LCD-X and XC Update
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #2,611 of 2,723
Google their comparative weights.... about the same saving as getting a (severe) hair cut. 😁

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #2,612 of 2,723
72g Vs 60g

That will be £200, sir. All major credit cards accepted. 😃

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #2,613 of 2,723
Guys does the carbon fiber headband really make a difference comfort wise, the only reason I don't reach for my LCD-X often nowadays is the weight :frowning2:
I weighed my stock metal headband and my Carbon fiber headband. CF was 16 grams less (maybe 19 grams, I posted it in this thread somewhere). Basically 1/2 an ounce. So, no. It does not make a difference. I didn't buy it for the weight savings though. I bought it to match by LCD-XC cups.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #2,614 of 2,723
It's absolutely worth it because you can't get that string subbase rumble with the Hifimans especially after EQing the X.
The only equalizer I use is the schiit Lokius with my topping d90le/a90d stack & the loki mini plus with my ef600 dac/amp.
I use a dap for all my music with rca or xlr cables. I really enjoy my lcd-x (original version)
I am wondering weather to buy the 2021 update version aswell if it is that much better & keep both. I don't sell my headphones im a horder when it comes to my audio gear. Lol

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #2,615 of 2,723
Hi to everyone!
I bought an LCD-XC (2021 Rev) and paired with a Fiio K7 and those sound absolutely lifeless and something like "2D" (only horizontal imaging, absolutely no depth)
At least I tried my LCD-XC with an Apollo Twin, and even with this, those sounded so much better with this soundcard.
I read on another forum that the Liquid Gold X pair absolutely fantastic with Audeze headphones, but it's unfortunately out of stock and at it's standard price (999$).
Could someone point me to a low cost amplifier (under 500,EU) that pairs well with those in the meantime that i wait for the Liquid Gold X to be in stock?
If now there are better suggestions/pairings at the price or slightly higher of the Liquid Gold X I might consider other "definitive" amplifiers.
Somewhere don't want those "measurement kings" like Topping.
Many thanks in advance to everyone could help me!

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,616 of 2,723
Hi to everyone!
I bought an LCD-XC (2021 Rev) and paired with a Fiio K7 and those sound absolutely lifeless and something like "2D" (only horizontal imaging, absolutely no depth)
At least I tried my LCD-XC with an Apollo Twin, and even with this, those sounded so much better with this soundcard.
I read on another forum that the Liquid Gold X pair absolutely fantastic with Audeze headphones, but it's unfortunately out of stock and at it's standard price (999$).
Could someone point me to a low cost amplifier (under 500,EU) that pairs well with those in the meantime that i wait for the Liquid Gold X to be in stock?
If now there are better suggestions/pairings at the price or slightly higher of the Liquid Gold X I might consider other "definitive" amplifiers.
I don't know why XC sounds the way it does with your amps. Have you checked to see if your player is connected directly to your DAC? (i.e. WASAPI or ASIO etc.). Are you listening to low quality mp3's by any chance?
I can also say are that:
- The XC is very revealing, low distortion. It reveals any shortcomings of the system they are connected to.
- The impedance is quite low at 20 ohms, it is not too low, but still low, perhaps that has got something to do with it.
- The bass output from the XC's needs a little boost, and the treble needs a little tame!
As to what to buy, I can only suggest one, in your budget, that I know, will work.
Chord Mojo2.
The only DACs that would exceed the Mojo2 are other Chord DACs, such as the Hugo2 (by about 20% if that!), or the TT2.
But they cost more than the Liquid gold, though I do not know it.
For sub 1000, you'd be hard pushed to get a better sound than Mojo2.
I have also done a Mod. on the XC, to address the bass. It is here on this thread, with details and measurements. just search for it.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #2,617 of 2,723
Hi!
Thanks for your answer.
I use mainly ASIO and Pro Q3, natural phase for EQing them.
with the Apollo Twin was a superb imaging and brilliance of the ultra highs (after 12/13Khz).
With the FiiO I get only horizontal imaging, no depth overall and dark tone (as an example, if I put a 13K shelf of +-10dB I don’t listen absolutely no difference with or without).
I measured the frequency response of the FiiO and it’s flat up to 21K, so actually fine (no dummy load, line input).
I think that 20ohm could be a little problematic or just this amp doesn’t pair well.
As you point me to the Chord, I think I will try this one.
Always liked that they use FPGA for the DAC.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #2,618 of 2,723
Hi to everyone!
Get a Xduoo MT-604, very holographic sound with either Voskhod or Sylvania tubes (stock is decent as well), if you can spend a bit more Tor Audio Roger.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #2,619 of 2,723
As you point me to the Chord, I think I will try this one.
Always liked that they use FPGA for the DAC.
The FPGA is just a general gate-array. It is used for digital processing only. There is an actual DAC inside, a 4 element pulse-array DAC.
Proprietary technology of Rob Watts, the designer.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,620 of 2,723
Get a Xduoo MT-604, very holographic sound with either Voskhod or Sylvania tubes (stock is decent as well), if you can spend a bit more Tor Audio Roger.
Thanks so much for your answer.
I read that you also have a Violectric V550.
How it compares with MT-604?
Always used solid state, and wondering how much tubes introduces good distortions.
Are those two really that far off?

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,621 of 2,723
Thanks so much for your answer.
I read that you also have a Violectric V550.
How it compares with MT-604?
Always used solid state, and wondering how much tubes introduces good distortions.
Are those two really that far off?
For a solid state V550 is an excellant pairing with LCD-X, it makes them slam really hard (more so than my HE1000SE), this is my choce for EDM, the sound is also very detailed and clean, MT-604 doesn't slam like V550 but being a tube it is more holographic sound, and of course it not as detailed or clean as the V550 but I still like to listed to it every now and then, one thing to consider about MT-604 it has L/R independent volume control so bit tedius to volume match everytime you want to change volume so you'l need a DAC with volume control, I use Aune X8 with it. I also have the Mojo 2 but frankly I find it bit anemic with the LCD-X, I like it more with the Focal Clear and Radiance, I suggest you auditon first if possible before any purchase as this just my subjective experience.

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #2,623 of 2,723
Damn, if the Violectric cost something less I would have bought this one.
Always liked slam, imaging precision and detail of this one, or at least, when I tried it with LCD-4
There is also Lake People G111 from the same company, I haven't heard it yet but @WaveTheory reviewed the V550 and said G111 sound singature is similar to it, since LCD-X doesn't require too much power I think it should pair well but this is my speculation of course.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,624 of 2,723
I also have the Mojo 2 but frankly I find it bit anemic with the LCD-X
Can I please check: are you referring to the Mojo 2 as a dac only, or using it as a dac-amp? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back