LD MK VI Tube Rolling!!!
Jan 28, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #61 of 130
I am still waiting for the 70's military 6H13C power tubes.

I tried Sovtek 12AX7LPS drivers (with octal adapter) and detect only a slight difference to the stock driver tube (and the Sovteks sound very nice in my Rogue M-150's). Did anyone out there get their VI with Raytheon 6080WC power tubes like mine and did upgrading these power tubes make for a substantial improvement? More so than just the drivers?

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #62 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by pgruebele /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still waiting for the 70's military 6H13C power tubes.

I tried Sovtek 12AX7LPS drivers (with octal adapter) and detect only a slight difference to the stock driver tube (and the Sovteks sound very nice in my Rogue M-150's). Did anyone out there get their VI with Raytheon 6080WC power tubes like mine and did upgrading these power tubes make for a substantial improvement? More so than just the drivers?

Mine came with those same power tubes. Though everyone's definition of "substantial" is different, and differs across the type of upgrade in question, I am willing to say that I found power tube upgrades (to Tung-Sol 5998's, black plates) to be a pleasant soundstage opener, but less of an improvement than switching the driver tubes to ECC35's - an improvement which quite literally kicks the amp up at least 3 notches. so, so sweet sounding....

ill write up a full review one of these days

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #63 of 130
A few upgrades for me...

I bought a monitor stand for the amp. The dimensions are perfect for the MK VI! My headphone setup is connected to my computer and I'm a hard core gamer. My monitor is a behemoth (GDM FW900) and I wanted some more space to put stuff on my desk. The stand only costs $21 at staples. I bought a bunch of furniture, etc last week cause they were (perhaps still are) running a nice promo - $75 off $290 coupon with free next day shipping. Here's a link to the stand. It has holes so the amp is getting proper ventilation. No idea if it's helping with damping. It does have some rubber feeting of some sort. I don't really care.

My advice for anyone thinking about tube rolling. Aim for the top! I'm not to sure about power tubes since I've only the 5998s. I think they are very nice, and from what I've read, they are the best 6AS7 tubes (suppose to be the same as the 421A, which takes the top spot I believe). I bought my quads matched for $140, $190, but I've seen them on ebay for under $100 (dunno if matched though). I spent the weekend listening to the ECC35 and they sounded spectacular. My favorite tubes prior to hearing them were the VT229 Tungsol. I like them a lot because they were very rich and musical, although I felt the Brimar CV1985 had the edge on detail. The ECC35 is just a nice combo of richness and detail. I've never heard the K1000 sound so damn sexy until I got the ECC35s.

Before, I thought the K1000 was lacking in body (CV1985). I'd have the K1000 angles closer to my ears cause otherwise, the bass would be a bit thin. With the ECC35 I have them angled just about all the way out, sometimes all the way out, and I still get nice bass. Haven't tried Senns with the ECC35, but I'm guessing I'll be just as happy. The ECC35 is also more forgiving compared to the CV 1985. Helps with silibance.

I think I'm done with amp and dac upgrades for say 3-5 years. Everything else till then is just experimentation or side steps. My dac, Stello DA100 Sig... Hmmm... I'm inclined to say it's on the warm side, but can be too revealing (or harsh) at times. I don't have much experience with dacs. My only reference points are the emu1212m and pico with dac. They both are more neutral, lean towards the analytical sound, and still reveal harshness. It's only about maybe 5-10% of my collection that may suffer from some crappy silibance or recording. I have about 2tb of music and a good amount of it isn't main steam, e.g., doujin from comiket. I still dont know what to think about it. Is this the way it should sound (the way it was recorded), or is my DAC inferior somehow? My hunch is that it's just the recording.

Stello DA 100 Sig -> LD MK VI (Tung Sol 5998 + Adzam ECC35) -> K1000. I'm very happy with this setup, just wish some songs were more forgiving. I'm still going to try to find something for my GS1000 because I think they have a lot of potential. At the moment, this setup is murdering everything else I got. HD 800 is next for the amp, just gotta source a cable for it. I guess it'll be a few months from now.

ECC35 - highly recommended. I will be grabbing some more pairs when I get the chance.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #64 of 130
with those tubes, your mkvi looks like my mkvi's evil twin (mine is silver, with identical tubes)

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #65 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with those tubes, your mkvi looks like my mkvi's evil twin (mine is silver, with identical tubes)

You guys have another brother there
biggrin.gif
5998+ECC35. I got my NOS ECC35 for 225$. That's freakin' expensive but really worth it
biggrin.gif

And, what a pity I didn't buy that stand
frown.gif
I just ordered one but is far more expensive
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #66 of 130
wow, NOS - i paid $80 for a used matched pair, but they test around 90% and i'm happy with the performance boost
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #68 of 130
I'm not going to be rolling my MKVI for quite some time, if ever. I am perfectly happy with the stock Raytheon tubes.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #69 of 130
I finally got my 6H13C tubes. I did not AB but have been listening with them for a few hours and my musical enjoyment definitely increased. I am using these with Tung-Sol 6SLTGT new stock. Unfortunately 2 of these tubes have noise/hum problems but this seems to die down after 20 minutes so I am able to get a feel for them.

I am new to head-fi and am using the VI with AKG 701's (well broken in). Just added a 4 pin Neutrik to a shortened stock cord ($10 balanced upgrade).

My first impression is that this combo is noticeably more engaging than the stock tubes: more sweet and detailed but without fatigue, better separation even during busy passages, decent sound stage but not nearly as nice as my stereo setup. Since I'm new to head-fi I can't compare to other headphone rigs. Can I ever expect realistic sound staging from a headphone setup such as this? Instruments don't feel like they are 40 feet away as they should. Sounds that are supposed to come from behind me are sort of in my head.

I also tried Sovtek 12AX7LPS drivers but my first impression is the I liked the new stock 6SLTGT more. This was very surprising to me since the Sovteks are very nice tubes.

Anyway, the overall sound is very satisfying. Now I wonder what I would get with a 5998/ECC35 combo
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #70 of 130
Maxvla,

You can pick up 6H13C's on ebay for cheap. Mine were $40 including shipping. I will have to replace at least one of them so the hum issue is something to be weary of though.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #71 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not going to be rolling my MKVI for quite some time, if ever. I am perfectly happy with the stock Raytheon tubes.

at least do yourself the favor of upgrading the driver tubes. the ECC35 transforms the MKVI into a sword dipped in honey

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #72 of 130
I'll consider it, but it will be down the road. I have a new computer and active monitors in the works before I do any more headphone spending. I need the new comp for speed upgrade and also I'll be making it a silent pc. This one is quite noticeable while listening to classical, etc at low levels. The monitors are because I still want to listen while ear fatigue is going on. I can listen to speakers all day every day and never have ear fatigue, but after just 2-3 hours of constant headphone listening it starts to show up.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #73 of 130
I have some more impressions to share:

In comparison to the MK V, my VI now sounds equally detailed yet less fatiguing. It also has slightly better sound stage. This is with the 6H13C and new stock Tung-Sol 6SLTGT tubes. The 6SLTGT tubes are a bit more musical than the 12AX7 and stock tubes. With the stock tubes the amp sounds more like the V.

The differences are not very large, so I wonder if the ECC35 would be a dramatic step up. On the other hand I now enjoy the VI a lot and can listen to it thought the day, so I'm happy.

I also wonder if a custom cable on the AKG 701's would have a bigger impact than hunting for more tubes. Right now I am just using a 4 foot section of the stock cable with a 4 pin Neurtrik plug (using balanced wiring in stock cable).

Does anyone have sufficient experience to chime in here?

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #75 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new stand for the MKVI has just arrived.

Lil'Knight: How did you get your bias so low?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back