LCD-X and XC Update
Nov 15, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,246 of 2,723
Anyone has fitting issues in XC? mine arrived 21st Oct, and somehow I missed the thump and bass impact, or is it the way it sound?
Gustard X16 and H16 to drive them from SE.
Has the sound filled out now that you've had them a few weeks? Mine were thin out of the box, but something "clicked" after a few listens (no real burn in on my end).

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #1,247 of 2,723
Has the sound filled out now that you've had them a few weeks? Mine were thin out of the box, but something "clicked" after a few listens (no real burn in on my end).
you are correct, it does filled the hump of the sub bass (but not too much) now.
But I honestly I also not 100% sure since I do not have any comparison around my area.

To sum up yes, it is better both in quality & quantity in lows.

ps: I came from Sundara

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,249 of 2,723
I just got the LCD-X 2021 and applied the Audeze supplied EQ to it in Roon. Jeepers, it strikes me as pretty close to the ideal as far as frequence balance. Anyone else tried this? I wonder what is in that preset....
We should be able to find out visually if their VST version of Reveal+ still works with EqualizerAPO. You can import it and view the resulting curve applied in the configuration editor.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #1,251 of 2,723
Today I received the LCD-X, let it warm up for a few hours, listened until late at night. So far without EQ, played a little with the bass control, let's see if I can find a max. 5-way EQ for my RME ADI-2 Dac, on whose IEM-output the LCD-X is attached. The headphones are more comfortable than my Beyerdynamic T1.3. Siting in the relaxchair, the weight of the Audeze is easy to bear. I am quite satisfied with the sound, unusually neutral to my ear, but very appealing.
Closed headphones are not really necessary, but they can be advantageous occasionally, because the XC is also available, so I ponder a bit.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,252 of 2,723
I just got the LCD-X 2021 and applied the Audeze supplied EQ to it in Roon. Jeepers, it strikes me as pretty close to the ideal as far as frequence balance. Anyone else tried this? I wonder what is in that preset....

We should be able to find out visually if their VST version of Reveal+ still works with EqualizerAPO. You can import it and view the resulting curve applied in the configuration editor.

I'm also curious to know
I am also interested to know what the 2021 reveal eq preset is. If anyone can reverse engineer it via peace or get comment from Audeze I would appreciate it. I won't detail my experience with reveal because I can't do that and maintain proper forum etiquette lol, but it isn't on my machine currently and won't be again.

I am really interested in what the "official" "reference" curve is because I use mine for reference. I am currently running just a 1.5db boost at 4khz and a bass shelf sometimes via Pro-Q 3 in my DAW and Audirvana. To my ears it sounds extremely natural. A HEADFI member that works for Audeze recommended something very similar to that in the LCD-X thread and it sounds about right to me and it wouldn't surprise me if that was about it.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,253 of 2,723
Just got my 2021 LCD-XC coming from a 2018 model. For the Roon preset users, are you using Linear and what percentage wet? I am currently around 50% with a Lyr 3 PSVane tube (neutral). Still feel it missing the thump of my older models but wondering if its my ears. Otherwise everything else seems like a vast improvement.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,254 of 2,723
Just got my 2021 LCD-XC coming from a 2018 model. For the Roon preset users, are you using Linear and what percentage wet? I am currently around 50% with a Lyr 3 PSVane tube (neutral). Still feel it missing the thump of my older models but wondering if its my ears. Otherwise everything else seems like a vast improvement.
There is nothing wrong with your ears. The bass level (slam?), not bass quality, is the one area where the 2021 has taken a step back. Everywhere else it is as good or better, to my ears. On my 2018 XC I used a 2-4 db bass shelf. On the 2021, I use a 4-6 db bass shelf. So not a huge difference, but noticeable for sure. Some of the perceived lack of bass is due to the mids being brought up to relatively proper levels.

Nov 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #1,256 of 2,723
There is nothing wrong with your ears. The bass level (slam?), not bass quality, is the one area where the 2021 has taken a step back. Everywhere else it is as good or better, to my ears. On my 2018 XC I used a 2-4 db bass shelf. On the 2021, I use a 4-6 db bass shelf. So not a huge difference, but noticeable for sure. Some of the perceived lack of bass is due to the mids being brought up to relatively proper levels.
Glad to hear my ears are not deceiving me. mind sharing your EQ settings? Still new to EQ

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,257 of 2,723
Hey Metal, I'm using the convolution eq under the Audeze presets in Roon DSP. There's another couple of options, one is for low latency, the other is a higher quality one - and I noted quite a difference between the two. The convolution seems fairly gentle, and I really haven't noticed artifacts or issues. I'd like to see other companies follow suit, I think a good eq would really enhance some of the Focal line, for example. And, I must complain about Focal cables one more time, although I am a Focal fanboy....

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,258 of 2,723
I just posted a review of the 2021 edition on my YT channel:

Enjoy!

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,259 of 2,723
EQ settings, I found what I was looking for in the review of Chrono, as follows:
  • Low Shelf at 80hz, +3dB Q of 0.7
  • Peak at 4000hz, +2dB Q of 1.41
I'm satisfied with the result.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,260 of 2,723

Users who are viewing this thread

Back