LEAK: SHURE SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 headphones (and pricing) likely to be announced tomorrow! (And mini-review of SRH840.)
Apr 20, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no kidding. When it comes to closed headphones, I actually really like the Edition 9, but I just do not find the Edition 9's bass performance to be the best thing about it--it's too loose for me, and even more slightly tipped up than the SRH840's (which, itself, is, again, already tipped up north of neutral). In a short, direct comparison of the two yesterday, the SRH840's bass was simply tighter and more accurate to me.

Interesting... How would you say the two compare in the mids and highs?

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #17 of 431
And you posted this just after I decided the agony my IEM's (although I LOVE the sound) give me is just too much and I need some closed headphones for isolation.

Also after I just purchase Lambda Pro's.

I hate Head-Fi.
frown.gif

Also, in the pic the two higher end models don't have cables. This means its detachable?
How does the SRH440 compared to the 840

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #18 of 431
Wow! This sounds incredible! I might even be able to coax my wallet into letting me buy a pair. I look forward to hearing more about these soon!!!

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #19 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... How would you say the two compare in the mids and highs?

I'm going to hold off on answering this one since I was listening mainly to some of my bass reference tracks for the specific purpose of comparing the bass performance of the two.

Obviously, I have the SRH840 right now; and one of my local Head-Fi friends (thread) has the Edition 9, so I'd like to do more comparisons between the two, overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you posted this just after I decided the agony my IEM's (although I LOVE the sound) give me is just too much and I need some closed headphones for isolation....

Consider a custom IEM--generally more expensive, of course, but more comfortable than universal-fit for most people.

Of course, you can shop around for a good closed headphone, and the new SHUREs are certainly very good candidates there, in my opinion.

Quote:

....Also after I just purchase Lambda Pro's....

That's obviously a very different headphone, though.

Quote:

....Also, in the pic the two higher end models don't have cables. This means its detachable?
How does the SRH440 compared to the 840

Yes, the cables on the SRH440 and SRH840 are removable, and are single-sided and coiled. The SRH240 has straight dual-sided cables (the cable splits and enters both earpieces).

As for how the SRH440 compares to the SRH840: The SRH440 is obviously new to me (I didn't even know it existed until a couple of weeks ago, when it was posted here), so I'll withhold that answer for now.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #21 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starguard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of looks like the updated MDRV6s.

It'll be interesting to see how the reviews turn out. I never really liked IEMS--let's see how SHURE treats this.

Oh NO, please no...

PS. Your YES styled nice avatar/logo, did you made it by yourself?

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #22 of 431
i'm a bit more curious about its construction. can the pads be easily removed? is the cable connector to the headphone a mini-jack? at that price, i think it would attract some modders and hopefully get a community driven modding market going. i would love to see them woody-fied and cant wait to see what the drivers look like.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 431
Now that the cat's out of the bag, I can talk about the SRH840 now.

I had the opportunity to test out the SRH840 for a couple of months.

Here's a brief run down of my impressions:

The Good:
Huge soundstage for closed headphones. Smooth sound, incredible bass response. Plenty of slam, but without being overly boomy sounding. With the sub $200 price point, the SRH840 offers the best bang for the buck for all full sized cans.

The Bad:
As with any "DJ" style closed headphones, they can be painful to wear for some with sensitive ears. And since it's isolating, the clamping pressure is uncomfortable to wear for those that wear glasses. The coiled headphone cable was heavy, awkward, and very microphonic.

The Ugly:
Styling leaves much to be desired. The first time I saw them, I expected them to say "Sony" on the sides. I understand that the SRH840 is aimed towards the studio monitoring market, but it doesn't mean that they couldn't have received some proper Industrial Design treatment.

All in all, the big sound out of sealed, closed headphones is the most amazing part. And they roll up into a pretty portable size for tossing into one's bag.

-Ed

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #25 of 431
I'm sure the guys at Shure are following this thread and will begin working on that dodgy cable in future production batches.

mmm..interesting times ahead for sure.
And Shure, if you are reading this, the general public do care about looks, even in high-end headphones and fairly or not, judge a headphone on looks before they buy. Of course, us audiophiles don't care as much but the general public does, as I am sure you are aware of. But hey if this is targeted at the audiophile crowd, we of course rather have the R&D money spent on the sound of the headphone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #26 of 431
Is there a locked-in release date, or do we have another HD800 scenario?

Are we sure the production models will be exactly as the beta-tested units? (that's a rhetorical question. of couse we don't know that, as it is the very definition of "prototype" and "beta")

Funny how people are so quick to jump on one (now two) favorable reviews, sight unheard. This thread probably stops a lot of people from buying a currently-shipping headphone until these Shures hit vendor's shelves.

Personally, I don't like these "leak" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more) type of threads anymore. All respect to Jude, but this is all pure marketing.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #27 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I don't like these "leak" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more) type of threads anymore. All respect to Jude, but this is all pure marketing.

Look what's above and to the left of this thread. advertising. But honestly, no duh on the naming of the thread.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #28 of 431
I found the SRH840 in the Netherlands for 241 Euro (314 USD). Which is a bit of a disappointing price.
The HD380 can be bought for 100 Euro (130 USD).

If someone is interested: Bekafun

They also list the SRH240 (71 Euro) and the SRH440 (144 Euro).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back