back