LCD-X and XC Update
Nov 17, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #2,596 of 2,741
This is not exactly the case, the measurements carried out by Audeze have te ear gain but are carried out with a different instrument, the Neumann KU100, which returns a different frequency response than the GRAS 43AG-7 used by Crinacle and the others.

Therefore it is true, it is not possible to match the graphs provided by Audeze with the Harman 2018 target.

To overcome this you must use a different target which corresponds to a straight line with a slope of 1.5db slope tilt like the following image:

FR.png

What you see is the frequency response of my LCD-X that I digitized using the frequency response that Audeze provided me

Below is the same frequency response with the EQ I applied using the graphic tool:

FR_EQ.png

I recreated the target in question and loaded it onto the instrument as it is not among those made available.

As you can see for example, the gain that is given to compensate for the lack at 4000hz is still necessary as you would with the frequency response generated by the GRAS at more or less the same amount, therefore this shows that the gain for the ear is also present in measurements with the KU100.

This is the method that Audeze uses to correct its headphones with the Audeze Reveal tool, however in the correction it made for the 2021 LCD-X it was limited only to correcting the lack at 4000hz by around 5db and increasing the low end by 2db, without lowering the mid band so as not to distort the typical house sound (with a more neutral and less U-shaped sound) and without decreasing the peak at 10800hz so as not to remove air, as follows:

FR_AudezeEQ.png
FR_AudezeEQ_compensated.png
Very interesting.

So how would I go about digitising my own Audeze graph? as it would be very useful to do this myself, and compare to my current settings :)

Thanks

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #2,597 of 2,741
While we are going on about EQ - I pulled the LCD-X out of cold storage tonight, and paired it with:

Eletech Inferno headphone cable
Fed signal from my Gustard P26 with Burson V6 Classic opamps

The DAC and headphone amp are more or less linear, so the aforementioned combo add a hard hitting low end, while filling in the vocals and also slightly rolling off the treble. Sound is much more expressive than stock LCD-X IMO.

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #2,598 of 2,741
Very interesting.

So how would I go about digitising my own Audeze graph? as it would be very useful to do this myself, and compare to my current settings :)

Thanks
I used the tool on this site:

https://apps.automeris.io/wpd/

it is not very immediate and intuitive, there is however a video tutorial that teaches you in broad terms how to use it, however if you are a determined type like me, you will succeed

Once you've digitized your frequency response, you can also use REW for equalization

Immagine.png

as you can see I highlighted the target curve settings in yellow to show you that the 1.5db slope is required.

I limit to equalizing only the peaks, otherwise the sound becomes too unnatural

Immagine1.png

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #2,599 of 2,741
I used the tool on this site:

https://apps.automeris.io/wpd/

it is not very immediate and intuitive, there is however a video tutorial that teaches you in broad terms how to use it, however if you are a determined type like me, you will succeed

Once you've digitized your frequency response, you can also use REW for equalization

as you can see I highlighted the target curve settings in yellow to show you that the 1.5db slope is required.

I limit to equalizing only the peaks, otherwise the sound becomes too unnatural

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this.

So Yesterday I managed to import my FR into REW and have a play around.

First of all, I tried to copy something similar to what you have (reducing all the peaks and keeping things as close to the slope) I pretty much ended up with something that looked very similar to yours

But unfortunately I felt like it was missing some of the magic from my previous EQ.

So back to the drawing board,

I put the current EQ above into REW based off my FR, and began tweaking and i've ended up with something thats like this...
(note...I have no idea if I'm putting the "Target" in the correct place, but my thinking was as long as it follows the line, it should be okay!

Screenshot new EQ.png

So far very happy with this! a slight improvement across the board from the previous

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #2,600 of 2,741
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this.

So Yesterday I managed to import my FR into REW and have a play around.

First of all, I tried to copy something similar to what you have (reducing all the peaks and keeping things as close to the slope) I pretty much ended up with something that looked very similar to yours

But unfortunately I felt like it was missing some of the magic from my previous EQ.

So back to the drawing board,

I put the current EQ above into REW based off my FR, and began tweaking and i've ended up with something thats like this...
(note...I have no idea if I'm putting the "Target" in the correct place, but my thinking was as long as it follows the line, it should be okay!

Screenshot new EQ.png

So far very happy with this! a slight improvement across the board from the previous
The target slope has been set correctly and I confirm that it is as you said, you simply follow the straight line.

I saw that you had to significantly increase the target level, I'm afraid you made some mistakes in the settings of the X and Y axes when digitizing your frequency response, if you like I can give you a hand in doing so.

I saw that you made a slight boost on the low frequencies to your liking, moving away a little from the neutral response but it's fine if you like it that way, I'm not an excessive bass head, although I listen to a lot of EDM of all genres, I prefer a bass tight and polite

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #2,601 of 2,741
The target slope has been set correctly and I confirm that it is as you said, you simply follow the straight line.

I saw that you had to significantly increase the target level, I'm afraid you made some mistakes in the settings of the X and Y axes when digitizing your frequency response, if you like I can give you a hand in doing so.

I saw that you made a slight boost on the low frequencies to your liking, moving away a little from the neutral response but it's fine if you like it that way, I'm not an excessive bass head, although I listen to a lot of EDM of all genres, I prefer a bass tight and polite
That could just be my EQ?

If I attach the original map, it looks accurate across the board.
No EQ.png

But please tell me if that doesn't look correct and I would love the help to properly map this out!

I'm also not a basshead really, the 105hz shelf is a WIP for me, I'm keeping it here for now, as it matches what I had set from the harman EQ and will tweak it further as time goes on!

Thanks

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #2,602 of 2,741
I was referring to this:

Screenshot_new_EQ_.png

I don't understand why you were forced to increase the target level so much, yet looking at the image of your frequency response on the previous page, it seems that you have positioned the vertical axis correctly.

However this shouldn't be a big deal, but I couldn't help but notice it

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #2,603 of 2,741
Hello I am new to this lcd-x & xc update thread. I have joined because I just purchased a LCD-X its a 2020 November model which I unfortunately think its before the update model serial number is:7527301.
Anyway my question to owners that I would like to ask is do many old model LCD-X Owners prefer it to the updated version & also has anyone ever used a schiit Lokius equalizer on the pre update models to make them sound similar to the 2021 update models.
I own the Lokius equalizer already and don't want to go digital equalizer. THANKS for any help with my ramblings . Lol

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,604 of 2,741
This is how you can check yourself. Though your serial was built in October 2020, so it would be older revision.

Run your finger across the horizontal bars on the driver surface. You should feel 6 distinct bars (the fazors). If you feel more than 6, you have an old unit.

Also, the newer pads do not have a faux leather bottom, which the old pads do.

The new pads should look like this:

newpad.png

Ands the old pad below:

old pad.png

We do not have new drivers with old pads.

For those who may be curious, here are the start dates and serials for the new configuration:

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather-Free 7527615
11/9/20 LCD-XC Leather 8523700
11/23/20 LCD-X Leather 7527600
11/23/20 LCD-XC Leather-Free 8523710

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #2,608 of 2,741
Looking to get a summit tube ( or a SS amp to tame the XC ) amp for my XC's. Looking at Eddie Current, and a Auris Audio. Anyone have recommendations or experience with the brands I mentioned? Thanks

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #2,609 of 2,741
I already own the arya stealth & the he1000v2 which I prefer out of the 2.
Just wanted to get an audeze as well for something different.
It's absolutely worth it because you can't get that string subbase rumble with the Hifimans especially after EQing the X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back