LD MK VI Tube Rolling!!!
Dec 31, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #46 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of power the Mk VI is pumping out 5W @ 120ohm, i'm pretty sure it's more powerful than GS-X. But a balanced b22 is more powerful as you can have it config to drive speakers!

If anyone in Melb AU have a b22 or GS-X and like to do a mini meet please PM me!

Thanks, I guess I just assumed a SS amp with a separate psu would be more powerful, but I suppose I shouldn't assume.

Looks like this amp will do fine, now I just need to change my APS order to single 4 pin instead of dual 3 pins.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #47 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I guess I just assumed a SS amp with a separate psu would be more powerful, but I suppose I shouldn't assume.

Looks like this amp will do fine, now I just need to change my APS order to single 4 pin instead of dual 3 pins.

...or just get it with dual 3-pins and then get an adapter. I've reterminated my cables to 4-pin and built a few adapters. One to go SE with a standard phono plug and another to go dual 3-pin.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #48 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a set going at Ebay, don't know if they're NOS or matched though
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought these and have been listening to them. I like them a lot, but I need to switch back and forth a few times so that I can figure out why I like them so much. I also picked up a cheap matched pair of 6SL7GT to listed to. I didn't notice much of a difference with just the 6SL7's alone.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #51 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of getting a quad Tungsol 5998 and a pair of Mullard ECC35. Hopefully they will be a big improvement over the stock ones.

Didn't cafe zeenuts try these and not like them?

On another note, can anyone tell me the difference between 5998's and JAN-5998's? Is there any?

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #53 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't cafe zeenuts try these and not like them?

On another note, can anyone tell me the difference between 5998's and JAN-5998's? Is there any?

As far as physical properties go... The JAN 5998 are labeled in green while the normal Tung Sol are grey. The JAN have that chrome covering on the bottom side while the grey labeled tung sols are clear (pic 1). There's a shield covering the filament (white thing) towards the top on the grey tungsols. The JANs don't have that shield (pic 2).

Sound wise, I think they're the same although I haven't thoroughly compared them. If they were really different I think I'd have noticed right off the bat.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #55 of 130
But i do like the Valvos better....

Here is my take on those tubes...

Valvo 6SL7GT

Wow, what wonderful sounding reference class tube, it has a very natural sound and well balanced across the frequencies. Big 3D like soundstage offers much better depth then the Brimar orange label 6SL7GT and wider soundstage. Outstanding instrument separation and there is heaps of air in between instruments. Very easy to pin point where each instrument are located. It’s my no.1 preamp tube right now, Brimar orange label now no.2.

My conclusion so far is that the Valvo 6SL7GT and the Brimar orange label 6SL7GT are both reference class preamp tubes. Brimar offers a closer intimate sound, flatter soundstage compare to the valvos, but with an unbeatable midrange, the vocal on the brimars is just magical. The valvos offers the best soundstage, excellent depth and very wide stage. PRAT is slightly better than the brimar. In terms of micro detail both tubes are on par of each other. The Valvo has a tiny edge on timbre compare to the brimar. Lastly the highs are about the same on both tubes.

YMMV!!!

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #60 of 130
Just a heads-up.
I'm using a quad of TungSol 5998 and 2x Sylvania 6SL7GT, the amp is fed by the DAC1 USB. This is by far the best sound out of my HD650 I've ever heard
biggrin.gif
The HD600 is more neutral but not as smooth as the HD650.
Just bought some tube dampers and waiting the stand for my setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back