LD MKIII and 600ohm phones (DT880?)
Jun 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

boclcown

100+ Head-Fier
I've spent a while searching the forums for an answer and nothing seemed to answer the two questions that I have. 

1) will the Little Dot MKIII be abe to drive a 600 ohm headphone well?

2) if so, will I have full volume control? I don't want to be forced to turn the volume switch all the way up just to drive the 600 ohm phones. 

thanks.

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 12
always buy the better phones.  even if you're not equipped to amp them to their fullest.

heck, the amping thing is a little over-dramatized on the forums.
i've listened to the 600 ohm beyers (990s and 880s) on an ipod, for crying out loud!
and they weren't half bad, either.
i should be hanged, right? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 12
edit: 

I'm in college, and so I anticipate that the LDIII will be the last amp I am able to purchase in at least a couple years. That said, I'd hate to have the 600 ohm 880's and be missing out on better quality with the 250 ohm version if the LDIII would have been able to do a better job with 250 ohms. 

That's really what I'm thinking about.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 12
The 600 ohms are not harder to drive than the 250s. I think you should read a bit into the differences between solid-state and tube amps and go from there (after you bought the Beyers of course :p).

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 12
i have the ld mkii with ef92 mullards for driver tubes and it drives both of my 600 ohm beyers (dt 990 and dt 880). i use the mkii on gain 3 (lowest gain) because i feel they sound better this way, volume is pretty loud at 12 o clock, i usually set it at 10 o clock... i do not think the mkiii will give you driving problems as it is the better amp :D

the audio gd c-2c is a solid state amp and i hear better details with it over the little dot mkii, but the difference isn't that big after i upgraded tubes. let us know how the mkiii will drive your headphones as i am also very interested :D

YMMV of course!

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 12
maruzen, are those mullard tubes around 10 bucks each? I did a quick google search to get an idea of how much it would cost. 

so do you like the LD MKIII with the 600's? 

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
i should be hanged, right? 
biggrin.gif

You should be educated 
devil_face.gif
 I mean, a good decent pair of headphones shouldn't sound like a hyperactive chipmunk from a weak amp but you could probably have just gotten something efficient instead and saved your money. Except K701. I hated them unamped (but then I'm only 'meh' with them amped). 

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 12
The 600OHM DT880 isn't half bad from an iPod, really. :wink: It just doesn't have the juice to bring them to acceptable sound levels.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 12

yup i got mine for like 8 bucks each but i had to factor in shipping so that's about 10 usd for a tube... used ebay for my needs 
smile.gif

i do not have the mkIII, i have the mkII, or mk2 and i haven't heard the mk3. but the mk2 with ef92 mullards can drive the dt880 / dt990. great job from an entry level amp from little dot. so the mk3 should be better theoretically 
smile.gif

...although sometimes i have this nagging feeling that there's a tube amp somewhere there that will blow me far away when i hook the beyers to it 
smile.gif

Quote:
maruzen, are those mullard tubes around 10 bucks each? I did a quick google search to get an idea of how much it would cost. 

so do you like the LD MKIII with the 600's? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back