Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #616 of 937
 ^

rigmarole 
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #618 of 937

Quote:
Quote:
I can confirm that is an excellent sounding portable rig (been there, done that).

Thanks Larry - I value that recommendation. Have you heard TTVJ's current portable amp - if so, what is your opinion of the 'Slim' ?

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=278

Apologies if you have already reviewed it - Todd's stuff seems to get buried somewhere between RSA and the iBasso onslaught :)

I listened to a TTVJ solid state portable at CanJam 2009 for a few minutes and thought it sounded very good.  But that's my only experience with it.  I haven't read anything bad about it though.  I only sold the hybrid because I had too many amps and my 3MOVE and XM5 gave me a similar sound without the "tube ring" if the amp is tapped.  The portable hybrid was fantastic with Grados, and I do miss it sometimes.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #619 of 937
Thanks Larry - the Slim reportedly corrects things like the tube ring Skylab reported on in his review.

(my fanboy status prevents me from commenting on your Grado reference. I AM trying to broaden my horizons, but its never easy)

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #620 of 937

Quote:
I had considered the ESW9 for my next HP purchase, but it doesnt seem to have a lot of supporters here - what do you think of the ESW10 ?

Well, I just got mine a week ago, and very pleased.  A very sweet euphonic sound, probably not so great for fast rock (although the Pixies and Modest Mouse do just fine, if without the aggressive edge you might get with more rock-oriented phones.  I'm very pleased with the portablility and comfort, and they're not as delicate as you might think.  

I can't believe I came back here though-- last night I ordered a pair of ES10s and now I've pulled out an old fifth-gen iPod video, wondering it it's worth it to get an LOD and amp.  Damn!

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #621 of 937

Quote:
For those who have lots of money I guess its  OK to spend big on portable set up but I think if you have limited budget, you really should take your time and decide slowly on where you want to invest. since I have been on Head-fi, which is just over 2 years, the pics above are pretty much all that I have invested in my HP setup. probably around ~$1000. but I have spent around ~$2000K on CDs, trying to build my classical collection and some Jazz CDs, which I think is money well spent. I think its important to keep in mind why we are in this hobby, and not try to collect as much equipment we can but increase our exposure to new music. in the end, thats what its all about.  

2 MILLION dollars on CDs? :xf_eek:

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #622 of 937

Quote:
Quote:
For those who have lots of money I guess its  OK to spend big on portable set up but I think if you have limited budget, you really should take your time and decide slowly on where you want to invest. since I have been on Head-fi, which is just over 2 years, the pics above are pretty much all that I have invested in my HP setup. probably around ~$1000. but I have spent around ~$2000K on CDs, trying to build my classical collection and some Jazz CDs, which I think is money well spent. I think its important to keep in mind why we are in this hobby, and not try to collect as much equipment we can but increase our exposure to new music. in the end, thats what its all about.  

2 MILLION dollars on CDs? :xf_eek:

WOW. I think he meant $2000. But if he means $2 million and still thinks it's money well spent, then I think 
deadhorse.gif
  we have a problem here.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #623 of 937
heh...if only I had 2 million dollars.....
then I would definitely buy that brautigam set 
L3000.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #624 of 937
For $2 million I'd buy a Bugatti Veyron and install some Nautilus drivers and subwoofer.  Now THERE;S a portable rig.

Quote:
heh...if only I had 2 million dollars.....
then I would definitely buy that brautigam set 
L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #625 of 937
hi guys i'm loving this thread! but could you help me out with a question? I was looking at the pb1 and was wondering how much sonic returns could i expect from investing in a "balanced set up". i know it isn't truly balanced since the source is single input, but would i be able to hear significant improvements over T3, arrow and even mustangs?

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #626 of 937
You use balanced armature earphones, which I assume you'd want to recable and run balanced. You will definitely hear differences, but those may not be better, they may actually be worse. Running in balanced mode changes the manufacturer's impedance spec and thus, you'll get very different reactions from the speakers themselves. Armatures and balanced doesn't get much recommendation from me. Dynamics, can, but again, you better listen at the same volume with immediate splitters and A/B them before dropping a load of dosh on something that really is just more expensive. If you look at the expensive box and enjoy it for what it's worth, you will no doubt hear something different and better. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #627 of 937
Thank you shigzeo!

I suspected from reading other reviews that may be the case with most iems..

So that really narrows down my choice down to t3 and headstage arrow. I've heard the t3 but not the arrow. Loved the little amp but didn't know if I could part with the extra cash and have an extra thing to lug around.. Think I'd rather spend the minimum when it comes to portable amps.. Can't justify paying the price for things like shadows and pico slims.. The cost of lods for those rigs even customed by a local diyer are bloody ridiculous for 4 inches of bloody cable!

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #628 of 937
Although as Shigzeo stated, the impedances can change and possibly the SQ of your headphones as a result of balancing, I found that when I balanced my ES3X and drive them from my PB2,  the SQ stayed pretty much the same as before, but imaging became more precise and 3-dimensional and the soundstage more expansive.   I certainly can't state that this would be the case with all makes of IEMs, but the Westones did respond to balancing very well.

IMO, eliminating the common ground (negative) return as a result of balancing will always result in more precise and stable imaging, whereas the tonal qualities of the phones may or may not result in noticeable improvements. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #629 of 937
Finally, a post with integrity, which majority of the reviews here lack.  Especially with big list of sponsors on the right.  But, much respects for keeping this post alive for everyone to read. Thanks for the insightful comments. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #630 of 937

Quote:
Finally, a post with integrity, which majority of the reviews here lack.  Especially with big list of sponsors on the right.  But, much respects for keeping this post alive for everyone to read. Thanks for the insightful comments. 

I resurrected it in the hope that it would generate discussion beyond 'Yeah, I agree with everything the OP said' - if nothing has changed in 2+ years, we need to start asking ourselves some hard questions. On a lighter note, I ordered the PX200 II on the basis that they are reputedly a step up from the PX100s the OP was so enamoured with straight from his DAP  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back