LD MK VI Tube Rolling!!!
Dec 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #35 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I looked around and it seems there's quite a range available in those models. Would you have advice about specific generations and a good source?

I just found out that tubemonger.com have plenty of stock of brimars brown base CV1985 6sl7gty and black base 6sl7gt.

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #36 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found out that tubemonger.com have plenty of stock of brimars brown base CV1985 6sl7gty and black base 6sl7gt.

At $225 per pair!!!!

I hope this isn't what Ben mean by saying he don't want to 'breaking the bank'
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #40 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $225 per pair!!!!

I hope this isn't what Ben mean by saying he don't want to 'breaking the bank'
biggrin.gif

I looked at those and it seems tempting, but I really didn't want to spend as much on the tubes as I did on the amp!

I guess I'm looking for one level down from these.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #41 of 130
RCA 6AS7G

The RCA 6AS7G is a warmer sounding tube than the Tung-Sol Jan 5998. Soundstage more 3D than 5998, it is able to produce better depth and wider stage. The midrange is the strong feature for the 6AS7G, combine with brimar orange label 6SL7GT the vocal, piano and guitar is very magical. One weakness is that it lacks bass impact therefore bass and snare drums sounding a bit thin. The highs are not too bad.

Also in the house is a nice pair of VALVO 6SL7GT, impression to come in the next few days.

200phxc.jpg

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #42 of 130
The RCA 6AS7G seriously that good? A quad sold just sold on ebay for about $33. Pretty cheap...

I don't know if this has been posted, but I think it's helpful. Some VT-229 comparisons

I found the descriptions to be accurate. Tung Sol VT229 are my favorite so far, but the Brimar CV1985 feels like a step up in terms of detail. They both sound very balanced. I still can't find the Mullard ECC35 for under $200 so I'm going to pass.

I haven't been listening to the MK VI much cause I've been playing with Grados, but since I just got my K1000...
smily_headphones1.gif
They sound pretty damn good with the MK VI. Very impressive level of imaging (seperation and detail). Mids and highs are remarkable. Bass is detailed and ample - depends on how I adjust the speakers. I haven't heard them on other equipment so I can't say how well they are being driven, but I like what I'm hearing. I have a cinenova grande driving my speakers, but I can't picture something like that powering the k1000.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #43 of 130
Can anyone compare this amp to other balanced amps like Beta22, GS-X for HD600? I know they are way more expensive, but I had originally intended to go with a Beta22, then realized I would rather put money into a nearfield speaker setup, however I still would like to have a balanced setup for headphoning. I own a LDMK3 that has served me well so I'd be willing to try this one out.

I know the other amps I mentioned will have more power just due to their massive scale, but are the benefits of balanced showing up with the MKVI?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back